Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

101 - 120 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Orange light has been coming on frequently but haven't noticed the ESD indicator. I will check the battery terminals first and let you all know if this solves the problem on my 14' ZX-10R.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I am getting a warning every few hundred miles. It seems to happen when I hammer the bike over some rough pavement, or when I am sloppy about changing power/TC modes when riding. I figure the ECU is getting some data from the wheelspeed sensors that doesn't compute.

Very rare now though.

·
Formerly "bms"
416 Posts
I am getting a warning every few hundred miles. It seems to happen when I hammer the bike over some rough pavement, or when I am sloppy about changing power/TC modes when riding. I figure the ECU is getting some data from the wheelspeed sensors that doesn't compute.

Very rare now though.
I get it every few hundred miles. I keep my TC on 1 and at the track if the tc kicks in a little bit I get a esd light and stays on until I cut the bike off. I wonder if its the weak battery trying to keep up with the bikes electronics? I'm thinking of buying a better one like others has said to try and cure the problem.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I get it every few hundred miles. I keep my TC on 1 and at the track if the tc kicks in a little bit I get a esd light and stays on until I cut the bike off. I wonder if its the weak battery trying to keep up with the bikes electronics? I'm thinking of buying a better one like others has said to try and cure the problem.
Yep that makes sense. With electronics enabled such as ABS and TC, the computer has to work harder. Maybe that's why my switching modes seems to cause it sometimes.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I also had this problem last week. Mine was a loose battery terminal.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
I also had this problem last week. Mine was a loose battery terminal.
I had the same problem. I was told if the orange light comes on with esd. it's a electrical problem. my negative post was loose. tighten the post and problem gone.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Is it me or will it come on if bike isnt totally stationary at start? Idk thought I noticed that.
Bike has to be stationary when starting. Otherwise you will get the ESD warning. Hold the rear brake when you turn on the key and I always pull in the clutch as a habit. Wait until the self-check is done then fire it up. Don't move off until then.

ECU is checking status of wheelspeed sensors.

Mine will occasionally show a fault when I get on it hard over some weird bumps if the front skims the ground.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question for any of you with a ’13 or ’14.. does your ESD warning light ever come on, and if so how often?

Bought my ’13 4 months ago (1,700m on it now) and the ESD warning light would occasionally (not very often) come on during startup ever since it was new. Only way to get the warning light to go off was to restart the bike. Now it’s coming on every other time I turn the bike on. Not sure if it’s a sensor issue or if something is actually wrong with the unit. Obviously it’s under warranty, but before I take it in I would like to know if anyone else out there is having the same issue. Thanks.

Here is where it comes on the display; A is where the warning light comes on (I colored it in) and B is where the ESD indicator shows

I have a 2015 Uk bike with the same problem. Dealer contacted Kawasaki, they acknowledge there is a pproblem with some bikes and advise keeping the battery on a trickle charger when not in use. They are looking for a solution and will contact owners who have registered this problem with them when one is found. I do not think this is acceptable really and am thinking of contacting trading standards over here

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Orange light has been coming on frequently but haven't noticed the ESD indicator. I will check the battery terminals first and let you all know if this solves the problem on my 14' ZX-10R.
Orange light probably is the ESD warning. The orange light just tells you of an error, and you have to look at the dash display to see what it is. If "ESD" is displayed that's it.

The same light will go on, I believe, if there is a KTRC or KIBS fault.

Check owner's manual for details.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I have a 2015 Uk bike with the same problem. Dealer contacted Kawasaki, they acknowledge there is a pproblem with some bikes and advise keeping the battery on a trickle charger when not in use. They are looking for a solution and will contact owners who have registered this problem with them when one is found. I do not think this is acceptable really and am thinking of contacting trading standards over here
It isn't really a big deal, I was a little annoyed at first but the Shorai battery pretty much eliminated the issue. Also the Shorai saves about 3 pounds of weight, what's that, about 1.3 Kg or something? It just helps ensure the bike will always have enough juice, too, so it's a good idea anyway.

I also had to tear into my steering head bearings and adjust them but got that done too, and no more worries.

Well, until I get my bike back with the new frame and new steering head bearings and have to readjust it once again after it breaks in. Maybe it'll be done just right and I won't have to worry about it for a while.

·
Registered
25 Posts
ok, i've been trying to do as much research as possible before i jumped on here.
anyone have any opinions on the stock damper on the new gens from ohlins?
got a brandy new 2015 30th anniversary, and i'm having issues with it being very loose.
no warning lights or anything. this is performance or ride related. feels likes it's off,
or not working?!? that can't be right can it? are there any settings i can do?
manual says no.....
Thanks in advance......

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,342 Posts
ok, i've been trying to do as much research as possible before i jumped on here.

got a brandy new 2015 30th anniversary, and i'm having issues with it being very loose.

no warning lights or anything. this is performance or ride related. feels likes it's off,

manual says no.....

Thanks in advance......

If you're not getting any weird steering issues, then it's obviously working. If there aren't any warning lights, then it's working. The damping is dynamic and will change based on the condition. The faster and harder you ride, the better the damping.

Forget about it and get you your suspension sorted out before worrying about the damper.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
manual says no.....
Thanks in advance......
ok you do know that the damper is completely off at low speeds and stiffens up at higher speeds automatically right..?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi every one.
With the friend of mine we prepare ZX10r 2015 for track day use
After we instal race body kit ESD yellow light came on.
We made few tests and understood that there is not enough power for esd in some driving modes
So we instal oem head light bulb and esd became to its normal conditions (rectifier need load to produce required amount of energy for ESD)
Decision was to switch on regular Ohlins steering damper (as its not normal to ride bike on the track with the lamp in front of you)))
Question: 1) Does any one try to cheat oem ECU to switch off annoying yellow esd light?
2) Does it affect Traction,ABS or power of bike if i switch off ESD?
Have a nice day Victor

·
Registered
169 Posts
Viktor, Regarding your questions -
#1) I know of no way to currently disable the yellow indicator light
#2) In my testing, when the ESD was disconnected, it did not affect any performance behavior with the bike (when the yellow light was on)

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you're not getting any weird steering issues, then it's obviously working. If there aren't any warning lights, then it's working. The damping is dynamic and will change based on the condition. The faster and harder you ride, the better the damping.

Forget about it and get you your suspension sorted out before worrying about the damper.
Skydork, what do you mean sort out the suspension?
Damper forgotten :)

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,342 Posts
Skydork, what do you mean sort out the suspension?

Damper forgotten :)

Do you have the sag set for your weight and riding style? Are your spring rates allowing the suspension to work properly? Is the bike under or over steering? How'd the mid corner handling? Will it hold a line through the corner when applying the throttle? How's the tire wear?

These are the types of questions you should be addressing when adjusting the suspension to suit you. These handling issues can usually be resolved by spending some time and money on the suspension setup. Most people though just leave it alone or use a friend's settings because their cousin's girlfriend dated a guy who did a track day with a dude who knew Scott Russell and his mechanic said to max out the compression damping.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I mean they can switch on/off so many options on oem ecu, does any one try to switch off ESD?
Best regards Victor
Because the ESD isn't handled by the OEM FI ECU... It simply acts as a messenger relaying information on to the ESD ECU where the calculations and determinations are made.

This is why you can throw a 2013+ ECU (with the ESD) into a 2011-2012 bike (without the ESD) and there will be no light. The main FI ECU doesn't have anything to do with it, everything is handled on the ESD ECU that Ohlins manufacturers and provides.

The only way to bypass the ESD allowing you to remove it and fit a manual/linear damper by itself, without any light is to do what SD did here in this thread:
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f23/esd-elimination-267617.html

101 - 120 of 139 Posts