Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

121 - 139 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Skydork, what do you mean sort out the suspension?

Damper forgotten :)

Do you have the sag set for your weight and riding style? Are your spring rates allowing the suspension to work properly? Is the bike under or over steering? How'd the mid corner handling? Will it hold a line through the corner when applying the throttle? How's the tire wear?

These are the types of questions you should be addressing when adjusting the suspension to suit you. These handling issues can usually be resolved by spending some time and money on the suspension setup. Most people though just leave it alone or use a friend's settings because their cousin's girlfriend dated a guy who did a track day with a dude who knew Scott Russell and his mechanic said to max out the compression damping.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Suspension is bone stock and I probably wont take it on the track. My tire wear is normal so far and my riding style I would say is fairly normal as well. Although mid turn does feel very loose and is not very stable. It will hold a line when on the throttle but I'm constantly correcting my lines during turns. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
It will hold a line when on the throttle but I'm constantly correcting my lines during turns.
from what I'm reading here I'd say your biggest issue is throttle control. If you are adjusting your lines & throttle on/off in the middle of a turn your suspension will bob up & down. Go out and practice this; approach the turns a little bit slower using no brakes and just before you enter the turn crack the throttle (just enough so there is some amount acceleration). If you have some amount of acceleration entering & all the way through the turn the bike (especially the zx10) will be much happier. Think smooth, think throttle control. Read Keith Code's "A Twist of the Wrist"
Also a common mistake is to enter a turn too early causing line changes mid turn.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Just an update; I had the bike into my shop yesterday for an adjustment to the fuel vapor hose, so I asked they guy to check into the ESD connections. He unplugged everything, checked the fuses, said nothing was lose and didn’t see any issues. After he was done we talked for about 15 min. and he said he honestly didn’t know what was causing the warning light to come occasionally. He said that he’s seen these types of error codes caused by low battery voltage, said the battery in these bikes is quite small for weight savings so it is possible ESD’s sensor is not getting enough voltage and therefor sending out the trouble indicator. Yes my battery is fully charged, no other startup or electrical issues. He reminded me that the Ohlins ESD is another manufacturer’s electronic device that was added to the Kawi so the bugs might not be worked out. Again he was giving me his best guess based on his experience. 2nd thought was that the unit might be defective. He did give me the option of letting them switch out my damper for the one they have in the shop to see if that fixes the issue (the owner’s wifes ’13 zx10 is being completely rebuilt for the track and they are installing a different damper, same bike that has the full Graves systems). I will probably take them up on this test swap but I want a little more time to observe mine. Yesterday starting up the bike about 10 times this warning light came on once. Again it comes up immediately on startup and doesn’t go out until the bike is turned off, and it always goes away on a restart. 3rd possible solution; he also said there is another ECU (race ECU I think he said?) available for this steering damper but it’s pricy, $350 I think, and there is no guarantee this will solve the warning light issue.

I feel the need to collect as much information as possible and pinpoint the exact problem before I approach Kawi for any warranty claims because if it’s “brain” related they may void my warranty because of the flash I’ve had done. The ESD does have its own ECU but I’m told that it is also routed through the hub of the main ECU as well, I think that is where the ESD learns how fast the bike is traveling and when to stiffen up the damper.

If anyone else with a ’13 or ’14 experiences this problem I would appreciate hearing from you. And for all you ESD haters out there, the suggestion of “buy a non-esd damper” is not a helpful suggestion at this point, I’m not willing to give up on this new technology but rather focused on solving the issue. I will update when I have more to report.

I have a 13 and have had the same issues. At first I just would shut the bike of and fire it back up and everything would be fine. Then it started to happen a lot, and then I figured out probably why. Every time I pulled the front end up, that damn light would come on about 2 minutes after setting it down. Happened like clockwork, and I have no idea why. Nowadays, the light never comes on, but I honestly am curious if the damn thing is functioning at all now. On the freeway at 90 or so I can jiggle the bars back and forth very easily. It makes the bike speedwobble a bit, and that is. I know that sounds incredibly dumb, but been riding my whole life so whatev, its nowhere near as bad as it happening in the dirt I think.

·
Registered
2 Posts
sorry to resurrect a old thread
but has anyone got any more details about this issue.
my brother bought a 2014 zx10r. when i checked and test rode the bike everything was 100%.
then as soon as he paid for it the esd light came on.
anyway we've changed the battery, i also checked and cleaned up the esd fuse connection points. i also checked the connection points to the esd ecu connector.
however the light comes on every 2/3 start up. I do notice it would tend to come up when the bike is warmed up/hot, but you then turn the bike of, wait a few seconds and then turn it back on and the light doesnt come back on.

anyway it would be good if anyone has had any concrete results on how to fix the issue?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #125

·
Registered
34 Posts
My bike a 2014 too. Same thing happened. I checked the connection terminals. Seemed tight. But I tightened them a bit more. Haven't had the light come on for a couple of months now. I also make sure I let the dash go thru its start up thing, and don't move the bike. Go figure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ok,
for anyone whos interested i've kind nailed the problem.
theres a couple of things that work in tandem to cause this issue.

1. as per manual you should have a very good battery that has a voltage reading of 12.8v or more, otherwise you'll get the light come on
most, if not all the time.
2. now the interesting thing i found is that the light will most likely come on, if your bike is hot and the temperature is above 95 degrees celcius, and the cooling fan comes on, if the bike is turned off and turned back on.

by that i mean, if you turn the bike off, and then turn it back on, and the cooling fan comes on before you start the bike, it will draw down the voltage, causing the light to come on, once you start moving. basically because there is a voltage drop before the esd ecu has time to initialize properly maybe?

so if you turn the bike off, and then on, and the coolant temperature is below 90 degrees, the fan will not be on and the esd light should not come on.

anyway thats what i observed and tested/repeated for the light to come on or off.

so im thinking, kawasaki, or someone with a bit more electrical knowledge should come up with a way, for the bike to turn on (run) first before the cooling fan comes on, giving the esd ecu time to initialize properly.
but first remember you must have a good battery, otherwise you might find the esd light will come on regardless of the fan being on .

·
Registered
838 Posts
It could be battery related.
All zx10s with the small battery struggle to start up. They all sound like thet have a flat battery.
Its due to high compression engine and small battery. One way to check this when you have the light on regular is a set of jump leads on the battery to a car battery which carry alot more power.
Then crank it over and see if it cures the light problem.
Mine has come on a couple of times but after riding the battery is charged up so if i turn it off and on again the light goes off

·
Registered
966 Posts
It could be battery related.
All zx10s with the small battery struggle to start up. They all sound like thet have a flat battery.
Its due to high compression engine and small battery. One way to check this when you have the light on regular is a set of jump leads on the battery to a car battery which carry alot more power.
Then crank it over and see if it cures the light problem.
Mine has come on a couple of times but after riding the battery is charged up so if i turn it off and on again the light goes off
Gotta make sure bikes totally still before cycling key as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2017 zx10r and recently got a ESD alarm . This happened after the bike had been sitting in my house for a week and after I had worked on it the night before leaving the key on for a few minutes at a time plus I charged my phone on it with a XRAM phone holder/charger. The reason the ESD came on in my case was simply because the battery voltage had been too low. It started up fine but that doesn't matter these bikes and even years prior are very sensitive to battery voltage. This subject has been touched on alot I am simply hoping to help a few people out there that have this issue during the same type of conditions and not to worry it's no big deal. Today's sport bikes are so advanced and sometimes with this much technology you get issues like this.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Mines on all the time now.
I removed the ecu and damper motor and fitted a uprated valve in the damper.
But all i have done is stuck small piece of tape over the light.
Who needs an esd light anyway?

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
682 Posts
I have a 2017 zx10r and recently got a ESD alarm . This happened after the bike had been sitting in my house for a week and after I had worked on it the night before leaving the key on for a few minutes at a time plus I charged my phone on it with a XRAM phone holder/charger. The reason the ESD came on in my case was simply because the battery voltage had been too low. It started up fine but that doesn't matter these bikes and even years prior are very sensitive to battery voltage. This subject has been touched on alot I am simply hoping to help a few people out there that have this issue during the same type of conditions and not to worry it's no big deal. Today's sport bikes are so advanced and sometimes with this much technology you get issues like this.
The ESD light came on when my bike stalled one time so I wouldn't worry about it. The CELs on this bike are finicky but are often cured with a simple reflash, reset, or restart.

·
Registered
224 Posts
bring it to the dealer and call kawi yourself...i had an issue on my '15 and the dealer kept giving it back to me saying they couldnt replicate the problem. called kawi america and they told me its an issue with the steering damper ecu (Separate ecu). had to work through it with my dealer and bring the bike to them with the light on to verify before they would get a replacement ecu. hasnt been on since

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have an '18 and had the ESD come on once. I noticed it happened when I started my bike while rolling it out of the garage. I think if you move the bars while crank up it may send an error. Now I only start up while leaving clip ons left alone and never threw error again.. Food for thought..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah I had mine come on when I was rolling too. Stalled taking off from a light and clutched in while barely rolling a couple mph and started her up and it stayed on until I turned it off then back on again

·
Registered
689 Posts
That's definitely a known issue. There was a 4th gen thread awhile back with the ESD light. It turns out that he was regularly starting the bike while rolling down the hill away from his house (to keep the volume down for his neighbours). When he started the bike in place the light would no longer appear.

Reactions: wheelz96

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've only had it come on when I kill the bike on accident. Then it will stay on until I turn the key off and then back on and restart the bike. Not the same as your situation though. I've never had it randomly come on, its always when I kill the bike. (which isn't often but a few times). Must be battery related in my guesstimation.
This happened to me today, a horse panicked so I killed da switch free wheeled past restarted while rolling esd light came on until I stopped restarted then it never came. Back on first time ever this has happened but I got suspension set up today ssr suspensions Telford he told me to get a race ecu or something like that for my ohlins esd he said stock ecu does nothing for the bike, I think he's right.. Tbf, can't remember exactly what he said to get now, will have to ring him Monday morning

·
Registered
838 Posts
I know what this is guys.
The damper does a startup cycle when you turn the bike on.
But this can only happen when bike is stationary because it stiffens up the damper and then backs it off again.
If your rolling it will not do the cycle and throw up an error code.

121 - 139 of 139 Posts