Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2017 ZX10R
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Three days ago I had my Akra Carbon 3/4 system mounted on my '17 10R and went for a ride with my friends. We were doing 2nd gear roll runs and I pretty much slaughtered everyone. My bike is flashed (Woolich tuned) with a KN filter. Yesterday I slapped on my M4 GP19 slip and the same group of friends rode out to the same strip of road we always run on. Anyway, I was slaughtered by the same bikes I whooped easily 2 days prior. I completely lost all low/mid end power, and although I got the jump on them by 4th gear they would just pull away from me as though I was on a 600cc bike. I was utterly astonished that a exhaust change would flip the tables so dramatically, so I'm now a firm believer that exhausts do serve a performance purpose if that's what you are looking for when buying exhaust systems. Looks/sounds/performance....I'll take performance over looks and sounds.

I love the sound of the M4 but it will be going up on Marketplace Monday, since performance matters to me more than sound. BTW, I had a tune loaded specifically for the M4 but it did no good. :(

·
Registered
2017 ZX10R
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
M4
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle

Akrapovics

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle brake Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2017 ZX10R
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well my neighbors must love me now!

·
Registered
2017 ZX10R
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After having the opportunity of owning short/long exhausts for this bike I must agree. I will stick with long for now. :)

·
Registered
815 Posts
M4 is grabbage same as two brothers and taylor made, they cater to the street kids that want looks, performance always Akra, leo vince, sc projects, yoshimura, graves im prob missing a few others here but you get the jist and link pipe if full system out of budget.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
M4 is grabbage same as two brothers and taylor made, they cater to the street kids that want looks, performance always Akra, leo vince, sc projects, yoshimura, graves im prob missing a few others here but you get the jist and link pipe if full system out of budget.
I agree. Two brothers has always been the "cheap" way out and idk, they never seemed really performance oriented from my point of view. I can't really recall any "race teams" running Two brothers lol.. I could be wrong about the race teams not running them but I have never seen it myself.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Of course it does matter. Short pipes are known to rob power. From my personal experience kawa loves long pipes. Power vs. sound always the trade. Full exhaust even better.

·
Registered
2017 ZX10R
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've also learned that loud pipes gives you the perception that you are going faster than you are actually going. I've alternated between a M4, SC Project CRT, Akra short Ti can and my Akra Carbon long can and without a doubt I can tell a significant power increase (butt Dyno) when the Akra long can is mounted even though it's not a loud can. In regards to looks/sound I preferred the CRT, however, it was too darn loud and since I don't wear plugs I had to let it go. As @ypyk_xau stated, it comes down to power vs. sound and I rank power higher than sound. Since the Akra long can is black I can live with its looks. :)

·
Registered
2014 ZX10R
110 Posts
Any issues with placing different brand mufflers on your Akra midpipe, as far as the insert diameter and the brackets? I have a Graves full system and I'm getting tired of how loud it is. I'm looking to get an Akra slip on as well.

·
Registered
2017 ZX10R
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Any issues with placing different brand mufflers on your Akra midpipe, as far as the insert diameter and the brackets? I have a Graves full system and I'm getting tired of how loud it is. I'm looking to get an Akra slip on as well.
Not at all because the Akra link pipe was only used when I had the Akra Ti short and long can mounted. The SC Project CRT comes with its own link pipe since the diameter coming from the collector is 70mm, and of course the M4 as you already know is just a slip on. Also, whenever I switched them out I always flashed a tune specific to the exhaust mounted(Woolich Kit).

·
Registered
303 Posts
M4 is for broke squids that hate their neighbors.

try not to make it a brand bash... the brand is irrelevant to performance.... pipe length + pipe diameter is what matters... if the M4 was the same length and diameter as the akra the performance would be same (assuming same headers used with both)... as others mentioned the ZX10R works best with a full length pipe

the tuning would probably also need to be adjusted for the short pipe... but even once tuned i bet it still wont perform as well as the longer pipe

·
Registered
102 Posts
try not to make it a brand bash... the brand is irrelevant to performance.... pipe length + pipe diameter is what matters... if the M4 was the same length and diameter as the akra the performance would be same (assuming same headers used with both)... as others mentioned the ZX10R works best with a full length pipe

the tuning would probably also need to be adjusted for the short pipe... but even once tuned i bet it still wont perform as well as the longer pipe
Actually I am not so sure about the performance gain through the rev range.

Usually a shorty pipe is known to provide more low end and early mid range gains.

Long pipes are better for upper mid range and top end gains.

What is also an important factor is the velocity stacks, filter along with the tuning that is paired with the exhaust option.

I note that Akra have a shorty option and as well as the longer option. Horses for courses.

·
Registered
815 Posts

Not true different link pipes different outcomes, I don't have a brand preference, it is more obvious in full systems between brands as they use different bends and widths at different points and will show up more. Most of the stuff on the street isn't going to be super noticeable you'd notice a sprocket change more. Full systems are way more noticeable as the headers and mid section are very different and exhaust exit at 60mm or 65mm-70mm if bsb race system VS stock 54.

A good example of diff brands diff links was yoshimura on the gen 4 having a link pipe that looped to get more mid range VS others.

The biggest gain though in the USA is a flash because the bikes are limited to 160 by default in the ecu, no idea why they do that VS pretty much the rest of the world???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Three days ago I had my Akra Carbon 3/4 system mounted on my '17 10R and went for a ride with my friends. We were doing 2nd gear roll runs and I pretty much slaughtered everyone. My bike is flashed (Woolich tuned) with a KN filter. Yesterday I slapped on my M4 GP19 slip and the sane group of friends rode out to the same strip of road we always run on. Anyway, I was slaughtered by the same bikes I whooped easily 2 days prior. I completely lost all low/mid end power, and although I got the jump on them by 4th gear they would just pull away from me as though I was on a 600cc bike. I was utterly astonished that a exhaust change would flip the tables so dramatically, so I now a firm believer that exhausts do serve a performance purpose if that's what you are looking for when buying exhaust systems. Looks/sounds/performance....I'll take performance over looks and sounds.

I love the sound of the M4 but it will be going up on Marketplace Monday, since performance matters to me more than sound. BTW, I had a tune loaded specifically for the M4 but it did no good. :(

Nice Ass bike!

Although you have your reasons, I would've NEVER gave up an AKRA for an M4! I had an Akra on my ZX9Rs (1998 and 2001) and loved both the sound AND performance with it!

·
Registered
2017 ZX10R
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice Ass bike!

Although you have your reasons, I would've NEVER gave up an AKRA for an M4! I had an Akra on my ZX9Rs (1998 and 2001) and loved both the sound AND performance with it!
Thanks,
I still have the Akra which is currently mounted, but tried the M4 out because I was curious. M4 is up for sale and the Akra is now a permanent fixture on my bike.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts