Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up some Water Wetter from CG and a buddy came over and saw it on my work bench and warned that I should go with engine ice because Water Wetter would "foam up". Anyone heard of this?

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I just picked up some Water Wetter from CG and a buddy came over and saw it on my work bench and warned that I should go with engine ice because Water Wetter would "foam up". Anyone heard of this?
What are you using it for? Are you going to a trackday or street riding? Track day I say water wetter because I dont think you can use anything besides pure water or water/water wetter mix or pure water wetter. If your just doing street riding I'd use engine ice. Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mostly street but I intend on hitting the track this fall.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Mostly street but I intend on hitting the track this fall.
Just depends on I dont think you can run engine ice at a track day? Im not positive as i've never done one. I run engine ice in my other bike and it makes a lil difference. it just depends on you and if you would want to change it before the track day again. The thing with water as a coolant usually creates more heat and the water wetter brings the temperature back down where normal coolant would, where as engine ice actually does decrease engine temperature. Dont quote me on that but thats what I have heard from many places. Its just a matter of opinion I guess. I know a lot of people that run one and hate the other and vice versa and some peeople love both, just a matter or opinion i guess :dontknow:

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Go with water wetter. Used it for 3 years without a problem. Many tracks will not allow Engine Ice as it can be slick if spilled on the track. I flushed my coolant about 3 times a year though as I was on the track a ton.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Engine Ice!
On track days it likely won't matter what you use. If you are going to race you prolly can't use it.

I use it and do track days. Runs great. Spendy shit though.
I've used every thing over the years. Sticking with this stuff.
No scaling. Consistant temps. Biodegradable.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Well I hate to throw a wrench in things here but I run a lot of trackdays and use water/wetter water mix and 3 months into changing over from the regular shat my water pump went out. :headshake The mechanic said it happened because of the water wetter mix. However like mentioned above looks like if you change it every couple of months you won't have this problem :dontknow: So yes all the stories of water wetter are true the bike runs cooler and temps stay down. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Go with water wetter. Used it for 3 years without a problem. Many tracks will not allow Engine Ice as it can be slick if spilled on the track. I flushed my coolant about 3 times a year though as I was on the track a ton.
:+1:
Why pay $30 or so for something that doesn't work as good as something that costs $7 or so?

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Well I hate to throw a wrench in things here but I run a lot of trackdays and use water/wetter water mix and 3 months into changing over from the regular shat my water pump went out. :headshake The mechanic said it happened because of the water wetter mix. However like mentioned above looks like if you change it every couple of months you won't have this problem :dontknow: So yes all the stories of water wetter are true the bike runs cooler and temps stay down. :thumbsup:

Your mechanic is an idiot...sorry. The pump going out is a kawi issue and should have been a recall item. Mine went out on my bike before I even went to the track or used water wetter. Water wetter is fine. You just mix about 16 cap fulls in 1 gallon of distilled water and you are good to go.:wink:

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Engine Ice!
On track days it likely won't matter what you use. If you are going to race you prolly can't use it.

I use it and do track days. Runs great. Spendy shit though.
I've used every thing over the years. Sticking with this stuff.
No scaling. Consistant temps. Biodegradable.
True but a lot of trackday orgs dont even want you running it as it is very slippery when spilled on the track which could shut the track down for a while in case of an off. Water wetter works as well and isnt slick when spilled and is a lot cheaper and lasts longer per bottle. :dontknow:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Well just for your information Engine Ice retails for $19.95 only takes 3/4 a bottle to fill a ZX10 .No mixing already has distilled water in it.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Call Engine ice...they claim it is a myth they can't be used on a track...I have used both and never had a problem with either product...

(at Buttonwillow when it was 115 degrees outside can you guess the track temps...and I rode full race leathers home on the bike for 4 hours as our trailer broke down)...didn't pee for three days...

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Water Wetter has no anti freeze property! You must change before it is too cold.

Watter Wetter, in fact is a lubricant. Many run just water for racing..the water wetter does help keep the temp down a tad; but more so it is a lube to in fact help your water pump.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If your not running at the track, the best cooling mixture I've used is Watter Wetter with regular pre-mixed antifreeze. Back in the day, I use to use Engine Ice like it was going out of style. Either way, so long as you have some kind of liquid in your radiator it's better then no liquid in your radiator. LOL

·
Registered
474 Posts
How does the water wetter work for winter lay-up well below freezing temps. up north?
Engine Ice is a anti-freeze.Problem solved

·
Registered
603 Posts
question guys ? is water wetter good for cars or trucks if you use them daily back and forth to work ?
granted flushing the radiator out etc.

You can use it in any liquid cooled engine. I wouldn't want it in my truck because obviously you are going to be needing to drive it in the winter when it would freeze. I personally don't think it works nearly as good as they claim...I continue to use it but I have never seen any decrease in temperature

1 - 20 of 31 Posts