Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the 06-07 10R's what causes the engine restriction? Is it calculated from the speedometer, or the tach or some combination or something else. I know the rpm redline is one restriction but I am talking about the built in restriction to keep the bike from going over 184mph. I am wondering about this because I am going to be changing my sprockets. Should I get a speedo healer as well to counteract any problems from the change in sprockets? I really don't care about accurate speed readings.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
There is no explicit "governor". The engine is mapped in a way that limits power to be less than what it takes to go that speed. Monkeying with final drive ratio doesn't change that. Speedohealer is up to you whether you want an accurate speedometer.

·
Registered
742 Posts
ZX14s speed limiter is based on speedo information.
The Speedo Healer solves the problem, since you can make the speedo read less than the real value.
The 2nd gen. 10R may have the same sort of limiter.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
ZX14s speed limiter is based on speedo information.
The Speedo Healer solves the problem, since you can make the speedo read less than the real value.
The 2nd gen. 10R may have the same sort of limiter.
I don't know if that's the case on the 04. I added two teeth to the rear and pegged out 189 one day on the speedo. It kept gaining rpm which I would equate to gaining speed. Can't tell ya for sure cause stuff is moving so quick by then. But I'd say I was. Obviously I still hadn't hit the 184 or 186 (whatever it is) in actual speed although the speedo had long since read that number off.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I don't know if that's the case on the 04. I added two teeth to the rear and pegged out 189 one day on the speedo. It kept gaining rpm which I would equate to gaining speed. Can't tell ya for sure cause stuff is moving so quick by then. But I'd say I was. Obviously I still hadn't hit the 184 or 186 (whatever it is) in actual speed although the speedo had long since read that number off.
You mean you subtracted two teeth to the rear? Stock is geared aprox to real 296-298 km/h (184-186 mph real speed)
Mine has stock gearing and reaches 299km/h (speedo reading) on 5th just before the rev lim. kicks in.
The 04 does not seem to have a speed limiter so far. With enough power and longer gearing the bike goes through the 300km/h barrier easily (312 on GPS best I´ve seen, no internal engine mods.
That is not the case of the ZX14. No matter the power, if you don´t trick the speedo reading the bike won´t cross 300km/h

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,368 Posts
Just out of curiosity, a stock bike would hit 186, you got down 1 tooth on the front and up 2 on the rear and you loose some top end. Now what if you went up one tooth on the front and down 2 on the rear, put a full exhaust with BMC filter, mapped/dynod with PCIII, can you then go WAy past 186?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Just out of curiosity, a stock bike would hit 186, you got down 1 tooth on the front and up 2 on the rear and you loose some top end. Now what if you went up one tooth on the front and down 2 on the rear, put a full exhaust with BMC filter, mapped/dynod with PCIII, can you then go WAy past 186?

Thats excesive. One of both will be enough: one up front or two down rear. If you have enough power and space and skills you´ll be heading to 195 mph

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, back to the original question. I got one response that says a speedo healer isn't necessary since the restriction isn't based on the speedometer value. Then another that says since he went up +2 in the rear and the bike limited but felt like it still had more in it and his speedo said 189. So which is it. I am thinking that the speedo healer is the way to go. But I have to first see how fast the speedometer says when I am at top speed at the race track. Currently with -1 on the front sprocket I see 175 +-2mph.

·
Registered
798 Posts
lets not forget these speedos are far from being accurate

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
lets not forget these speedos are far from being accurate
That's my point. I think I confused some of you earlier. I ADDED 2 teeth to the rear sprocket (its about like taking one away from the front). I did this to gear the bike down for the mtns a little better. I built my motor and went for a test run one night and the speedo read 189 which is as far as the speedo will read in mph. However after hitting that on the speedometer, the bike kept gaining rpm which would mean I was still gaining speed. I never did hit the rev limiter in 6th gear nor did the bike sputter a single bit before I finally had to let off.

All I'm saying is the speedo cannot be the "speed limiter" on the bike. It has to be something else. If not you could theoretically have no top speed simply by changing sprockets as asked just a few posts before. You could change them as much as you want as long as you had the power to pull that kinda speed.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's my point. I think I confused some of you earlier. I ADDED 2 teeth to the rear sprocket (its about like taking one away from the front). I did this to gear the bike down for the mtns a little better. I built my motor and went for a test run one night and the speedo read 189 which is as far as the speedo will read in mph. However after hitting that on the speedometer, the bike kept gaining rpm which would mean I was still gaining speed. I never did hit the rev limiter in 6th gear nor did the bike sputter a single bit before I finally had to let off.

All I'm saying is the speedo cannot be the "speed limiter" on the bike. It has to be something else. If not you could theoretically have no top speed simply by changing sprockets as asked just a few posts before. You could change them as much as you want as long as you had the power to pull that kinda speed.
Okay, that is good to know. So even though the speedometer stopped the bike didn't.

·
Registered
742 Posts

So, instead of fitting a speedohealer, 1-2 teeth up in the rear will make the reading more accurate ?
Well, in fact you´ll make your reading more inaccurate.
Since the speedo reading is always higher than the real actual value, shortening the final gearing will make it read even higher.

The bike, with stock gearing (17/39) will hit rev. limiter in 6th at aprox. GPS 186 mph.
With 2 teeth up in the rear (17/41) the bike is 5.13% shorter than stock, so it will hit the rev.limiter in 6th at aprox. GPS 176.5 mph.

As far as I read, Axo´s bike has kinda a monster motor, overbored, with Carpenter head work, race cam, etc.. so he has plenty of power to hit the rev. limiter in 6th with +2 rear. The fact that he did not hit it is because he let off. You can do this even with a bone stock engine.

If you really want your speedo reading to be more accurate, then you have to go 1-2 teeth DOWN in the rear. You have to change the sprocket and compare the reading of the speedo with a GPS.
If you don´t want to ride that long gearing then the Speedo Healer is the way to go.

The 10R does not seem to have an speed limiter in the ECU.

·
Registered
551 Posts
:redface: My bad.. I meant 1-2 teeth down at the rear.

I've got the '08 ZX-10R on order, and am thinking og trying to get the spedo as acurate as possible.

The recording top speed on the speedohealer is a nice feature though. I guess that's not a function on the OEM display.

·
Registered
742 Posts
:redface: My bad.. I meant 1-2 teeth down at the rear.

I've got the '08 ZX-10R on order, and am thinking og trying to get the spedo as acurate as possible.

The recording top speed on the speedohealer is a nice feature though. I guess that's not a function on the OEM display.
Get the Speedo Healer. Is great. It allows fine tunning up to .1%
I´ve installed two of them on ZX14s
As you say, the top speed rec. is fantastic.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
As far as getting an accurate reading.... forget about adding teeth to the rear sprocket. You should gear the bike based on your riding. Just get a speedo healer or a gps.

Sexta, I actually think the ecu may hold the speed limiter. It may be getting a combination of inputs to designate that speed. You have to remember there are sensor all over that bike that are sending signals back to that ecu. But obviously its not solely dependent on the speedo reading. I honestly wish I knew how it worked but I will try to talk to some knowledgable people that I know to find an answer for you all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts