Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone actually gotten these settings dialed in? I mean beyond the generic settings woolich recommends? I know I could measure the shit but was hoping someone here has actually done it with the headers off and gotten precise measurements to enter in to the software.

·
Registered
61 Posts
These are the settings for my 2016 with full Akrapovic exhaust. Measured before installing on the bike and works like a charm.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, after starting the thread I noticed my settings were way way off, new laptop so new install of the software. I made some changes based on best guesses so have 43mm and 900mm for diameter and length. That's based off of gen 4 headers. Did not think the gen 5 would have smaller diameter headers tbh. Also set my offset to 200 cause yeah why not lol. I have a shorty pipe so zero back pressure so can't imagine there being that much offset delay from exhaust valve open till eg readings on the wideband. I'm going to modify the length to match yours, any idea if the akro is longer or shorter for the header portion?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks, after starting the thread I noticed my settings were way way off, new laptop so new install of the software. I made some changes based on best guesses so have 43mm and 900mm for diameter and length. That's based off of gen 4 headers. Did not think the gen 5 would have smaller diameter headers tbh. Also set my offset to 200 cause yeah why not lol. I have a shorty pipe so zero back pressure so can't imagine there being that much offset delay from exhaust valve open till eg readings on the wideband. I'm going to modify the length to match yours, any idea if the akro is longer or shorter for the header portion?
Let me know if you notice any difference in exhaust sound & performance. Even though Woolich told me to just leave it at 250ms and don't change the other section!!!
Still interested in the results.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ac
Let me know if you notice any difference in exhaust sound & performance. Even though Woolich told me to just leave it at 250ms and don't change the other section!!!
Still interested in the results.
I actually do notice a difference. The sound is cleaner and a bit throatier for lack of better word(at least one I can think of off hand) and the bike feels more snappy. Please note that I didn't notice that shit until I ran an auto tune with the different offset settings already entered prior to logging more wideband data. I'm sure the figures I have are close but not perfect

·
Registered
37 Posts
I ac

I actually do notice a difference. The sound is cleaner and a bit throatier for lack of better word(at least one I can think of off hand) and the bike feels more snappy. Please note that I didn't notice that shit until I ran an auto tune with the different offset settings already entered prior to logging more wideband data. I'm sure the figures I have are close but not perfect
Still interesting......
I don't have the autotune gadget, the price Woolich quoted was more expensive than getting it dynoed by Pro-Cycle who did my R1M.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still interesting......
I don't have the autotune gadget, the price Woolich quoted was more expensive than getting it dynoed by Pro-Cycle who did my R1M.
Ok so can't promise that I am 100% accurate with the noticing the different tone and power as I do tend to run auto tune fairly often but I also got a lil wild with manual adjustment of my maps and made the bike not run so had to go back and load a map share map and then smack I think I autotuned after but I'm not sure right now. Try these settings. It won't harm shit that's for sure. I like the results. I need to take a caliper to my header pipes but just have not bothered yet. The length is one of the biggest things and I can't remember where I found the offset Ms but I found someone using 150 so I split the difference. Let me know.
20200117_204227.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes that's the key, only change one thing at a time so if it isn't better you can just change it back.

To start with I thought I would leave the offset at 250ms like it was but just entered the other information 998cc, 14000rpm, stock headers I measured 40mm and length 860. So pretty close to what you did. Are your headers factory?

Raining here. Might go for a burn in the morning but it sounds the same.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I noticed the temperature went up faster than normal just idling. So that meant maybe the exhaust gas wasn't coming out fast enough so I dropped it alot to definitely see some reaction one way or another.
I went from 250ms as the Max time offset to 100ms. Now that sounded different immediately. After you give it a rev and it goes back to idle, before at 250ms it was like it was catching it's breath as it dropped the revs back to idle and then started to breathe again. At 100ms it is way ahead, already knows it's going back to idle and is smooth, can almost smell fuel. Definitely does something anyway. Have to ride it to see .......

I love DIY on my bikes!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
It rides beautiful, I ended up leaving it at 100ms, 998cc, 14000rpm, 43mm & 850mm. Think I will rack up some kms and flick between maps but so far my bike prefers the SC Project map by Loud pipes save lives I put on L power.

20200118_114428.jpg

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes that's the key, only change one thing at a time so if it isn't better you can just change it back.

To start with I thought I would leave the offset at 250ms like it was but just entered the other information 998cc, 14000rpm, stock headers I measured 40mm and length 860. So pretty close to what you did. Are your headers factory?

Raining here. Might go for a burn in the morning but it sounds the same.
Change the time to 200.. like I said, my dumb ass was getting a lil nuts with the maps so could just be that. I'm gonna try an autotune when the sun comes back up and see what kind of results I get with the new numbers. I'll try and find the article about the Ms times I based my shit on. And yeah stock headers. So 40mm is it? That will help. Not sure if I used the gen 4 size or the akro measurements from a full system to get mine..it works though

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just noticed the first setting/default without exhaust size is 250rpm not 250ms ..........................

Back to 250rpm

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You didn't like it set up with the individual settings? I don't get the 250 rpm deal at all either since the bike doesn't run at that speed. I mean 250 rpm delay I guess I can see kinda but no

·
Registered
37 Posts
Honestly I think those settings are purely for when you autotune the bike & if it has been tuned with a particular setting that's how the ECU will calculate settings for the bike. I went for a 50km burn and it missed and popped under acceleration only once but that was all that I had changed. Once is to often for me!
I sent Woolich another question but they already said leave it & the bloke with his fastest at the isle of man answer also said don't touch it, leave it at 250rpm from Woolich UK.
It definitely felt different but without autotune I can't see any variations as people who have & changed those exhaust settings can. I have removed My 02 sensor as well. Putting precise specifications in will require a precise map rather than me just trying out generic maps until I get it dynoed. Try autotuning yours with those settings changed and you should be able to see the difference?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Yes ms, rpm delays on the exhaust gas offset are only for autotune. The software must know how far away from exhaust exit (cylinder head) to the 02 sensor is as the farther (measured distance) and slower (basic rpm setting) the more the 02 characteristics have changed, as in the 840mm distance you could have gases from 100% 14.000 rpm and gases from 0% throttle and 13 or 12.000 rpm, (tuning tip right there) until ultimately they dissipate so much they are uncountable in the ozone layer, it is a crude way (the only way) of attempting to make the readings of the O2 sensor more accurate, Lambda sensor sensors are always much nearer the exhaust outlet (cylinder head) because there is more than one and they don't need to go on the final section of 1 from 4. The reason you dwell the throttle at set percentages is so you can get a better more consistent reading, to the point of the readings are so accurate that you can change the mixture so little to improve is what your target should be!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts