Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just looking for advice. I own a 2005 Zx10r. Has one mod, where I went down a tooth up front. Otherwise, the bike is stock.

A few months ago, my tail light went out due to a blown fuse. Well, I replaced the fuse, and it was another month or so before it happened again. Well, the bike began to blow the tail light fuse over and over again to the point where i just left it off. Literally, the tail light fuse would blow the second I turned the ignition key. Anyway, I decided to ride to a friends house. When i went to leave, the bike was dead. The bike didn't and does not give any sign of life. I checked the battery with a voltmeter and it's fully charged. None of the fuses were blown, but I replaced all the fuses with new ones of the same rating anyway. Nothing. No LEDs, no tach, no noises. Nada.

I pulled fairings off and looked the bike over. There is no sign of burnt wires. Nothing abnormal. So I buttoned up the bike and found my warranty card. It's been sitting for like a month. The bike will be one year old in a couple of days. :eyecrazy:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Check your main fuse. I remember there's a 30A main fuse somewhere in the front of the bike and NOT together with the fuse box.

·
Registered
465 Posts
CountDokoo said:
Check your main fuse. I remember there's a 30A main fuse somewhere in the front of the bike and NOT together with the fuse box.
There is definately a main fuse (Not in fuse box). I have changed before on a ZX7R. Sorry I do not have a manual or knowledge of where it is on the 05 ZX10R. There is a 2004 Manual here:
http://www.shutupandplay.com/Brian/2004zx10r.pdf

Could check to see if electrical wiring is same for 05-06. Keep us posted. Peace:badteeth:

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Think hard. Have you recently worked on the bike? There may be a pinched wire some where of a loose ground.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yeah, replacing the fuse is only a short term solution to a long term problem. You should really source out the cause of the fuse blowing. Probably a bad short somewhere. Start with the tail light unit. :cool:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys are right. It would only be a short term fix. I was hoping to get it fixed under warranty, but who knows if they will even cover it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hello all. Well I havn't figured out what is causing the tail light fuse to go out, but I did find a problem with the main 30a fuse. Turns out the outgoing wire on the 30a fuse relay (i think that's what it's called,) was loose. I unscrewed the already loose screw holding the outgoing positive cable. Turns out the screw was semi stripped or crossthreaded. I think the person who put my bike together f'd up a bit on that little unit. Anyway, I cleand up the thread and blew out the shavings and then used a some locktight on the screw and tighten the cable back up. Then replaced the 30a fuse. It fixed the previously dead bike.

So next week I'm just going to take the bike over to the dealer and have them fix whatever problem is causing the tail lamp fuse to keep blowing.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts