Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... New member, 93 ZX-11D, hear of problems with number 3 connecting rod ? or something to do with #3 cylinder. Can anyone fill me in?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
dork-o said:
Hi... New member, 93 ZX-11D, hear of problems with number 3 connecting rod ? or something to do with #3 cylinder. Can anyone fill me in?

Thanks
the ZX11 engines had a potential for big end rod bearing failure (#3 cyl) due to an oiling problem. If I remember correctly, the clutch baskets gear meshes with the crankshaft drive gear, which is right next to the #3 rod journal, creating a bit of confusion for the oiling syst. Usually the problem does not surface on a stocker, unless it is neglected and abused. A modified (increased horsepower-over 140 rear wheel horsepower) bike will probably need the oil pan mod which will fix the problem. Mr. Turbo has done thousands of these pans, and they are quite good at it. If you decide you actually need the mod and are willing to pull the pan yourself to send it off, be carefull about the "O" rings and gaskets that are sandwiched between the pan and crankcase mating surfaces. If you leave any of these rubbers or gaskets out, you will have much decreased oil pressure, ensuring that the problem you are trying to prevent will surely occur. If your bike has had its oil changed regularly, and has not been fragged to within an inch of its life, you probably don't have to worry about it. Power enhancers such as nitrous, turbos, and piston/cam kits that boost compression past the limits of pump gas, will require the oil system modification. I hope this helps to answer your questions. :eek:ccasion1 :eyecrazy: :zx_blk: :bump:

·
Registered
363 Posts
beenthere said:
...the clutch baskets gear meshes with the crankshaft drive gear, which is right next to the #3 rod journal, creating a bit of confusion for the oiling syst. :eek:ccasion1 :eyecrazy: :zx_blk: :bump:
First time I've heard that explanation, and I've been running the zx10, which is almost the same as the 11, for over 10 years. There are a combination of factors which "might" cause the #3 failure, and the muzzy pan is no guarantee, even if installed correctly, that #3 won't fail. There are other forums dedicated to this motor that have tons of info that would take you days to review.

My experience in running the zx10 in a race car is to open up the side clearances of all the rods to way beyond what kawi specifies and you should be good. If you want to email me for more mods, send me a mail at: [email protected] dot net

1 - 5 of 5 Posts