Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace the engine on my 2007 ZX-10R. My current engine has has work done on the top end, but the bottom end in no good. I'm not sure if it is possible to swap out the head, assuming it is still good, from my current engine into a new/used bottom end. Also are any other year engines compatible for the 06-07 or do i have to get an engine from another 06-07?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
It should swap just fine from one generation to the same, no questions asked. The first 3 generations run a very similar head if I'm not mistaken, but I can't 100% say that the 1st gen is a direct bolt on. The gen 2 and 3, however, should interchange with little-no-modification.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would it be worth it to go with a Gen3, or should I just stay with a Gen2? Would the Gen 3 work with current harness and ECU?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
The gen 2/3 electronics are not a direct swap; the gen 3 runs staged (8) injectors, while the gen 2 runs just 4. The harness and ECU will be different, as well as the TB's, airbox, tank, and fuel rails. Staged injection is superior to the 4 injector set up, but not enough to warrant the change IMHO.

As far as the motor goes, they are nearly identical. The gen 3 has a couple cosmetic changes and different cams IIRC, but is otherwise very similar. There may be other small differences in the head/valves/static compression, but nothing that prevents them from being mechanically interchangeable. If you are in the business of tuning or doing top end work on these motors (which you said you've already done), there's no notable difference between the two.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts