Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RK Excel Pro-Series Sport Bike Wheel Set. I bought these because they are designed to go on many makes and models, you just buy (or make) the spacer kit that fits your bike.

I am including the kit for a Gen 2 (06-07) Kawasaki ZX10R. Saved almost 6lbs of un-sprung weight! If you have never put light weight wheels on, you have no idea how easy it is to flick. It is truely amazing and the ZX feels like a truck now back to stock! Comes with cush drive, sprocket carrier, 520 Vortex sprocket (a little worn), and all spacers. $1,500

The color is a gun metal grey but a bit more blue. If someone is serious I will take them outside and get straight up pictures to better see color.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those are sick!!!! Wish I had a use for them....GLWS>
Of course you have a use for them :)!! Steering and wheeling with ease! They fit multiple bike bro! If my new bike didn't have a freaking single sided swing arm I would never be letting them go!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you had any issues with the carrier studs gettin loose? I understand that is why RK doesn't sell them anymore. Debating if I want the risk or hold out for another set.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't heard that one but no I haven't had any issues. Just to clarify... what do you mean by carrier "studs". All the carriers are bolted into threads built in the wheel... lock tite being standard protocol, they aren't going anywhere.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aluminum Wheels Price Reduction

Have you had any issues with the carrier studs gettin loose? I understand that is why RK doesn't sell them anymore. Debating if I want the risk or hold out for another set.
I replied to this and just wanted to make sure you saw it. Also... I forgot to mention, I lowered the price to $1,300.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Always loved these, it's a pity they stopped selling them due to catastrophic failures.
What in the world are you guys talking about? I own a research firm and just did hours of research on these wheels failing and found not a single thing. Please send me whatever is making you think the carrier lugs come loose and there are "catastrophic" failures.

·
Registered
216 Posts
What in the world are you guys talking about? I own a research firm and just did hours of research on these wheels failing and found not a single thing. Please send me whatever is making you think the carrier lugs come loose and there are "catastrophic" failures.
That's what Excel told me when I tried to buy a set. Hard racing still lists them on their site for $1500 but when you try to order they said they were unavailable due for some reason, which prompted me to contact Excel directly.
RK Excel Forged Aluminum Wheels RK Excel Forged Aluminum Rims RK Excel Wheels RK Excel Rims

·
Registered
7 Posts
I called RK to ask about a spacer kit for the 05 and they told me they don't sell the wheels anymore due to liability reasons.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay somewhere in the middle lies the truth :). I just wrote RK Excel and this is what they said.

"We have postponed the sale of the “Pro-Series” sport bike wheels.

It had been brought to our attention that one of the drive carrier bolts had backed out of the carrier.
Which in turn had cause damage to the swing arm.

Being that we are unsure as to as to the cause of this incident. Either as a result of the manufacturer or of the customer possibly removing the bolt and not reinstalling it correctly. We feel that in the interest of consumer safety that we should halt the sale of the wheels until which time we came insure that the bolts are secured properly to insure the safety of the user.

After which time we sale of the wheels will resume." Gary L. Kies, RK / Excel America

So no "catastrophic loss" unless that guys swing arm was chromed (or would that be a catastrophic win? LOL). Anyway, my wheel had two different sprockets put on and off it at 40+ ftlbs of torque and those bolts didn't go anywhere.

IMO
1. That guy over torqued and/or stripped the nut on the way off bad enough to loosen a bolt from the carrier (probably in excess of 80 ftlbs to do that). Or actually removed it for some reason (again, not easy!).
2. One or two people turned ONE bolt SCRATCHING a swing arm into CATASTROPHIC FAILURE (not saying its you guys).
3. RK Excel can't afford the bad PR right out of the gate and is either out or changing the attachment of the carrier bolts to be idiot proof.

Personally I would keep using them and maybe look now again like I do for clip ons, rear wheels, calipers, and chain guards... all of which I have had come loose or completely off while riding (the clip on was a undy stainer LOL).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A few idiots wouldn't stop me from running these.
Exactly! Black listing RK Excel Sport Bike Wheels is like black listing Dunlop Qualifier tires because ONE person had ONE rear tire that wouldn't hold air (also probably not the tires fault) LOL.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Exactly! Black listing RK Excel Sport Bike Wheels is like black listing Dunlop Qualifier tires because ONE person had ONE rear tire that wouldn't hold air (also probably not the tires fault) LOL.
The only difference is Dunlop continues to sell tires and RK pulled these wheels before the law of averages caught up to them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LMAO - Thats because people didn't start rumors about catastrophic Dunlop failures! You DO get that the whole point being made here don't you?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts