Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for any of you with a ’13 or ’14.. does your ESD warning light ever come on, and if so how often?

Bought my ’13 4 months ago (1,700m on it now) and the ESD warning light would occasionally (not very often) come on during startup ever since it was new. Only way to get the warning light to go off was to restart the bike. Now it’s coming on every other time I turn the bike on. Not sure if it’s a sensor issue or if something is actually wrong with the unit. Obviously it’s under warranty, but before I take it in I would like to know if anyone else out there is having the same issue. Thanks.

Here is where it comes on the display; A is where the warning light comes on (I colored it in) and B is where the ESD indicator shows

Attachments

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My yellow light always comes on at startup, but what does that ESD mean? Never seen it.
ESD - means the Electronic Steering Damper has an issue, that’s why the orange warning light comes on and stays on.

·
Registered
292 Posts
ESD - means the Electronic Steering Damper has an issue, that’s why the orange warning light comes on and stays on.
Oh, dohh!

I have an 11' and that's why I've never seen it.

Well it seems like they should replace the ESD or something. Little lights like that drive me nuts!

·
Registered
45 Posts
mine came on and i posted about this same problem but it seems to have worked its self out because it hasnt came back on. you can try to pull the fuse to see if it will reset the ECU because the esd is a separate computer then the main ECU or i think if the light comes on and you push and hold the top black button on the speedo it might show you the code but im not 100% on that

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mine came on and i posted about this same problem but it seems to have worked its self out because it hasnt came back on. you can try to pull the fuse to see if it will reset the ECU because the esd is a separate computer then the main ECU or i think if the light comes on and you push and hold the top black button on the speedo it might show you the code but im not 100% on that
That is VERY helpful, thanks!
Now that you mention it this issue has been since I had my mods/dyno and the ESD’s ECU was unplugged.
Thanks, I’ll try resetting it and I’ll report back on how it’s doing.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update; I had the bike into my shop yesterday for an adjustment to the fuel vapor hose, so I asked they guy to check into the ESD connections. He unplugged everything, checked the fuses, said nothing was lose and didn’t see any issues. After he was done we talked for about 15 min. and he said he honestly didn’t know what was causing the warning light to come occasionally. He said that he’s seen these types of error codes caused by low battery voltage, said the battery in these bikes is quite small for weight savings so it is possible ESD’s sensor is not getting enough voltage and therefor sending out the trouble indicator. Yes my battery is fully charged, no other startup or electrical issues. He reminded me that the Ohlins ESD is another manufacturer’s electronic device that was added to the Kawi so the bugs might not be worked out. Again he was giving me his best guess based on his experience. 2nd thought was that the unit might be defective. He did give me the option of letting them switch out my damper for the one they have in the shop to see if that fixes the issue (the owner’s wifes ’13 zx10 is being completely rebuilt for the track and they are installing a different damper, same bike that has the full Graves systems). I will probably take them up on this test swap but I want a little more time to observe mine. Yesterday starting up the bike about 10 times this warning light came on once. Again it comes up immediately on startup and doesn’t go out until the bike is turned off, and it always goes away on a restart. 3rd possible solution; he also said there is another ECU (race ECU I think he said?) available for this steering damper but it’s pricy, $350 I think, and there is no guarantee this will solve the warning light issue.

I feel the need to collect as much information as possible and pinpoint the exact problem before I approach Kawi for any warranty claims because if it’s “brain” related they may void my warranty because of the flash I’ve had done. The ESD does have its own ECU but I’m told that it is also routed through the hub of the main ECU as well, I think that is where the ESD learns how fast the bike is traveling and when to stiffen up the damper.

If anyone else with a ’13 or ’14 experiences this problem I would appreciate hearing from you. And for all you ESD haters out there, the suggestion of “buy a non-esd damper” is not a helpful suggestion at this point, I’m not willing to give up on this new technology but rather focused on solving the issue. I will update when I have more to report.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've only had it come on when I kill the bike on accident. Then it will stay on until I turn the key off and then back on and restart the bike. Not the same as your situation though. I've never had it randomly come on, its always when I kill the bike. (which isn't often but a few times). Must be battery related in my guesstimation.

Reactions: Sheasmeade

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you, that little bit of information is helpful.

·
back to car scene
4,297 Posts
time for a hyperpro!!!

if its flash related....that could be fixed as well, given the tuner would be helpful in the situation by going back through anything that touches that light (harness related) im sure its a PITA

good luck man, keep us posted

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well going Hyperpro might be an improvement on the damper end but it definitely won’t solve the issue I’m having with the warning light, as a matter of fact it would make it worse. Replacing/removing & unplugging the ESD causes the orange warning light + "ESD" on screen to stay up permanently, it can’t be turned off. I know this because the ’13 zx10 at my shop being built has it’s damper disconnected and they started it up to show me the display. My first questions was “where’s the fucking ignition key?” and they said they removed it, don’t need it. just turned it on with the kill switch and hit the starter button. Side note I know, but I found interesting.

leadfoot: “if its flash related....that could be fixed as well, given the tuner would be helpful in the situation by going back through anything that touches that light (harness related) im sure its a PITA”

So are you saying my shop would have to contact ECUnleashed (my flash) to see if they can help? what is PITA?

·
Registered
547 Posts
It would seem you have a fault somewhere, best thing to do is take it to the dealer for them to diagnose the problem.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
I would recommend a 11-12 ZX-10R (other model ZX's may work as well) Ohlins Stabilizer w/race needle over the Race SCU (suspension control unit)

Is there not an error code that you can read from this so you can better pinpoint the issue?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is there not an error code that you can read from this so you can better pinpoint the issue?
I don’t know where to look to check for the error code. Do you bring it up on the display somewhere?
My mechanic spoke of error codes that were triggered by low voltage readings from the battery but he didn’t mention where to look for them.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
I don’t know where to look to check for the error code. Do you bring it up on the display somewhere?
My mechanic spoke of error codes that were triggered by low voltage readings from the battery but he didn’t mention where to look for them.
Attached is a screen shot of the 2013 ZX-10R manual that garth285 so graciously hosted for us on his website.

Also, here's a link so you can download it yourself. It may take a minute or two to download.

http://garth285.com/manuals/2013 ZX-10r Service Manual.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
Any reason why your mechanic didn't check for codes when you mentioned it to him?:dontknow:

1 - 20 of 139 Posts