Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie. Just bought an '09 ZX-10R Lime Green SE. I can't decide on the exhaust! I want to get rid of the stock exhaust and I like the looks of the M4 GP S/O, but I'm afraid it will be too loud. Can anyone help this newbie with some exhaust advice? :dontknow:

·
Registered
874 Posts
From the newbie section:

Which is the best exhaust for my 10R?

NO ONE CARES. There is not one perfect exhaust for the 10r. If you're lookin for extra hp you're nuts to begin with so who cares about that. If you want sound, D&D is loud and typically the shorter the pipe the louder it will be.

Get what exhaust YOU think looks best and leave it at that. it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. MOST all aftermarket exhausts will out last your time with the 10r so IMO, thats not a factor.

If you get a full system you will need a pcIII and remaping. IMHO a s/o is best for most folks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an '08 and I first went with a Jardine GP1 because I like the megaphone GP look. The Jardine replaces the muffler and the muffler chamber under the engine, connecting to the header pipes. This was really loud. I felt pretty obnoxious. I decided to go with the Hotbodies Growler MGP and I really like it. It retains the muffler chamber under the engine so that keeps it quieter. It has a deeper, slightly louder tone. Probably any slip-on that retains the chamber underneath will not be so loud.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an '08 and I first went with a Jardine GP1 because I like the megaphone GP look. The Jardine replaces the muffler and the muffler chamber under the engine, connecting to the header pipes. This was really loud. I felt pretty obnoxious. I decided to go with the Hotbodies Growler MGP and I really like it. It retains the muffler chamber under the engine so that keeps it quieter. It has a deeper, slightly louder tone. Probably any slip-on that retains the chamber underneath will not be so loud.
Thanks, upnflames. That is useful info. I've read Jardines are obnoxiously loud and I don't want to be that loud. Just a little louder than stock and a bit more aesthetically pleasing on the eye. Have you ever hear an M4 GP s/o on a ZX-10R?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks, upnflames. That is useful info. I've read Jardines are obnoxiously loud and I don't want to be that loud. Just a little louder than stock and a bit more aesthetically pleasing on the eye. Have you ever hear an M4 GP s/o on a ZX-10R?
M4 sells a stage two quiet insert for 35 bucks. I'm looking into getting the m4 gp when I have the money and will probably be buying the insert as well as I don't like attracting too much attention.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
M4 sells a stage two quiet insert for 35 bucks. I'm looking into getting the m4 gp when I have the money and will probably be buying the insert as well as I don't like attracting too much attention.
I've read of about the insert/baffle for the M4. So are you saying that from factory the M4 exhaust comes with a insert/baffle which makes it quieter and you can buy an optional one that makes it further quite (perhaps replacing the the factory insert/baffle)?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've read of about the insert/baffle for the M4. So are you saying that from factory the M4 exhaust comes with a insert/baffle which makes it quieter and you can buy an optional one that makes it further quite (perhaps replacing the the factory insert/baffle)?
Yes, M4 makes a secondary baffle that can be inserted into the pipe and they sell this seperately for around 35 bucks. This secondary silencer quiets the bike significantly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just put arata slip on on my 08 but first I listened to it with no muffler, just the chamber on. It was not nearly as loud as I expected. You might listen to it and judge that way, it only takes a few minutes to do. Mine is pretty quiet with the arata, like and akro, but much deeper than stock. A smaller slip on that retains boom box might be the best depending on how loud you do or dont want it to be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts