Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know what you guys think. I am trying to decide between a electronic controlled Ohlins or the regular Ohlins for my 2013 ZX10R. My local Ducati mechanic who is great is telling me not to do the electronic one and go with the regular TTX. He said the electronic is junk as it is on the Panigali. So I would like your thoughts on both.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have the electronic unit, nothing wrong with it, put the correct spring and preload on and its great allrounder, if your pushing the limit at a particular track then manual is better as can tune it for that circuits particular layout, not relying on an algorithm to sort things.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
You cannot compare OEM electronic Ohlins shocks to aftermarket Ohlins Electronic shocks. IF you're mechanic is as great as you say he is then he should know that.

If you are just street riding and the occasional trackday then the electronic shock is excellent.

If you are racing or track only which means you will likely also be investing in a linear race linkage then get the conventional TTX-GP which is going to have to be custom valved anyway.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Street riding and occasional track riding go electronic (set preload and forget the rest)

Racing full manual adjustment to fine tune your suspension.

Considering the electronic unit only detects which power mode you are in and then operates within a preset range of parameters.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I was an expert racer and had over 12,000 track miles on my Ducati 999R. The mechanic I spoke of knows how I ride so maybe that is why he said to go with conventional. He does think the electronic doesn't work well even on the Panigali. I think I will go with the electronic since I will not be racing the bike. It will see a lot of track time and Sunday morning rides. I ride my Harley more than the 10R.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm wanting to do the rear shock and I was thinking of the electronic.... The bike is modded to the hill and I plan on doing more track days this year but that might be say 6 or 7. Then the rest will be limited street.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I was an expert racer and had over 12,000 track miles on my Ducati 999R. The mechanic I spoke of knows how I ride so maybe that is why he said to go with conventional. He does think the electronic doesn't work well even on the Panigali. I think I will go with the electronic since I will not be racing the bike. It will see a lot of track time and Sunday morning rides. I ride my Harley more than the 10R.
As far as I'm aware the ZX10R Mechatronic is completely different to what's on the Panigale.

The Panigale electonic ohlins basically just adjusts the damping to a fixed position depending on what mode you set it too. It basically makes one single adjustment for you as if you had just turned the screw 1/2 a turn in manually. It is in no way dynamic.

The Mechantronic on the ZX10R differs. The mechatronics system reads all the rider inputs such as rpm, gear, engine mode, constant throttle or opening throttle etc. and then layers in mph and lean before adjusting the damping of the shock. So it doesn’t matter what pace you’re at or what you’re doing, the shocks damping will always be at the optimum.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Can you fit the shock without taking the tank off as the manual instructs ?
You don't have to remove the tank if you have someone to help. Someone will need to prop it up all the way while the other slides it in. That's how installed my TTX GP

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Can you fit the shock without taking the tank off as the manual instructs ?
No because this bolt you need to access is directly under the tank.

Taking the tank off is easy anyway, don't sweat it.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was hoping to get to that nut by just lifting the tank up and hinging it back rather than removing the tank completely.

For info, me and tank removal don't mix to well. I tried to remove the tank on my Blade and it was a PITA as the connectors at the fuel pump were seized and that experience have put me off TBH.

Those that did remove the tank did you drain it first or is the fuel held in the tank by a one way valve or similar ?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
The tank has a quick-disconnect fitting. It will leak about 30ml of fuel which is easily captured with a few wadded up paper towels as you remove the fitting from the tank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Shock

I have a gem 4 with the mecatronic shock. Yes you can change without taking the tank off due to the holes in the frame but I will tell you I have done it both ways. Taking the tank off is 10000 times easier and you can do it more cleanly. The shock has wires that stick out and you don't want to rip the off off or damaging them. Huge improvement over stock. You have to have the correct spring Etc for your bike with your weight and your ride height. Ohlins can help you tremendously just by calling them direct. Takes about 4 days if you send them your shock to out the spring on for your weight etc. I. Never went with the traditional ttx but the shock works great and I can't complain at all.

·
Registered
343 Posts
When removing the tank just be aware that the seam where it's pinched and welded along it's base which can be quite sharp, there is a rubber trim along it which is designed to protect the cabling that runs underneath from being cut.

If that rubber is missing or falls off (which it can do easily) watch your fingers and the risk of pinching you fingers between the tank and airbox.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Some great advice everyone thanks. Got the shock on order and hope to get it in a couple of weeks. Will remove the tank to install and appreciate all the tips

1 - 20 of 45 Posts