• Ring2 + White Gold Setting

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Torn between 2 rings and need some fellow zed-ex'rs help! Also can't decide if I should go with a platinum or white gold setting. Platinum is better quality, but white gold is $2k cheaper for each design. If I choose white gold, I have more $ for the diamond, but platinum won't fade as quickly as white gold. My max budget is $7500. What do ya'll think?

Ring1 is $4100 in platinum or $1900 in WG and Ring2 is $5k in platinum or $3500 in WG

Attachments

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
i would go with the second just because if the first flexes it looks like it could drop the stone

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
# 2 for shur. Like tha design its up to you bout platinum or white gold guess its what you want to spend.

·
Registered
352 Posts
#2 in WG.

For my wifes wedding band, I didn't spend a WHOLE lot of money on it because she isn't into the bling bling. Then for her last birthday, I upgraded the band... came home and surprised her. She won't wear it though because of the emotional attachment she has with the original one.

I'm quite sure (if she's a good one), she'll be happy with whatever you decide to put on her hand! :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Stay away from platinum. It mares easy and requires constant polishing. The kind that requires going to the jeweler.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I forgot to choose. Lol. I say go with number two in white gold. White gold doesn't wear out as fast as you think. It will be a long time before you need to re dip it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
#2 white gold bigger diamond, If your girl is like my wife she wants a bigger rock over a precious metal

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stay away from platinum. It mares easy and requires constant polishing. The kind that requires going to the jeweler.
See, I keep getting told that platinum will last longer. Yes, it will patina, but it won't fade and it can be buffed out. White gold has to be rhodium plated occasionally to keep it shiny. :dontknow:

·
Registered
434 Posts
See, I keep getting told that platinum will last longer. Yes, it will patina, but it won't fade and it can be buffed out. White gold has to be rhodium plated occasionally to keep it shiny. :dontknow:
I'm not talkin about patina on the platinum, I'm talking about very viewable scratches and marks. White gold that is worn everyday would need to be replated every 3 years or so. Not that frequent in comparison to the upkeep of plat. If you ask a jeweler they would most likely recommend white gold even though they make more from plat.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
First ring...I bought my wife one like that and its very unique, she gets so many compliments on it...as far as the diamond falling out, in 8 years the wifey has never had a problem, and even if she did, it has a lifetime warranty so if it did ever fall out due to ring "flexing" they'd replace it...

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First ring...I bout my wife one lime that and its very unique, she gets so many compliments on it...as far as the diamond falling out, in 8 years the wifey has never had a problem, and even if she did, it has a lifetime warranty so if it did ever fall out due to ring "flexing" they'd replace it...
You and I are the only ones who like the 1st?? I am surprised as the 1st is so unique and edgy; I thought my fellow zed-ers would go for the more edgy styled ring. Interesting!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
You and I are the only ones who like the 1st?? I am surprised as the 1st is so unique and edgy; I thought my fellow zed-ers would go for the more edgy styled ring. Interesting!
Yeah, the first one is definitely unique and different than most rings you see...I love it!

·
Chairman of the Board
16,020 Posts
Im not sure how many woman want an "edgy" ring for their wedding ring though. I think more of them go towards timeless beauty in that area. Just a guess on my part though. :badteeth:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im not sure how many woman want an "edgy" ring for their wedding ring though. I think more of them go towards timeless beauty in that area. Just a guess on my part though. :badteeth:
I agree for sure, but I don't want to get her a ring that 1 out of every 5 women are going to have. I don't one of her friends to say "Oh that's pretty! My friend has one just like it." I want a 'wow' factor from everyone and ring one gives that, but then again I don't want to get her a ring that she thinks is cool, but not engagement appropriate...

·
Registered
358 Posts
#2 for sure that thing looks great, and if you do ring one in gold it will flex and it looks like that stone will go missing and that would be a shame

·
Registered
1 Posts
They're both great choices. I got my wife her engagement ring from James Allen too and she totally loves it. And it looks as good a year later as it did the first day she wore it.

I think the only issue is budget for you. I wouldn't worry about the stone going missing. Tension set rings are very strong. It's not going to happen. It's really only an issue of finances. I bought my wife a white gold ring because I couldn't afford platinum, but everyone has their own financial considerations.

What are yours? Is debt an issue? It the price difference is no big deal for you, go for platinum.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They're both great choices. I got my wife her engagement ring from James Allen too and she totally loves it. And it looks as good a year later as it did the first day she wore it.

I think the only issue is budget for you. I wouldn't worry about the stone going missing. Tension set rings are very strong. It's not going to happen. It's really only an issue of finances. I bought my wife a white gold ring because I couldn't afford platinum, but everyone has their own financial considerations.

What are yours? Is debt an issue? It the price difference is no big deal for you, go for platinum.
Jamesallen has excellent customer service and a great service staff. I am very impressed with this company.

Did you go with 14k or 18k white gold? How many times have you had it polished/serviced since purchase?

I really want to go with the platinum, but if white gold will keep it's shine and luster near equally well then I may just go that route and put more $ into the diamond itself.

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Personally u should just go to zales and spend less on a set. If she loves u it wont matter, and either way shell still bitch and moan like they all do so y waste the extra coin?

I spent 2300 on a engagement/wedding ring set that looks fantastic and Zales. Shouldve just put it towards go fast parts, bec only diff now is I just listen to her whine with a sparkly left hand

1 - 20 of 28 Posts