Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Gen3
93 Posts
Thanks for sharing, and it backs up what I have gathered about exhausts.

The mid-pipe is important playing a role with the "2-pipe" extractor section, since "2-pipe" section is shorter, and most FS come with flare tapered mid-pipes (greater or equal to 65mm OD to muffler). It seems you have a straight mid-pipe, and is the Akra a 60mm?

Straight mid pipe gives less reduction to mid-range torque (but significant improvement over stock "cat" box), flared mid pipe gives over-rev and that last 5hp bump at the end.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Not true different link pipes different outcomes, I don't have a brand preference, it is more obvious in full systems between brands as they use different bends and widths at different points and will show up more. Most of the stuff on the street isn't going to be super noticeable you'd notice a sprocket change more. Full systems are way more noticeable as the headers and mid section are very different and exhaust exit at 60mm or 65mm-70mm if bsb race system VS stock 54.

A good example of diff brands diff links was yoshimura on the gen 4 having a link pipe that looped to get more mid range VS others.

The biggest gain though in the USA is a flash because the bikes are limited to 160 by default in the ecu, no idea why they do that VS pretty much the rest of the world???

for headers yes, the different primary diameter, length, steps and merge style make a big difference

but as i said in my post, talking about just stock headers and 3/4 exhaust, if the pipe diameter and lenght are the same the performance will be about the same.... the extreme example of the yoshi is an oddball thing since no other company does that, theyre all pretty much just a straight shot

21 - 25 of 25 Posts