Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R KRT-2016
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my 2016 KRT has the usual R&G frame, fork and swingarm sliders, but was missing in engine case protection and fork lock-stops. Decided to design and make them, since I own a related industry. Here goes the process:

1. Like the OEM case savers, using a 16 guage sheet metal as the base plate here. This way, you don't need a clutch saver, as it never comes into contact with the broad timing cover slider projecting out. High tensile EN.19 is used

2. Took measurements of the PCD with the diagonals as we don't have the Kawa drawing. I'm using a 5 hole fitment on the stator for increased rigidity and better shock load distribution on the engine, unlike the 4 hole design commonly used.

Here are the laser cut back plates for the stator and timing cases, with drilled holes and contoured edges. The holes at the center will be used to fit sliders that will also be machined in aircraft grade aluminium.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
These plates are mounting on the engine using collared sleeves that have the same diameter at the bottom as the flanged stock bolts. They have been machined thinner at the top to reduce weight. The sleeves will be TIG welded to the base plate after final fitment, so they function as a single unit. For fastening, I'm using Titanium bolts that are commensurately longer, as required with spring wasshers.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First test fit on the engine. The measurements & machining was precise. They fit easy

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Billet aluminium sliders partly machined. The core will be lightened to reduce weight. These will be tapped with internal threads that take 2 M6 bolts each, from within.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Meanwhile, as the sliders get machined, the fork lock-stops are ready. They've been machined from billet aluminium and an eccentric slot has been milled at the circumference, so they sit flush against the air-intake housing ridge. This provides for wider load distribution. The stops have been machined such that the handlebar lock function is not disabled. Titanium bolts fasten them to the top hole of the air-intake housing, in the frame

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Side and top views, after a test fit on the bike. The key lock stays functional. The build will continue tomorrow...☺ Meanwhile, I'd look fwd to suggestions on whether to powder coat the base plate black or chrome it🔥🤔

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Case saver plates TIG welded to the stepped sleeves and black chromed

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
6061 grade Billet Aluminium sliders core milled to reduce mass. The hollow channel also serves as an air duct for wind and reduces resistance. Ready for assembly.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Case savers assembled with the billet Aluminium -6061 sliders via tapped M-6 holes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts