Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,been a long time since i last put up a post!!

This is my second 04/5 10R,on my previous one had no problems with it and run up almost 30k on the clocks.
My latest 10R has developed a problem,was out on it the other night giving it the berries when all of a sudden it seemed to hesitate then picked up again,when i slowed down it felt like it was running out of fuel,stuttering and back firing, but when i gave it another handfull it would chug along then take off as tho nothing was wrong!!At a standstill with the engine running the engine would hunt all over the place popping away with pretty blue flames [night time].
Today i removed the airbox [cleaned the air filter,K&N]and looked for a fuel filter of some sort but could not find one!
Any of you Guys point me in the right direction to cure this?

My 10R engine mod wise has a full Akro,K&N and a PC3.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is your fuel pump. There is a screen in the bottom of the tank that is the fuel filter That could be clogged.
Screen in the tank or in the fuel pump itself? :dontknow:
Have looked at the PDF Kawasaki workshop manual and there is no mention of this......infact any form of fuel filter!!

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
The only "filter" is the little bag on the suction end of the pump. It's not a separate part number from Kawasaki and that's why the service manual doesn't say anything about it, but it's there.

I'd be tempted to unplug the Power Commander at the big connector to the throttle bodies - take it out of the system completely - and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Yeah, it sounds like a fuel pump. Fine at low RPMS, stuttering or feeling like misfiring on high RPM's. If it is in fact your fuel pump, I have one for sale, not sure how much shipping is to England though.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right...found the time to have a look,removed the tank and airbox,checked all connections,then started removing stick coils,the second one i removed [2nd from right]had water damage/corrosion to spark plug and inside of stick coil,cleaned up both but then noticed when test fitting plug into coil i found it to be a poor fit!!
So,gonna source a new stick coil and while i am at it replace all the spark plugs!
As suggested will also check the fuel pump filter.
Will keep you informed!
:wink:

·
Registered
700 Posts
When you pull the fuel pump. You haft to take the housing apart and in the very bottom you will see the screen. I have a set of stick coils but shipping to england would be high. Put some diuretic grease on in the coil before Putin the plug back in.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your replies!! :wink:
Tested stick coil as Duckybrandon suggested and it is kaput!!
Also took fuel pump apart....and....F:eyecrazy:K me the amount of crap in the pump pit and the filter was a tad mingy!!
So just waiting for a new coil.
:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts