Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im putting my factory header back on with a slipon but not a fan of the ugly light brown section where the butterfly valve is. Has anyone hot coated theres black or even use a high heat paint? how hot does the pipe get in that lower location?

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
U should be fine with High temp. paint/powder coating, the headers are the hottest and ceramic would be the best choice there.
I was gonna powder coat my headers but a couple HD guys said it doesnt hold on theres i decied not to try it instead im looking @ purchasing a ceramic gun and trying that along w/ my powder coating on the side.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
U should be fine with High temp. paint/powder coating, the headers are the hottest and ceramic would be the best choice there.
I was gonna powder coat my headers but a couple HD guys said it doesnt hold on theres i decied not to try it instead im looking @ purchasing a ceramic gun and trying that along w/ my powder coating on the side.
Right on! Ya i figured just a high temp. paint used for engines or bbq's would work lol. I just wanna paint the exposed part under the rear set so it doesnt look so ugly.

Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Powder coating is usually baked on at 350-450 degrees F so that probably wouldn't work well with our bikes, it'd eventually wear off.

·
Registered
567 Posts
had mine ceramic coated and they have lasted over a year with no signs of flaking or color coming through. they actually clean up better and the bike feels a little peppier. all i did was shorten/gut my stock can and ceramic the pipes inside and out. found a hotrod shop in missouri that did them for next to nothing and has lots of colors. two weeks and they were back on the bike.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got some high heat ceramic paint good to 1200 degrees F . Im gonna try that first and see how she holds up

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
Powder coating is usually baked on at 350-450 degrees F so that probably wouldn't work well with our bikes, it'd eventually wear off.
correct but there is high temp that runs to 1200 degrees and is capable for most parts of the exahust ;mid pipe y-pipe,can/cans. Just not the headers

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
correct but there is high temp that runs to 1200 degrees and is capable for most parts of the exahust ;mid pipe y-pipe,can/cans. Just not the headers
Interesting, I'd like to turn mine black on the bottom but we'll see...prolly jsut get a cat eliminator and leave the exhaust the way it is...but black coated exhaust would look tits...

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
Interesting, I'd like to turn mine black on the bottom but we'll see...prolly jsut get a cat eliminator and leave the exhaust the way it is...but black coated exhaust would look tits...
Heres a 10 with powder coated exhaust

·
Registered
16 Posts
Jet-Hot ceramic coating is another option. Never tried it on titanium but I can't see why it wouldn't work. I have the regular silver color on other bikes and it has held up very well. They make it in black and other colors and also in a verson for ultra high temperature like turbo stuff.

I've tried the high temperature paint on headers and it doesn't last very long.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I painted mine with Hi Temp Exhaust paint and it started peeling after about 6mths.
I getting it done in ceramic soon.

·
Registered
66 Posts
had mine ceramic coated and they have lasted over a year with no signs of flaking or color coming through. they actually clean up better and the bike feels a little peppier. all i did was shorten/gut my stock can and ceramic the pipes inside and out. found a hotrod shop in missouri that did them for next to nothing and has lots of colors. two weeks and they were back on the bike.

Joe
What was the name and number of the shop used?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts