Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First: I searched already and found good info. I tried all that stuff:)

When i changed my incandescent bulb turn signals over to LEDs, they blinked too fast.

I tried the flasher change out according to the How-To posted up. I used the EL-12 electronic flasher. After installing it, it did not flash at all. I thought the flasher was bad, so I returned it and got another one, but i still didn't flash. I re-installed the OEM flasher to check function. It flashed, but still too fast, so i figure the system is good. I then did some research, and talked to my bike shop. My parts guy suggested a load equalizer. I have heard of them working, so I decided to try it. It was basically a heat sink looking thingy that connects to both the left and right turn signal circuit. It also gets grounded. I hooked it up correctly (both to a chassis ground, and battery (-) post). The signals still flashed too fast.

SO.......Now I am at a crossroads. Clear alternatives sells 5 ohm, 20 watt resistors that are supposed to work. I can get them at Radio Shack for a few bucks, or i can start ordering the custom flashers that are kinda expensive. But seeing that an electronic flasher already failed to accomplish my mission, I'm apprehensive.

Has anyone encountered this issue of the "normal" solutions not working? This is an 07. Is it different than an 04-05?

I looked at the schematic, and it looks like the flasher relay is BEFORE the signal switch. Most of the circuits I've seen place the flasher AFTER the switch.

Any advice from the electrical gurus here?:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I went through the same thing with my 06 when I put LED's in. Tried the electronic flasher and it didn't work and then I was going to wire up the resistors but by then I liked the faster flash...I think it's more noticeable for all the cagers also.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went through the same thing with my 06 when I put LED's in. Tried the electronic flasher and it didn't work and then I was going to wire up the resistors but by then I liked the faster flash...I think it's more noticeable for all the cagers also.
Thanks man, i was kinda wondering if there was an issue with only my bike, but hearing that it happened to yours too gives me hope that there may be a solution.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any other input guys/gals?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Flashers are power sensitive due to its working principle. The load (in this case the turn signal lamps) makes one of the components inside the flasher heat up to change state.
Other flashers have an electromagnet and a capacitor inside, so this type is also load sensitive.
Freq. change also allows to know when you have a burnt lamp. Thats the main reason why they make load sensitive electronic flashers.
You have to try different resistors values and see which one gives the desired freq.
Its kinda easy to make a not load sensistive electronic flasher but you need electronics skills. May be someone would chime in and do it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have an 05 and my flash rate is increased but if ya dont like it, its as easy as checking the resistance through the stock lighting then through the led lighting. use the resistor that gets ya closest, i would jus solder it close to the light assembly on each side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts