Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Are you happy with your employment?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you happy with your current employment? I ask this because I find myself, quite a lot lately, wondering why the hell I am doing what I am doing? I used to really enjoy my work but now it has become more stressing just to go in to work. There are some things at work going on that just get on my nerves; politics, favoritism, people just there for a check, company is becoming more military style telling you what you can and can't do, etc.

They just recently started tracking what they call Early Clockout List. Some background, I work swingshift days and nights 12.5 hrs from 6:45 to 7:15, I checked this list out and basically everyone in the plant is on there including myself. They have me as clocking out early at 7:15-7:18, now how is it I get off work at 7:15 and they say I am clocking out early. I know their reasoning is that we are supposed to be on the machine til 7:15 but it doesnt take but about a min to a min and a half to get to the time clock. Aren't they supposed to give time to get cleaned up after work?

I guess I am just venting but it got my curiousity up to find out how many of my fellow members are truly happy with what they do for money.

Tread

·
Registered
234 Posts
I used to work those hours at a printing company. They wanted you in about 15 min early for a turnover and out about 15 min lat for a turnover. We also didn't get a break or a lunch. We ate while we worked.When we had a chance that is. Your drink was always hot and you food was always cold. They watched us like hawks, too. It got really political there and there was a lot of favoritism. I'll try to be the best damn worker in the world, but unfortunately for me, I will not kiss the bosses ass. Even when you had vacation time and planned it waaay in advance, if they felt like they didn't want you to take it when it was time, they didn't let you. I decided to make a change after 10 years. I miss a lot of the co-workers, but I'm glad. Hope it gets better for you.

·
Registered
620 Posts
i think everyone goes threw bs and questions why they are there

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I hear you Tread! I am in management for a Japanese auto parts supplier. I did not have choice to go into this job if I was going to stay. I am supposed to stay until the days work is done....it is never done, and the top managment knows it. I am fine until about a mile away and then I get an upset stomach.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Guarantee the higher ups get their vacations, food, bathroom breaks, etc., whenever the bleep they want them. And how you have to cut your vacation time short, because there's a crisis at work. But, ask for a raise, and your lot is a dime a dozen on the streets. Oh, and don't you just love it when they tell you that they "can do your job better than you can". I've said, "prove it, here's the keys". Was told after that, that I had a problem with authority (boss). What I have a problem with is incompetence and lack of leadership.
The extra 15~20 before and after is called "face time", but don't you dare clock in/out before or after the appointed hour. Gotta prove your heart beats the company colors and other assorted BS.
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, T-shirt worn out, don't want another one.
I've been self-employed for the past 10 years. I learned a wonderful new word that you can't and don't dare utter if you are employed. That word is "No". Amazing to me is the respect it gets from others. And I've found that if I have a problem with the boss, then I guess it's was really me and not the boss! :lol:

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
gpz1100 said:
Guarantee the higher ups get their vacations, food, bathroom breaks, etc., whenever the bleep they want them. And how you have to cut your vacation time short, because there's a crisis at work. But, ask for a raise, and your lot is a dime a dozen on the streets. Oh, and don't you just love it when they tell you that they "can do your job better than you can". I've said, "prove it, here's the keys". Was told after that, that I had a problem with authority (boss). What I have a problem with is incompetence and lack of leadership.
The extra 15~20 before and after is called "face time", but don't you dare clock in/out before or after the appointed hour. Gotta prove your heart beats the company colors and other assorted BS.
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, T-shirt worn out, don't want another one.
I've been self-employed for the past 10 years. I learned a wonderful new word that you can't and don't dare utter if you are employed. That word is "No". Amazing to me is the respect it gets from others. And I've found that if I have a problem with the boss, then I guess it's was really me and not the boss! :lol:
Congrats on the taking the chance and doing it your way, almost choked me up reading your post. Hate to thread jack, but I know exactly how Tread feels and obviously you knew as well gpz.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Yeah, used to come home after what Sting put so well, "another humilating kick in the crotch" (daily, ah, hourly) and tell my very sweet wife to "not talk to me" while I decompressed. At least I didn't drink. Unfair to her in the extreme. And very hard on a marriage. Now we get along better and most of the time are working together at jobs. Wouldn't recommend to most couples, but it works very well for us.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Tread70 said:
Are you happy with your current employment? I ask this because I find myself, quite a lot lately, wondering why the hell I am doing what I am doing? I used to really enjoy my work but now it has become more stressing just to go in to work. There are some things at work going on that just get on my nerves; politics, favoritism, people just there for a check, company is becoming more military style telling you what you can and can't do, etc.
..dude, I've had jobs in the past that I fell out with as well. We all do the best we can, with what God provides us, but sometimes that just doesn't seen to be enough. Might not be a bad idea to think about what kind of career you would like, and ways of pursuing it. We spend so much of our lives at work; kinda a shame not to enjoy it if at all possible....

D

·
Registered
240 Posts
love what I do for living just hate my boss.

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BigDally said:
..dude, I've had jobs in the past that I fell out with as well. We all do the best we can, with what God provides us, but sometimes that just doesn't seen to be enough. Might not be a bad idea to think about what kind of career you would like, and ways of pursuing it. We spend so much of our lives at work; kinda a shame not to enjoy it if at all possible....

D

I have been trying to think of something else. I also told the wife that I want to reduce the debt, so that I have more of a choice. At current, I really cant afford to quit,wife has some medical problems and I need the insurance. If they (doctors), ever get her straightened out and I can reduce the debt then I will be moving on to greener pastures.

Don't get me wrong, I am good at what I do and if a few things would change I wouldn't mind staying. I just need them to think and use some common sense. The company is a Japanese/American corporation and somethings are better. When the Japanese advisors left is when it started going downhill. I'm just glad I'm not the only one.

My 10 helps with the stress relief, just getting out and ridin is good therapy. The wife has just about quit asking,"How was your night?". Its usually the same answer.............

Tread

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Personally I'm really tired of my work and find it very hard to get motivated anymore. Nothing I do is cutting edge or challenging, I work 14-16 hr days just to stay somewhat caught up, I am bored 95% of the time I am working and its hard to stay focused.

It has dawned on me recently that I am pretty much at the pinnacle of my field and unless I spend a lot of time in school I am pretty much maxed out.

I am more determined now to get my auto dealers license and persue my class 3 and SOT firearms licenses so I can do what I truly enjoy. Hopefully if one of those 2 fields pans out I can start dabbling in real estate and really make a killing.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
We have our moments here but over all I love my job and couldnt see doing anything else.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I really like my job, however at times I do get burned out. Im trying to put my own thing together though. That would be best.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I've only been at my job for a little over 6 yrs. I work for the phone company. I'm not allowed to publiclly post what company but its the major one in the south east. I worked on phones for the first four years then had the opportunity to join the dsl crew. You had to pass a test to prove you could work on pc's and the networds to get this job. The test was hard enough that over 60 people took the test and only 8 of us passed here in Charlotte. We were putt in a crew with a couple other guys that had already been trained and working at this position for a while. The rest of us got very little if any training and were put in the field and expected to make production. It took me a couple months but got the hang of it and was doing pretty good. I worked in this position for about 2 years and earlier this year the company decided that everybody in the company was smart enough to do what we did and so the disbanded our crew. Now everybody in Charlotte is trying to do this and most don't have a clue what to do. So the phone repairmen are calling the old dsl techs for help on dsl jobs while we are out working on phones. It just really pisses me off how the company treats its employees. The work isn't hard and its fairly interesting most of the time. Its just the bs from managment that makes the job suck. Sorry for the rant. :badteeth:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I probably shouldn't complain, my job is easy, I work from home so I get to see my kids all the time and I get paid reasonably well.

My issue is the politics that have invaded the company since we were bought by the 2nd largest retailer on the planet. Unless you have at least a BS/BA you cannot get promoted now where before it was all about your actual knowledge of the job. Not to mention that HR runs the company, so all personality is frowned upon.

What I really hate is living in the 3rd worst economy in the US - there just aren't that many jobs to be had here and while I'd like to go off on my own I'm not that creative - I'm a problem solver, not a visionary.

Oh well - once the kids get into school and the wife goes back to work I can probably look at making a change and it can't happen soon enough!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I had to think before I vote because sometimes I love my job and sometimes I'm just content with it, and very rarely I hate it. My dream was to be a car designer (transport design is the academic name) and altough I was accepted to one of the very few universities that offer this course, I made a last minute change and went for something else. I'm good at my job but I know I'd be better at my job and love it more if I became a car designer.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I have been in my field for 11 years. When I first started, there was 5 guys that worked in this shop. Now, we are down to 3. The company will not hire a new apprentice and the former owner/current GM got his overtime pay taken away so he doesn't really work overtime anymore. It is up to me and the other guy to work overtime. Don't get me wrong, bringing checks home with 60-80 hours of overtime is nice, but we do get burned out. Today is my first day off in 41 days. That's 12's Monday thru Friday--8 hours on Saturday and 5 hours on Sunday. The worst part is we start at 4am Mon-Sun.....I have to get up at 2:30am the whole week. The boss is really cool and lets us take off early whenever we want, I sometimes meet the wife for lunch, sometime we go fishing at a pond nearby at lunch.....But we work our asses off too.

I would like to start my own machine shop, but when I add up the cost of the machines I want, the CAD and CAM package, it scares me how much I will be in debt right off the bat. With the machines and building space, I am looking at somewhere near $500K-$750K....Not something I can really do right now.....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts