Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 zx-10 that the speedo is reading very erratic on. I Have watched it go from 35-75-87-110MPH and back down while still running about 35MPH, I have also seen it go from 65-87-110mPH or so while doing about 65 on the highway. It has not been doing it long enough for me to figure out any specific scenarios where it does it, I am thinking that maybe the speed sensor in the front sprocket cover is dying. Has anyone else experienced this problem, if so what resolved it? It usually reads faster than I am going, but I saw it go to 0mPH the other day while I was doing about 25MPH. I put new sprockets and a chain on it about 800 miles ago, and the speedo has been fine up until about the last 100miles or so. TIA

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sounds like the speed sensor is making a good connection. It might have got wet or it is just going out all together. Sorry man, never heard of that before. Do you have a speedo healer on it at all

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
A speedo healer isn't going to fix that. Its just the sensor is going bad or has a bad connection or mounting.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
A speedo healer isn't going to fix that. Its just the sensor is going bad or has a bad connection or mounting.
I think Kawi10rider meant does it have a Speedohealer because that is another connection point that can cause problems if so, just like you said bad connection so recommend checking those out first(First connector after the sensor/next speedohealer/then Instrument connector) the sensor should be checked out or is suspect after that.

bloo

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think Kawi10rider meant does it have a Speedohealer because that is another connection point that can cause problems if so, just like you said bad connection so recommend checking those out first(First connector after the sensor/next speedohealer/then Instrument connector) the sensor should be checked out or is suspect after that.

bloo
thanks bluedevil, thats exactly what i meant, i meant to say its making a bad connection. thats why its jumping around like that.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
thanks bluedevil, thats exactly what i meant, i meant to say its making a bad connection. thats why its jumping around like that.
No problem :eek:ccasion1

In fact besides ALL Instrument Clusters are way out of wack and you need a speedohealer to make them right, the Speedohealers also have a TEST Function which helps to troubleshoot problems such as this to see if it's the Instrument Cluster(could be the healer itself but doubt it so remove if you suspect) or problems in connections down low to the Sensor it's self. :cool:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
:eek:ccasion1 Good luck figuring it out. Sounds like a bad sensor to me though. The shop manual will have the electrical measurements you should be getting out of it so just check in there.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Larry,

Check the sprocket nut and make sure a big dollop of chain lube hasnt accumulated on it , sometimes all that goop can pick up small particles , enough to send extra signals to the sensor and give you false readings, also a loose sprocket nut will give you erratic results.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Larry,

Check the sprocket nut and make sure a big dollop of chain lube hasnt accumulated on it , sometimes all that goop can pick up small particles , enough to send extra signals to the sensor and give you false readings, also a loose sprocket nut will give you erratic results.

only after connectors are checked but FAF is right...the area in the front sprocket can collect so much lube as it's a small area with almost no OUt for debris and hardly anywhere to go when thick :badteeth:.....good post FAF :thumbsup:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you for all the suggestions.

I do not have a speedo healer.

I will try and clean everything up in there and see if the problem goes away.

I did not even think to check the resistance/voltage, great suggestion.

My boss said that maybe there is a bunch of dirt stuck to the sensor, and that there may be ferric material stuck to the sensor and that it could cause erratic readings, makes sense.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
thank you for all the suggestions.

I do not have a speedo healer.

I will try and clean everything up in there and see if the problem goes away.

I did not even think to check the resistance/voltage, great suggestion.

My boss said that maybe there is a bunch of dirt stuck to the sensor, and that there may be ferric material stuck to the sensor and that it could cause erratic readings, makes sense.
Yeah start with the easiest possible fixes and work your way to the harder troubleshooting. Often times its the no brainer things that are the problem. I have found that out many a times. Let us know what you find though.

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Did anybody ever figure this out? I'm having the same issues, i watched my speedo jump from 65 to 189 and everywhere in between while just cruzing down the freeway at a steady speed today. It happened one other time a few weeks ago too...

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Did anybody ever figure this out? I'm having the same issues, i watched my speedo jump from 65 to 189 and everywhere in between while just cruzing down the freeway at a steady speed today. It happened one other time a few weeks ago too...
Mine did it in the past and it was the connectors related to the speedo under the seat. One of the pins started to push out of the clips. I just reached up under the left side of the tank and started to push at the back side of the very large gray connector and the large black connectors. 5 pin I believe, shaped almost round. My problem was related to my speedo healer and was entirely my fault. But, it caused the same crazy speed readings described so give pushing on the wires making sure they are fully seated into the connectors on both sides of those funky large roundish plugs/connectors a shot. Worked for me and it's the speedo harness wire inside them each. One connector has the speed to ECU feed wire, the other connector has the speed to instrument display wire. If either is loose, it will cause the erratic, crazy readouts. Otherwise, the speed sensor is faulty or loose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts