Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bike I bought at the end of 2005 from a British Superbike racer who downgraded the motor to a standard one and swapped the Brembo monoblock calipers for stock as I was going into racing as a novice.

Anyhow I don't ride anymore, I got the bike out of storage and running at the end of last year, other than bodywork damage from a minor off in 2014 it rides fine etc. When I've tried to sell the bike in the past I have been massively low balled so just kept the bike. As I am definitely not going to ride again am I better off breaking it or selling it complete?

It's got Ohlins forks from Troy Corser's 2003 Foggy Petronas which was confirmed when K-Tech serviced them for me. Lengthened swingarm, pro mach yokes, area under the tank for a bigger airbox, titanium Akropovic etc etc. I've got plenty of time on my hands to sell bit by bit what with losing my job, however I'm not desperate for cash so can take my time.
By modern standards the bike is probably too slow to be raced so not worthy of WSB spec suspension. I thought it was quick in 2006 but got smoked on the straights by richer riders with tuned bikes, and coming from a ZX12 as my road bike it seemed fairly tame on BSB slicks. The longer wheelbase gives mid corner stability similar to a ZX7 although I still highsided it fairly easily in the wet at Cadwell.

Any advice would be appreciated as I can't be bothered with the amount of time wasters this machine always seems to attract. The last one was selling the same bloke I bought it from's second bike for £15,000 grand but wanted to give me next to nothing for mine despite mine being higher spec. I know my bikes not worth a lot but it's got to be worth as much as standard track bike with no logbook or more than a ropy Ducati 748 he offered as a swap.

The engine has done about 350 miles since Ray Stringer rebuilt the top end after I cracked the barrel in said highside, runs as new and would be the first part I would want to sell.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,167 Posts
Howdy! Sounds like a nice ride. Too bad you won't ever get on it from the sounds of it.

I'll give you my opinion on it and you can take that for what it's worth. The bike isn't really competitive these days and won't command nearly the price you've paid into it. Selling it complete would be the quicker and easier option. Selling it separately will take time and you'll have to find someone who wants that specific piece with a bike it will work on. And you'll likely have to ship it. There will be pieces from it that noone wants and you'll be sitting on those for a long time if not forever. If you can figure out what other bikes those individual pieces will work on, then you can open up your market a bit. But that's more time as well. So you need to take that into consideration. Good condition with nice parts makes it sell faster, not really for more money.

The current exchange rate puts the GB Pound to USD rate at about 1.0GBP to $1.22 right now. I'm not familiar with what the market for used bikes looks like over there, but in the US that bike would sell somewhere in the $5,000 - $6,000 range with those specs. At that conversion rate, that puts you in the low £5,000 range. About 1/3rd of what you mention above, give or take some. Doesn't really matter what the last one sold for or what's on it. At this point, it's not worth much because no one will pay that price for a 15 year old bike that is competing with newer versions. There will always be lowballers out there looking for a deal. Holding out for top-dollar though may be unrealistic. There has to be a happy middle ground somewhere between those. Remember, it's only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Feel like most heavily modified bike will get more by parting them out than trying to sell them whole. Just will take time like you said to move the parts and take it apart.

I'd try and make a part out list and realistic prices you think you'd get. I usually priced stuff lower than what I thought I could get or prices that it would sell and some of the big items like skydork says could take a while to find the right buyer if you're trying to get good money for it.

After figuring out a list and what you think you could realistically get you could see if its worth it vs the offers you were getting for the bike. Factor in time for listing multiple places, responding to PM's shipping, etc and then you can figure it out if its worth it to part it out or not. Some little thing you'll probably have for ever too and have to throw them away lol.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Its brutal, but unless the particular bike has exceptional history like "WON" a BSB championship then as a item its compared to what else can be bought for the same money right now! 15k puts it up against last seasons Super Bikes! You can pick last seasons stockers for 10k. I feel you and your pain, but break the bike down or let it go flea/bay for what you can get. Ray Stringer will tell you that. Is it an ex Bournemouth ? As exemole they were try to sell James Hilliers TT lap record holding bike for a couple of years and started at 15k. I believe it went eventually for half of that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If someone would give me £5000 for it I'd rip their hand off, that's over twice what anyone has offered me for it hence why I was thinking of breaking it. I've got extras like a brand new never used tank still in the box as well as a stock brand new rear shock, fairings. If I could break it and make £3500 then throw whatever is left in the skip I'd be happy.
I had it up for sale in 2014 at £4000 which I couldn't get but numerous people were offering between £1500 & £2000 for those Ohlins superbike forks. At the time stock forks were £900 second hand from a breaker but now they are only £150 so I could let the forks go and find replacements cheap enough.
I've got all the time in the world to sell it, I just want to deal with people who know what they are looking at and what they want.
I've sold scruffy road bikes with starship mileage that were older for over 2 grand yet a race bike just seems like such a pain to shift. The cheapest ZX10 I've seen is almost 3 grand with no logbook, the main downside with mine is the 16.5 inch wheels that you can't get tyres for. Stock ZX10 wheels can be had for £250 a pair secondhand now but in 2014 they would have been nearer a £1000.
My bike has the original logbook (had to be registered for superbikes) in the name of the original sponsor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its brutal, but unless the particular bike has exceptional history like "WON" a BSB championship then as a item its compared to what else can be bought for the same money right now! 15k puts it up against last seasons Super Bikes! You can pick last seasons stockers for 10k. I feel you and your pain, but break the bike down or let it go flea/bay for what you can get. Ray Stringer will tell you that. Is it an ex Bournemouth ? As exemole they were try to sell James Hilliers TT lap record holding bike for a couple of years and started at 15k. I believe it went eventually for half of that.
The other dude with the 2nd bike wanted £15,000, he offered me exchange of a bike worth about £2000 - £2500. And lets face it a Ducati 748 would just go bang and be even harder to shift.
Just the going rate for a fairly stock decent track bike would do me. Bear in mind the fairing is damaged and there is a dent in the swingarm (it is straight). A swingarm can be had for less than £100 now if you were that bothered, it was like it when I bought the bike and never gave me any problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'll start by just advertising the motor with the coil packs, airbox and injection system, plus the new battery and mounting bolts / bushes.
The buyer can see it running first then help me take it out. I've taken it out before but the getting it out of the frame part when all the bolts are out is a two man job.
It is basically a new motor, it wasn't used in BSB and has probably only done around a couple of thousand miles in total.
Ebay engines go anything from £500 to £1300 with no ancillaries so if I can get a grand I'd be happy and still able to wheel the chassis around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts