Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello; I have several of the 04 - 07 stock intake cams modified so that you can run them on the exhaust side. They are 150 exchange including return shipping. I have been building kawasaki engines for 25 years and I am building my 04 engine right now for big top end HP normally aspirated. I will have bigger airbox, larger throttle bodies, ported cylinder head, factory early version race intake cam, higher compression, 1000 rpm higher rev limiter, and full Akro exhaust. I obviously will be moving a lot more air through the engine on the intake side, so I wanted to improve the exhaust side by modifying the intake cam to run on the exhaust side. I also have a friend that wanted to do that on his 05 NOS 10. I had a racing friend of mine who is a lifetime machinist build a custom fixture with a large degree wheel so that we could modify the cams exactly and duplicate it from cam to cam. The first cam is allready installed in my friends NOS bike and he is very happy with the results as he picked up several MPh at the track with no other changes. He has no dyno numbers as he does not dyno his bikes. He goes off what they do at the track. My cam is finished, but my build will not be completed and tuned until about march, so I can not post any numbers until then. I know that other people have done this mod in the past, and I know some people were thinking about doing it, so I figured since we had the fixture to do it precisely I would offer it up here. I am not making any money on this. Honest. The money goes to my friend who does the mod for his time and materials. Is this mod for everybody, No. For people with heavily modified motors I think it helps. For Turbo and NOS motors it should definately help as they need all the help they can get to get the extra exhaust out of the motor. I believe the guy on here with the turbo 10 who has ran 246 mph at Maxton has this done, so it seems to be working for him. This is a very common mod on suzukis. Many people do this mod on the Busa, and 1000's with good results. It's just that it is very easy on them because the cam sensor is on the intake cam. I know from people who have done the mod that it is difficult and has to be exact and that is why we built the fixture to do it right. If someone wants to do the mod and then post dyno numbers, that is fine with me. I just wanted to offer it up for people who have been thinking about doing this. I think the price is very reasonable for the time and effort involved and that also includes return shipping same day. If somebody actually wants their personal cam done and returned, that will take a couple days extra. If nobody is interested, that is fine too. Justoys: I hope you see this. I tried to reply to you on the for sale thread and I kept getting kicked off, so I moved it over here. I wish I was better with computers, but I'm not. Contact me directly if you have any questions, or are interested. Thanks. Mike.

·
Registered
384 Posts
is this mod for the 04-07 only or do 3rd gens qualify since im currently using an 04 exhaust cam in my 08 i would imagine it would. and since im using the 04 exhaust cam already would i see gains or losses with this mod

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cam mod.

blck10rr: The cam will bolt right in to 3rd gens. You would have the extra lift and duration if you needed it. Did your bike pick up when you put the 04 cam in? Mike.

·
Registered
384 Posts
yeah she started to come into her own. its a stock bottom end, cleaned up the intk and exh ports a bit, bumped up the compression, kawi kit valves and kit intake cam. what are the specs on 04-07 intake cam.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cam mod.

blck10rr: The cam specs are 356 lift 300 duration. What you have now is 325 lift with 292 duration. Mike.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cam mod

blck10rr; The 08 intake cam is 382 lift with 292 duration. That would be a pretty big cam for the exhaust side, but yes it could be modified to work on the exhaust side. Mike.

·
Registered
384 Posts
let me see if i can work out some timing numbers see if i have enough ptvc to run mine or the o4. where are you guys located

·
Registered
101 Posts
Do you have to degree the timing in the cam any? Or just tdc it and bolt her down and rock an roll? More power is always the goal! What kind of riding do you do? Is it more of a street/strip mod or also a good trackday mod? Trying to tweak all I can, I've got the same mods as blck on my 07 but just not the cams, those r next to do on the list of internals. Thanx!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Do you have to degree the timing in the cam any? Or just tdc it and bolt her down and rock an roll? More power is always the goal! What kind of riding do you do? Is it more of a street/strip mod or also a good trackday mod? Trying to tweak all I can, I've got the same mods as blck on my 07 but just not the cams, those r next to do on the list of internals. Thanx!
i do mainly street horseplay, the 9/10ths is what i run

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hmmm well I guess over all power helps anywhere you run the bike. Just trying to figure out if it'll b good for trackdays and then I've got the .45mm head gasket so I'm worried about the good ol interference engine coming into play w this mod. I've seen guys adv the exh cam w the head gasket but that was stock cams... Any clue blck or turbo?

·
Registered
384 Posts
well in my 3rd gen i have kawi kit cams kawi kit valves shave the head .015 and a .045 hg with no problems at 110 102 cam degree as suggested by kawi wit the kit cams. you should be fine just make sure if you or whoever does it does it right

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
exhaust cam mod

You should be fine on piston to valve clearance. You would want to check it though as it will change with whatever cam degree numbers you use. It is very easy to check if you follow the instructions in the kawasaki race manual. Mike.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yea im a tech myself but i do cars and my bike is my toy and i do it all myself and have fellow techs wrenching with me every now and then so i just wanted to make sure everything would b good. ive checked it with my set up now and it seems itll be good but if you decked the head as well then i should be plenty fine. Give me a minute and ill friend you guys so i dont lose this or forget about it so before riding season here in MI i can get a cam from him or possibly here really soon sense my engine is out already. Thanks a lot guys im pumped!!!

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
is this mod for the 04-07 only or do 3rd gens qualify since im currently using an 04 exhaust cam in my 08 i would imagine it would. and since im using the 04 exhaust cam already would i see gains or losses with this mod
i thought i read that on the 08 the exhaust race cam actually causes you to loose power???? I also read somewhere, that you couldnt use 04-05 exhaust cam in a 3rd gen...but your using one? Just want to get as accurate info as possible from those who have done it preferably...thanks in advance.

pm sent also blck10rr

·
Registered
384 Posts
no problem guys feel free to contact me. and yes i am running a first gen exhaust cam in my 3rd gen works just fine. wish i could tell you guys what the gains were but like an ass i changed a few things at the same time. all i know is she runs great and makes great power

·
Registered
700 Posts
Not to be a mood killer here. But an intake cam on the exhaust side is way over camed for a 999cc NA motor. You will see very small gains.

Now if you talking about a 04-05 stock exhaust cam on the later bikes then yea they work great. The stock 04-05 exhaust cam is PERFECT for a stock bore and stroke motor.

I use v blocks and a degree wheel to drill the pin for the cams, sounds like that fixture is pretty slick got a pic?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts