Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10W-40 is the recommended oil viscosity. I have a gallon of 5W-40 and another gallon of 10W-30 (left over from previous bikes). OK to use either, or will the engine blow up and launch me into space?

·
The Pace
6,951 Posts
too funny! Yeah, my first thought was whatever you use, just don't change it. But that could be wrong because possible the bike only REALLY likes amsoil syn. I added a couple tablespoons of amsoil couple days ago, and checked the odometer today after the loop, and it just turned over 35,000 miles. Running smooth as butter. I changed the oil ONCE at 18,000 miles, only because I had to change out a light bulb and so, somehow, got the odd urge to also change the oil Guess because nothing else to do.

edit: I better add that no dusty or dirty conditions and no smog here, although oil people think we do have smog, but I was raised in LA, and I truly know what real smog is like!

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
^I still don't get why you go so long! Especially since doing an oil change on a Gen 4 takes 10 min.

·
Registered
108 Posts
^I still don't get why you go so long! Especially since doing an oil change on a Gen 4 takes 10 min.
:+1: This bike is hands down the easiest oil change I've ever performed. I love the fact that nothing has to be removed to access the filter and drain plug.

·
The Pace
6,951 Posts
True, oil change is easy on g4, except maybe getting the exact right amount loaded, but I swear this bike loves old and crappy amsoil syn. And not full, either. Gotta be down half way on the window. I better add that I use the amsoil filter, too, and it's rated at 25k, if I recall. Might have something to do with it, but idk. Anyway, sure is cheaper than always foolin with the oil. Stuff is like 10 bucks a qt. or so.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm! My old oil filter wrench doesn't work on this OEM oil filter. Can someone tell me the Kawasaki Oil Filter Wrench part #? I like to be able to torque to exact spec hence like the ones with a 3/8" socket mount.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
^Ya I hate how its a special tool lol.

·
Registered
356 Posts
too funny! Yeah, my first thought was whatever you use, just don't change it. But that could be wrong because possible the bike only REALLY likes amsoil syn. I added a couple tablespoons of amsoil couple days ago, and checked the odometer today after the loop, and it just turned over 35,000 miles. Running smooth as butter. I changed the oil ONCE at 18,000 miles, only because I had to change out a light bulb and so, somehow, got the odd urge to also change the oil Guess because nothing else to do.

edit: I better add that no dusty or dirty conditions and no smog here, although oil people think we do have smog, but I was raised in LA, and I truly know what real smog is like!
This sounds suspiciously like an Amsoil dealer pitch.. :crackup: So you really go 18k miles on one oil change ? Oil is cheap compared to engines. While I think the Amsoil is a fine product, I don't think ANY sport bike that hits 14k+ rpm should go that long between oil changes. You might be able to get away with it if you ride like an old lady but I would not chance it. Since the clutch and transmission also use the same oil you will have pieces of clutch and fine metal from normal wear mixed in the oil. Why go that long? Why take the chance? Don't forget the shearing forces on the oil from the gears in the tranny that is capable of doing 14k rpm +. That will break down any oil eventually no matter how good it is......... I change my oil after every two track days and no matter what oil I use it has stuff in it after being constantly in the redline. You might be able to get away with it in a car or truck but they don't have their oil circulating through their clutch and transmission etc.

To each his own. Amsoil is a very good product but stating that you can go 18k miles without changing the oil sounds a little like you are selling Snake Oil. :bs:

Just an opinion. To each his own

Speedy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts