Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the esd light come on I have a GUHL flash and PCV for electronics happened at the same time the bike dropped what felt and sounded like cylinders I've updated the firmware on the PCV a couple weeks ago any help is appreciated

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
926 Posts
check what version firmware you have. Frome what I've read people running a PCV have have specifically have v1.9 or something. They get it sent from dynojet and get walked through over the phone. If you just downloaded via the website, any other version will still end up with dropped cylinders.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
esd is for the electric steering damper

I notice if you allow the engine to stall while moving and then re-crank the engine while in motion the esd will come on

If you turn the bike off and back on it will turn the esd/light off

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Also if you have a secondary fuel module that needs to be updated to the latest firmware. If I am not mistaken people were still getting the issue randomly on 1.9.0. I have finally updated from 1.60.1 to 1.9.2 and haven't had an issue. May want to give 1.9.2 a try from the Dynojet website.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
939 Posts
just to update this post, my esd has come on twice now this week. completely stock 13/abs bike. it goes away after restart so who knows.

owners manual says something about the battery condition so maybe its time for a shorai :cool:

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
just to update this post, my esd has come on twice now this week. completely stock 13/abs bike. it goes away after restart so who knows.

owners manual says something about the battery condition so maybe its time for a shorai :cool:
Wonder if what you're experiencing isn't similar to what us with the 11 and 12 getting a red FI light occasionally when our bikes have sat for a while. My guess is if you upgrade you'll get it figured out. Also be aware ABS and non-ABS bikes have different batteries and requirements.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
939 Posts
figured it out, when you start the bike to quickly after you key it on the light triggers, :redface:. gotta let it cycle through its start-up first

·
Registered
31 Posts
What is the normal function of the ESD light? Should it just flash on when the dampener is active, or should the light remain on for the duration of the ride until powered down (when it resets)?

I've had mine come on twice while riding to work lately, nothing too spirited, but it does seem to come on after I accelerate with a bit of pace from lights (but not enough to trigger a damping action I would have thought!).

Will ask about it at the first service.

·
Banned
43 Posts
I just got mine out of the dealership for the esd light and the orange light. Apparently all it was, was loose battery cables.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just got mine out of the dealership for the esd light and the orange light. Apparently all it was, was loose battery cables.
I just tightened everything up on the terminal, one was ever so slightly loose, wouldn't think it was losing contact though. Will see if the light comes back on during the ride home tonight.

Did the mechanic say if it was the cables connection to the battery terminal that was loose or was it at the dampener end?

·
Banned
43 Posts
I just tightened everything up on the terminal, one was ever so slightly loose, wouldn't think it was losing contact though. Will see if the light comes back on during the ride home tonight.

Did the mechanic say if it was the cables connection to the battery terminal that was loose or was it at the dampener end?
Battery terminal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My gen 4 did that a week after I got it from dealership after talking with tech and Rep the tech told him the error code and the rep was all electronic steering damper huh..... with out even blinking I thought that fast a answer this must be very common

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
if it still keeps doing it check your battery cables. might sound stupid but i had my esd light go on and off like that and the dash would cut out randomly. found out the positive cable was loose, theyre pretty picky about the battery connection

·
Registered
789 Posts
Mine came on again and i noticed that it was on from start up.
I think that i started the bike before the dash had finished switching on and doing all its checks. This could be the problem.
The dash isnt starting correctly. I now wait until its fully loaded and lights off before i start it up. Maybe that will help

·
Registered
46 Posts
Anyone have the esd light come on I have a GUHL flash and PCV for electronics happened at the same time the bike dropped what felt and sounded like cylinders I've updated the firmware on the PCV a couple weeks ago any help is appreciated

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Okay this has happened to me and it took so long to figure out what it was and fix it.
I looked in the forum for answers and the firmware issue came up and I got ahold of the PCV support and they gave me a firmware version that wasnt released yet to use but it didnt fix it. So I came to the conclusion it is probably the throttle position sensor. So I ordered a set of throttle bodies that had a new TPS on it and hooked everything back up with my PCV....it was fixed till I popped it down to first at 60 and hit it. Started to feel like it was dropping a cylinder or two/losing power.

So I was liek "WTF"....I ordered ANOTHER set of throttle bodies and left the PCV off just incase that was the issue. So I hooked up the new throttle bodies with a new sensor without the PCV. And I have not had the problem occur ever since. I have no idea what it was but it seemed like my PCV was causing my sensor to fuck up. But I did conclude it was my throttle position sensor.

So I do have an extra set of throttle bodies with a brand new TPS that I will be willing to mail to you if you want to try it without the PCV and if it fixes it keep it an dif not you can send it back haha.

Honestly you dont even need a PCV, my tuner tunes it through the ECU...all it does is smoothen it out a little.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts