Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been hearing a ticking that sounds like an exhaust Leak for a couple months now. Strange thing is, I only hear the ticking when I start the bike up after not having ridden for a little bit, like maybe half an hour or hour. If the bike is still pretty hot, then it goes away. Any other time I've ever had an exhaust leak in any other vehicle, it sounds the same no matter what. Only thing I can think of is that when the bike is hot the metal pipes constrict just enough to seal the leak. I have graves headers, and I'm pretty sure all the bolts are torqued well (I'm gonna check again) so any ideas of what it could be if it's not a leak. First vid is when I fire it up, the second vid is after it was ridden for about minutes. Sounds like it's coming from left side of the motor.

https://youtu.be/DpB3xeSBWkE

https://youtu.be/stArgP-SuEY

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,715 Posts
Exhaust leak? I suppose that could happen, but highly doubtful. You'd be able to see a leak pretty easily by looking for soot developed around the leak. It honestly sounds like cam chain slap.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exhaust leak? I suppose that could happen, but highly doubtful. You'd be able to see a leak pretty easily by looking for soot developed around the leak. It honestly sounds like cam chain slap.
Well, the bike had the cam chain slap when I first bought it. I adjusted it and haven't thought about it since. I remember the cam chain slap being more racketty and on the right side of the bike. I looked in there and couldn't see any soot or build up either, but I cant really see every angle.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,715 Posts
Well, the bike had the cam chain slap when I first bought it. I adjusted it and haven't thought about it since. I remember the cam chain slap being more racketty and on the right side of the bike. I looked in there and couldn't see any soot or build up either, but I cant really see every angle.
You need an inspection mirror and a flash light to be able to get in and around the area for a good look. The fact that it goes away when hot leads me to believe the slap is back. Metal expands when it gets hot, not constricts. So in theory the pipes getting hot would make the leak worse, not better. And you'd see black soot.

The cam chain slap usually gets a bit quieter when hot as the motor expands slightly and so does the tensioner.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You need an inspection mirror and a flash light to be able to get in and around the area for a good look. The fact that it goes away when hot leads me to believe the slap is back. Metal expands when it gets hot, not constricts. So in theory the pipes getting hot would make the leak worse, not better. And you'd see black soot.

The cam chain slap usually gets a bit quieter when hot as the motor expands slightly and so does the tensioner.
I just got home from work and am gonna go look at it again and see if I can see any soot. I watched listened to others videos on cam chains and they seem noisier than mine. I'd try adjusting the chain but I'm worried about over tightening it. Plus, it sounds like it's coming from the left side of the bike (left side when seated on it) I had my wife come out to and listen to it to get a second opinion just to make sure. She said left as well.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,715 Posts
I just got home from work and am gonna go look at it again and see if I can see any soot. I watched listened to others videos on cam chains and they seem noisier than mine. I'd try adjusting the chain but I'm worried about over tightening it. Plus, it sounds like it's coming from the left side of the bike (left side when seated on it) I had my wife come out to and listen to it to get a second opinion just to make sure. She said left as well.

Check the retaining springs on the header to be sure they aren't rattling around against the pipe. Other than that, the only thing on the left side is the alternator. But that's down low. There isn't anything in the head up high other than the cams themselves.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I get the same noise when starting cold, also running a full Graves. Like you I also thought maybe it was a leak. Ended up taking it all apart and doing it over again. It didn't really change. I found one spot that rattled was the bolt filling the O2 sensor came a bit loose and the washer was rattling. I agree with Sky, never really thought about it but could very possibly be the retaining springs.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts