Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys so I have been posting up here lately about blowing my clutch basket and having a messed up crank but I finally got a new engine for my zx10! I got the engine for $400 from a friend who had a bad accident that cracked his frame.(he walked away from the wreck) I plan on swapping the two engines with a buddy this weekend but are there any special tools that I'm going to need? Any tips on shaping the engines? Also should everything just be plug in and play or am I going to have to rewire some connections? Will my PCV plug straight in and place my map on this engine or will I have to make some modifications? Thanks in advance and sorry for the long winded post!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,042 Posts
Okay guys so I have been posting up here lately about blowing my clutch basket and having a messed up crank but I finally got a new engine for my zx10! I got the engine for $400 from a friend who had a bad accident that cracked his frame.(he walked away from the wreck) I plan on swapping the two engines with a buddy this weekend but are there any special tools that I'm going to need? Any tips on shaping the engines? Also should everything just be plug in and play or am I going to have to rewire some connections? Will my PCV plug straight in and place my map on this engine or will I have to make some modifications? Thanks in advance and sorry for the long winded post!
Well, assuming that you're swapping engines from the same Make/Model, then everything should plug in directly. And the only special tool you'll need is the special socket wrench needed to release the motor mount bolt lock nuts. You can get that directly from Kawasaki or buy the Motion Pro aftermarket tool.

Shouldn't take more than a day to fully swap it out. Just work slow, take your time, and stay organized. Nothing will be worse than posting back here with a thread "Where does this go?" because you just started tearing it apart and didn't label parts/connectors as you went.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, assuming that you're swapping engines from the same Make/Model, then everything should plug in directly. And the only special tool you'll need is the special socket wrench needed to release the motor mount bolt lock nuts. You can get that directly from Kawasaki or buy the Motion Pro aftermarket tool.

Shouldn't take more than a day to fully swap it out. Just work slow, take your time, and stay organized. Nothing will be worse than posting back here with a thread "Where does this go?" because you just started tearing it apart and didn't label parts/connectors as you went.
Got it! I'm going to order the socket today so I have it in time for the weekend. Motors are exactly the same btw both from an 09 and the new one only has 2k more miles than mine did! I won't have to swap the tach gauge if I don't want to right? I'll be keeping this bike for a long time because of all the time I have into it so I don't mind the miss matched miles.

PS this is the right socket right?
https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-S...e=UTF8&qid=1476794784&sr=8-1&keywords=08-0571

Thanks for all of your help on here btw I really appreciate it!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,042 Posts
Got it! I'm going to order the socket today so I have it in time for the weekend. Motors are exactly the same btw both from an 09 and the new one only has 2k more miles than mine did! I won't have to swap the tach gauge if I don't want to right? I'll be keeping this bike for a long time because of all the time I have into it so I don't mind the miss matched miles.

PS this is the right socket right?
https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-S...e=UTF8&qid=1476794784&sr=8-1&keywords=08-0571

Thanks for all of your help on here btw I really appreciate it!
Yup, that's the tool.

No, there's no reason to change out the tach. You don't even have to remove that from the bike at all.

:eek:ccasion1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts