Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The major shipyard that I got laid off from just announced even more layoffs.
Things are not looking good economically for this area.
They are down to 2 ships in the yard which normally has about 6 in the water
and 5 or 6 on land being assembled.
Right now there's 1 in the water close to being done and 1 on land that will be
going in the water soon.
No new hulls being laid, no new steel hitting the yard, nothing.

They are down to probably 4 or 5 thousand employees when they normally
have 9 to 12 thousand.
And now their cutting even more.

75% of the 18,000 people that live here, work there. For now that is.
This town is on its way to withering and dying.

Property value is going to bottom out and your not going to the able to sell houses.

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bummer!!
Is there any hope for callbacks if things pick back up,,or are the jobs gone for good?
Oh yeah, this is a Union job.
And they will have to recall laid off employees first before hiring outsiders.
But, that's if they get more work.
With the gub ment :mrgreen:cutting military spending,
They aren't ordering many ships for the Navy and Coast Guard.

·
Registered
314 Posts
but the corps and 1% are making record profits, the trickle down effect will kick in just you wait.

On a serious note that really does suck. When the whole melt down started I was working in banking. In a 5 year time frame I went through 6 jobs. I was laid off from each one due to down sizing or the bank being taken over by another bank. I had to get out and luckily enough was able to get into a different market. I don't make half as much as I did before but I've been at the same job just over a year now so at least that is something. I know a good amount of people that left CA to try and find greener pastures. I hope things work out where you at.

·
Registered
667 Posts
its bad all over.

going to get worse.

hellsrazor: do you know anything about the laws affecting the transport of domestic oil from US port to US port ?

I read that there was a law enacted that a special type of ship is now required to do that and the US has very few of them. So we , US, need to rely on foreign ships to do the transfer ( it would be to move crude from one area of the country to another where there are refineries) and that there are so few available that the most cost-effective thing to do is just export/sell the crude to another country.

I dont understand why we (US) cant just build the ships necessary to do this? maybe with the anti-oil administration the ship building companies dont think sinking the money into shipbuilding-speculation worth taking?

any thoughts?

·
Does not drive into smoke
2,156 Posts
I read that there was a law enacted that a special type of ship is now required to do that and the US has very few of them.
There is a law that only allows US-based ships to transport oil between US ports. There have been waivers granted in the past to allow foreign tankers to do that, and if I understand this correctly, Obama has also issued such a waiver.
I believe they are temporary and are issued to meet the current demand (i.e. short term, with no time to wait for more ships being built), but I don't know any details.

·
Registered
372 Posts
its bad all over.

I dont understand why we (US) cant just build the ships necessary to do this? maybe with the anti-oil administration the ship building companies dont think sinking the money into shipbuilding-speculation worth taking?

any thoughts?
Maybe this does, maybe this doesn't have to do with answering your question. I was flipping through the stations and there was this show called shark tank. People come in with their ideas and these rich guys either invest or not.

There was a guy that manufactured a portable work rack for pickups. He wanted to manufacture it in his town so the neighbors that lost their jobs can have a job in this new idea. One of the rich guys insisted to outsource the manufacturing off shore so there can be a higher profit margin. The small town guy refused, he'd rather have the jobs for his town.

He left with no one investing in his idea.

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its bad all over.

going to get worse.

hellsrazor: do you know anything about the laws affecting the transport of domestic oil from US port to US port ?

I read that there was a law enacted that a special type of ship is now required to do that and the US has very few of them. So we , US, need to rely on foreign ships to do the transfer ( it would be to move crude from one area of the country to another where there are refineries) and that there are so few available that the most cost-effective thing to do is just export/sell the crude to another country.

any thoughts?
Not gonna perpetrate bro, I don't know squat about that. :headshake:
I've been working on Destroyers (DDG's), Cruisers (CG's), LHD's,
LHA's & LPD's and Coast Guard's Deep water Program,
Pretty much since 1990 till my layoff.

I also have worked on the Navy's Experimental Catamaran and DDX.
Worked mainly (CIC) Combat Information Center, and Sonar.

So in hind sight, I've kinda screwed myself by specializing in Navy ships
and not the oil industry's and Maritime ships.
Because Navy ships electronics and electrical are completely different than Maritime ships.

Now I'm an older fuggar and people don't want to give me the chance to
work and learn the Maritime side of it.

I'm trying to find a way to get into Flux Core training,
Because the Department of Labor and Workers Compensation is willing to pay for my schooling from being a Veteran and being hurt on the job requiring surgery on both knee's that now sport a 10 percent (PPD)
Permanent Partial Disability.

·
Registered
654 Posts

·
Boomer Sooner!
2,337 Posts
Sorry to hear that man. Hope things turn around. Im sure the housing market is already to low to get out now, so you will probably have to just ride it out. Hope something turns around and you can get a better job. Who knows this could be a good thing for you in the long run.

·
Servo's Eliminatus ;)
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hell, any freakin job would be nice right now.
This Unemployment government tit is tasting pretty fucking sour LOL.
I don't like it.
The housing market is for shit here now too.
You should see all the for sale signs around here.
I wouldn't get enough out of my house now to move and buy another house.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts