Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Thanks for chiming in and correct me Sky, guess I remembered it wrong.
BTW what does the relay box do?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,342 Posts
Thanks for chiming in and correct me Sky, guess I remembered it wrong.
BTW what does the relay box do?
It contains the relays to control the headlight circuit, main ECU, fuel pump, starter, and fan.

·
Registered
381 Posts
SD were you able to open your air box without removing the gas tank from the bike?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
SD were you able to open your air box without removing the gas tank from the bike?
It would be a lot easier to remove the last two bolts holding the tank, the fuel line, and fuel pump connector. Sometimes the extra 5min of work saves an extra hour of hassle.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Yes. It is not necessary to remove the tank, simply lift if up and shim a 2x4 under to prop it up. Be sure to wedge a shop rag behind the tank so bracket doesn’t scratch the tank. I learned this method from the guy who dynod my bike. I took these pics when he was installing the airfilter just before the dyno tune.

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thank you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, the relay box is replaced with a little relay switch that goes in the tail of the bike when you have the race wiring harness. And the rubber boot that holds the damper ECU is no longer needed either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2014 zx10r ABS code E3B with ESD

right this is my second zx10r ABS 13 i totaled and just got a 14 a couple weeks ago as im taking it easy braking it in at about 350 miles this started to go off yellow attention with ESD i tried the battery leads and checked connectors< my bike only has 470 miles lights and warning only go on after i ride for a bit and as soon as i switch it off and back on it goes away> after finding in service manual how to retrieve codes im getting E3B code checked through manual gives a lot of things that might be the reason any one have any ideas or where should i start yes bike is still under warranty and yes im sure dealer can figure it out but i want to have a go first i do almost all my work on all previous bikes

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a 13 and my ESD light came on once when I just got my bike. I purchased it new 2 months ago and have only 1200 miles on it. At first I didn't know what it was so I looked at my owners manual and found it was for damper. That was the day I brought the bike home from the dealership and I have never seen the light since then. I would go with a low charge in the battery as the cause since they got the bike ready that morning for me and the battery was on the charger only a few hours. But as I said before, I have not seen the light since then and no problems what so ever with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Right so I got bike to dealer and explained every thing he contacted me a day laiter and told me after consulting with kawasaki that I need a new ESD ECU(ECM) takes couple days to get there and 30 min to install dhhh only problem now is that I have to find out a way to test drive it temperature around here is at 30 to 55

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Yes. It is not necessary to remove the tank, simply lift if up and shim a 2x4 under to prop it up. Be sure to wedge a shop rag behind the tank so bracket doesn’t scratch the tank. I learned this method from the guy who dynod my bike. I took these pics when he was installing the airfilter just before the dyno tune.
Why the f... haven't I thought of that yet? haha

I will certainly use the 2x4 next time I need prop the tank to clean my air filter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the info:

My 2013 ZX10R started having the yellow warning light with ESD showing.

After reading the posts here, I took my seat off and noticed that the dealership hadn't secured the battery after they had installed the LED tail light kit. The battery terminals were only finger tight, and after I tightened them and secured the battery with a couple of ty-wraps the problem has gone away.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Electronic Steering damper problems ESD

Just an update; I had the bike into my shop yesterday for an adjustment to the fuel vapor hose, so I asked they guy to check into the ESD connections. He unplugged everything, checked the fuses, said nothing was lose and didn’t see any issues. After he was done we talked for about 15 min. and he said he honestly didn’t know what was causing the warning light to come occasionally. He said that he’s seen these types of error codes caused by low battery voltage, said the battery in these bikes is quite small for weight savings so it is possible ESD’s sensor is not getting enough voltage and therefor sending out the trouble indicator. Yes my battery is fully charged, no other startup or electrical issues. He reminded me that the Ohlins ESD is another manufacturer’s electronic device that was added to the Kawi so the bugs might not be worked out. Again he was giving me his best guess based on his experience. 2nd thought was that the unit might be defective. He did give me the option of letting them switch out my damper for the one they have in the shop to see if that fixes the issue (the owner’s wifes ’13 zx10 is being completely rebuilt for the track and they are installing a different damper, same bike that has the full Graves systems). I will probably take them up on this test swap but I want a little more time to observe mine. Yesterday starting up the bike about 10 times this warning light came on once. Again it comes up immediately on startup and doesn’t go out until the bike is turned off, and it always goes away on a restart. 3rd possible solution; he also said there is another ECU (race ECU I think he said?) available for this steeringdamper but it’s pricy, $350 I think, and there is no guarantee this will solve the warning light issue

I have the same issue as above. Been told the exact same thing. I bought and raced the 2011 model, I have owned two S100rr after the kawi and raced them and now i am back to 2014 model, just bought it last month in Dec. So far, i have replaced the ECU for the ESD cuz the same thing happened as above, then the dealer replaced the damper itself and it happened again. This is very difficult and frustrating as well as extremely dangerous, it is very unpredictable and dangerous! not sure the racing Ohliins ESD is any good if this seems to be a software issue:dontknow:

·
Registered
102 Posts
My light was flashing on my new 2014 but not exactly like yours, it would flash real quick from time to time, sometimes it stay on for 1-2 seconds at max, took it to the dealer, they tried the battery, cluster and ecu, turned out it was a bad ecu, a member on my local forum told me he has the same problem and was said they had a bad batch of ecu, don't know if this is true , but the ecu swap cured my light flashing problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
update

So the dealer changed the regulator voltage. He said that it got hot and when it does the bike's regulator didn't work. I asked if that will happen again or often, he said it was just this unit. NOW, that was last friday,mind you i took the bike back to the dealer last sunday half way thru my ride. Now again, i take out the bike on sunday, and guess what? Same thing.
I posted a video testing the damper http://youtu.be/mxJRsO5nWig showing the problem, showing that even after disconecting the damper it was still the same! Meaning if the damper was working, it would get worse or there would be a difference, but it didn't. And yes the tire pressure is up to par, and the road is smooth and clear. The bike is very dangerous!
I am taking the bike to the dealer right now for the last time, this is a lemon bike regardless. If Kawasaki have issues with this, sell us the bike with the manual damper at a discounted price and we will love it like the 2011 models.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Shorai battery and charger solved my problem. Light was coming on frequently, after install of Shorai, have not had the light come on again in several hundred miles.

81 - 100 of 139 Posts