Newfie Bullet
2,342 Posts
I know how they fix it..keep given you new bikes till they fix the issue..lol

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Update 02/28/12:

Dealer ended up not installing wiring harness. A new Tech worked on bike over the weekend and called Kawi and they think the problem is the battery. All the tests on the battery show it's in spec but at the low end of the spec scale. The Tech who usually works on Suzuki's said he's seen this prob on some Suzuki's - even though the battery is new and in spec it trips a code because it isn't quite high enough up the spec range.

Anyway I'll find out tomorrow if this is the problem..

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hope that solves your problem!!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
YES IT"S FIXED-

So it turns out our Gen 4's are very very finicky when it comes to their batteries. The tech tested my original battery over and over and it kept showing to be good BUT it was at the low end of the acceptable spec range. The tech put a new fully charged battery in and that fixed the problem and no more error code. So the tech and Kawi Tech Center in So Cal figured out that our Gen 4's need our batteries to be putting out higher then they originally specified. The tech thinks Kawi will be making some changes in the future..

·
Registered
526 Posts
YES IT"S FIXED-

So it turns out our Gen 4's are very very finicky when it comes to their batteries. The tech tested my original battery over and over and it kept showing to be good BUT it was at the low end of the acceptable spec range. The tech put a new fully charged battery in and that fixed the problem and no more error code. So the tech and Kawi Tech Center in So Cal figured out that our Gen 4's need our batteries to be putting out higher then they originally specified. The tech thinks Kawi will be making some changes in the future..
I guess this is what the dealer was trying to explain to me when I was trying to pick up my bike two weeks ago. Said the bike is not fully prepped and needed the battery to be specifically fully charged because these bikes are very sensitive when it comes to power.

Guess he was right....

·
Registered
6 Posts
YES IT"S FIXED-

Just found this thread and was about to write to you to ask if your battery was good. I have the exact same issue with my Gen 4. I rode it to work all winter and it was really cold, like -1 some days, so i think i may have done some dmagae to the battery. Anyway I get the same FI code and when starting the bike I noticed it was really sluggish to turn over. I had done the Ivan wire mod over the winter so I was worried that might be it, but I'm glad to hear you have confirmed that it is the Battery.

Question: Did Kawi pay for a new battery for you under the warrranty or was that out of pocket?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yes Kawi paid for the new battery. Since the new battery was installed the problem never happened again. It's a weird issue because my old battery worked fine and even tested out within normal spec's but because it was at the low end of those specs it caused the problem...

·
Registered
258 Posts
My bike is doing the same thing at the moment.

It is a race only bike - and every first session of the day it starts with this same problem - after letting the bike idle until warm and then restarting the error goes away.

Thanks for the update - will be looking at a new battery asap!

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
Good info, same happening to me after 23k miles on my 2011 ABS. No warranty here so I'm looking into the lightweight Li-ion batteries

My other problem is that my ABS light is coming on and is deactivating ABS. Code b19. Not sure if the two are related? :dontknow:

·
Registered
516 Posts
YES IT"S FIXED-

Wow good to know, Shoria is now on order. It's shit like this that make me appreciate the forum :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
278 Posts
Kawi put a bigger battery in the abs bike for a reason. I just installed a nice digital float charger last weekend to hopefully avoid issues this spring. It's 11 degrees in Nashville today,come on spring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also had a FI code 39

For me it was a simple plug into the battery charger for an hour and the problem was gone..... Another battery gone bad! Just not the strongest batteries that Kawi put into the Gen 4....

·
Registered
111 Posts
I see that the SC 39 issue happened back in 2012, so I don't like digging up dead threads, but I went for a ride today and the FI light came on. Pulled the code...39. So I ended up here.

Coming from a GSXR I know all about charging/battery dying issues, can I continue to ride the 10R with the code 39 until I can replace the battery, or is it something that is going to leave me stranded on the side of the road? Would hooking the battery up to a trickle charger help? Or does the bike just need a better battery? I do have a brand new battery in my GSXR which I may try also.

T.I.A

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
When it happened to me, I rode it for a while but there were a few times I thought I would be stranded. The bike cut off on me rolling 30 mph through city, not safe.

Honestly, I would replace the battery as soon as you can and be done with it. I bought a Shorai and haven't had any issues since.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
111 Posts
When it happened to me, I rode it for a while but there were a few times I thought I would be stranded. The bike cut off on me rolling 30 mph through city, not safe.

Honestly, I would replace the battery as soon as you can and be done with it. I bought a Shorai and haven't had any issues since.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Yeah...I'll swap the new battery from the GSXR in and see if the FI goes away. If not, I'll pick up another battery.

Thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just wanted to give a quick update to my SC 39 issue. I did end up replacing the OEM 10R battery with a Shorai battery, and I haven't seen the code pop up since.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Recently ran into the same issue on my Gen 4. Going to look at replacing the battery as soon as I can so I don't get stranded. So glad these forums exist!

21 - 40 of 55 Posts