Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode ALL day today, and while in stop and go traffic today, when I started off and gave it some juice, I heard some engine knock when I first twisted the throttle, until the engine started to rev. Bike only has 5000kms on it. I use premium pump fuel. Any idea's? is it normal? havent changed to the 16 tooth front yet.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Bad gas is a likely candidate. If you have a timing advance module on you may have it advanced too far. But it sounds like preignition is the problem cause it usually happens at a low rpm under load. Kinda reminds you of what a chain might sound like slapping your swingarm.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea, it was only when I really gave it some juice to try and get a nice jump. (pulling the hole shot in between traffic stops:lol: )

But thats the only time it knocked.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Just finish running that tank and then buy gas elsewhere. Always run the high octane stuff (93 around my parts). For the time being, don't be gunning it from a low rpm and you won't have any problems. If it starts to do it, just back off of the acceleration for the time being.

·
Administrator
6,691 Posts
yea, it was only when I really gave it some juice to try and get a nice jump. (pulling the hole shot in between traffic stops:lol: )

But thats the only time it knocked.
Kinda reminds you of what a chain might sound like slapping your swingarm.
If it's only when you jump on it this might be the case.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no its not chain slap, I know the difference..its engine knock for sure. and It would continue for a while unless I eased up off the gas.
It might very well be bad gas since I never heard this before on this bike.

I do have a bottle of octane boost in my garage...think I should throw it in? or just wait till the gas is done and put fresh gas in?

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
Thats what i was thinkin!!......fill her up with 93 and throw some octane boost in it and see if that helps.........:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
no its not chain slap, I know the difference..its engine knock for sure. and It would continue for a while unless I eased up off the gas.
It might very well be bad gas since I never heard this before on this bike.

I do have a bottle of octane boost in my garage...think I should throw it in? or just wait till the gas is done and put fresh gas in?
Nah I wasn't saying it was chain slap. The noise kinda reminds you of it. I've never put octane booster in but I've heard of people doing it without any bad side effects.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts