Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people here have had problems with their '04 generators?
I am sure this has been discussed before.
Please entertain this nooby?

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
or if someone can link the thread that would be great cause i cannot find it in search.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have personaly rebuilt 2 04s that have come through my shop that the genrator has came apart. They seam to eat the shafts up and get to slaping the case and send metal through the motor. The only change to the later bikes were the spacers and thrust washers.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Metal through the engine... sounds like fun.:badteeth:

If the motor grenades, I'll find a way to stick an '08 motor in my '04.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
958 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
over 20,000 miles on my 04 and no troubles.
tires, oil, oil filter every 3000 miles
spark plugs chain sprockets and check the valves at 18000
almost at 21000 and just did the fork seals.
The left fork was leaking so I did them both.
Wasn't to hard and didn't take long, maybe three hours total time.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Nearly 17k miles on my 04. It seems to me that the US market got the bulk of the dodgy tens,maybe you got them first? I only know of one so far in the UK that let go under racing conditions.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My friends 04 zx10 experinced the same problem. Luckly the bike was under warrenty and they replaced it with a 06 zx10.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
What parts are you changing??
I'm NOT.

Here's the 2005 alternator ...

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/kawasaki-motorcycle-ninja-zx-10r-2005-generator/o/m4122sch435302

and here is the 2004 for comparison

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/kawasaki-motorcycle-ninja-zx-10r-zx1000-c1-2004-generator/o/m4123sch314448

Look at the price for piece number 42033 on the 2005 diagram (over $600). And look at the price for the gear 16085 (almost $500). And the shaft ($165). They all have different part numbers - and there are other different parts, those are the expensive bits. This is a $1500 job by the time you are done.

I've heard that there is a way to update the 2004 alternator to fix the clearance problem that they were manufactured with by changing some of the washers, but I don't know anything about this approach. Given how finicky this alternator seems to be about its clearances, what are the chances that attempting to fix something that isn't broken will cause a problem that wouldn't have happened had it been left alone? Anyone know anything about this?

46,000 km and no problem so far.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts