inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think i read about it for the v1. this set up should negate some unnecessary splicing if im correct, i just need some input.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Fuse tap :thumbsup:

T-tap

Best way to attach any wire is to solder and heat shrink wrap the connection.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
well there are no fuses on the 10r so what should i wire the "t-tap" to the tail lights? i dont want to blow my radar detector, would that be a prob?

whats a t-tap?

i found the link, http://www.zx-10r.net/images/prht/Radar_Detector.pdf, but theres gotta be a better way to wire the set up w the harness i got?

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bump

·
Registered
582 Posts
"scotchlocks"

Whatever you do, don't use this kind of splice. I absolutely hate these things with a passion!
Get yourself a fused bus bar and plug into it.

Im with you man throw those things away!!! They are designed to cut the protective insulation away and do NOTHING to seal it from corrosion. Nevermind the poor connection quality before corrosion even sets in but add the punishing vibration we dish out to these bikes will destroy all but the best connections.
SOLDER, SHRINK TUBE or even a fuse tap properly done would be better!

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinkin instead of just bein critical, I should offer some suggestions LOL. sorry bout that, I would tap into the taillight circiut that way you don't run the risk of forgetin to turn the detector off and killin your bike battery. ;)
yea that was my logic behind it. how much juice is running to the taillight. would i need to fuse it or could i get away w hard wiring it into the circuit?

·
Registered
582 Posts
I would still fuse it right at the source no matter where the source is, any wire that is un fused is just an invite for a short to ground. and again with how much vibrations these bikes put up with its extremely important to
A. fuse all "hot" leads
B. secure all loose wiring safely out of the way
C. WEATHER PROOF your connections

·
Registered
582 Posts
you know what... I think we need to really know what the x50 radar detector draws for amperage, I am suddenly remembering the bike is designed for its extremely low draw led lighting system. one way you can check to see what the bike can deal with is to check the rating of the taillight fuse vs. what the detector draws

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
good point. did you check out that link?

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you connect it to the brown wire from the ignition switch it will only have power when the key is on and it will be fused from the main fuse on the starter solenoid.:eek:ccasion1

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you connect it to the brown wire from the ignition switch it will only have power when the key is on and it will be fused from the main fuse on the starter solenoid.:eek:ccasion1
are you serious? that sounds almost to easy. not that i doubt your advice but is it smart to even mess w the ignition harness?:dontknow: what size is the main fuse, is it a good idea to trust the radar to it?

·
Registered
41 Posts
The main fuse is 30 amps and the radar detector is not going to pull enough to overload the fuse. If you are wanting the fuse to protect the radar detector look at the fuse in your cig lighter on your car it is going to be at least a 30 amp fuse and that is where the planned on you hooking up the radar detector anyway in your car.:thumbsup:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
good point. did you check out that link?
Since you have been giving so many shit lately about your Flies....for example "check out the link first" or "just do it" or "do a search" etc. then maybe you should head your own advice and do a little homework yourself like find out how much amperage the Radar Detector Draws before you ask for advice because I don't feel like doing it for you. :headshake :idea:

When your done with your homework let me know. :wink:

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Since you have been giving so many shit lately about your Flies....for example "check out the link first" or "just do it" or "do a search" etc. then maybe you should head your own advice and do a little homework yourself like find out how much amperage the Radar Detector Draws before you ask for advice because I don't feel like doing it for you. :headshake :idea:

When your done with your homework let me know. :wink:
haha you got me:bitchslap
everyone needs a good ball-breakin from time to time :wink:

i dont have the radar in hand just yet- awaiting shipment. right now im just trying to use the wonderful world of the .net to educate me w options so i can put together another "how-to"....but unfortunately it may fall short of "detail" so then the mods will never submit it to the how-to section. and if its never submitted to the how-to section you will find more and more people requesting redundant info about shit the mods failed to effectively support them with...by submitting such research and collaborated feedback to the how-to section whenever the effort is put forth i.e. "how-to:remove secondary butterflies"

you guys (mods) will not live that down.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts