Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your exhaust servo is not cycling/working, read on for a possible fix...
I bought my 06 10 with dual slip-on Yoshi's and an fi light.. After reading on here how to find a code on the dash, I discovered it was for the exhaust servo. I figured it was due to the slip-ons, somehow they affected the ECU/Servo and prompted the fi light, I think code 63? I later determined that it was the servo itself that caused the code as it was not functioning. I would turn the key on, and nothing would happen at the servo, no clicking (stripped gears) or anything.. It was not a stuck butterfly either as I grabbed one of the cables and pulled on it and operated the butterfly by hand. So I was extremely close to buying the $100+ Ivans eliminator when I found a used servo for sale locally. I got home last night, removed the tail and original servo, and did a temporary hook up of the replacement servo I bought to make sure it worked.. All was well; I hooked it up, turned on the key, it cycled, and no more fi light.. I was stoked to remove the black electrical tape from my gauges.. So I unhooked it in order to get everything situated and figured for the heck of it I would reinstall my original servo to see if it would still not cycle and trip the code.. Well, I hooked it up and turned on the key and to my surpise it cycled??!! And, no code... Strange... So, here is what I gather may have been the original problem with the servo... Either the servo motor was slightly frozen and by holding the cable wheel/gear with pliers while I loosened the 8mm bolt, it some how broke free; OR the electrical connections were loose in some manner; OR by unhooking, re-hooking, swapping out servos, etc......, it somehow reset the servo or ECU... I decided to re-install my original servo to see if it malfunctions again, and if so determine what caused it.
I figured this might be a worthy lesson to share with others.. If your exhaust servo is not functioning or cycling, check to make sure that the two connections are secure, you may want to unhook them and then hook them up again making sure that the wires going into the back of the plugs are not loose or coming out.. And/or unplug the servo, turn on the ignition and then plug it in, or turn off the ignition, plug back in, then turn on the ignition again... Or carefully try to spin the pulley an 1/8" or so in either direction to see if it was frozen..
Point is, if you have a servo failure for whatever reason, you have nothing to loose by trying some series of the above actions before having to buy a new servo or Ivans eliminator..
If anyone knows more of why my servo started working again, please share.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't built up enough posts to list in the classifieds, but I have the extra working servo that I bought if someone needs it. PM me if interested. I can provide you with my ebay or titantalk.com history for credability. Thanks

·
Registered
681 Posts
i had the same problem. I could get it to work for a little while, but it did stop working so I took it apart and found that it was worn out on the inside. It no longer was making contact.
It will die sooner or later so keep the other one around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts