Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was introduced to this simple mod from a friend, who applied it to his car. A tuning shop had fitted addtional ground cables (earth). He had five (5) additional earth cables fitted to the negative terminal of the battery. Each respective cables were routed to various different points in the engine bay. One went to the alternator, the other to the engine block, another to the transmisson and the other two, I could not see where it went. He said this had made a difference to the way the engine feels, according to him it had made it perform better, healthier for want of a better word.
I think (correct me if I am wrong) this creates a better path for the various electrical components and as a trade off producing a healthier spark from the spark plugs.
My question is this. Is it feasible to apply this method to our motorbike engines? Will we reap benefits from it?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I was introduced to this simple mod from a friend, who applied it to his car. A tuning shop had fitted addtional ground cables (earth). He had five (5) additional earth cables fitted to the negative terminal of the battery. Each respective cables were routed to various different points in the engine bay. One went to the alternator, the other to the engine block, another to the transmisson and the other two, I could not see where it went. He said this had made a difference to the way the engine feels, according to him it had made it perform better, healthier for want of a better word.
I think (correct me if I am wrong) this creates a better path for the various electrical components and as a trade off producing a healthier spark from the spark plugs.
My question is this. Is it feasible to apply this method to our motorbike engines? Will we reap benefits from it?
not really, for example your 10R is controlled by the ECU for the Spark..if it has the same ground potential as the engine ground there should be no difference and most control systems are on different circuits....it sound like your friend had ground issues in the first place and adding new ground points might have help....but thats it :badteeth:

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possibly, this is done on a car that is barely 3 years old. Also I am told this is the norm for modified engine tuners. Honestly this is the first time I have seen or heard of it. I understand it if installing a kickass sound system. But they do say it has benefits to be gained from it.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Possibly, this is done on a car that is barely 3 years old. Also I am told this is the norm for modified engine tuners. Honestly this is the first time I have seen or heard of it. I understand it if installing a kickass sound system. But they do say it has benefits to be gained from it.
Ground is ground period...a good system meaning motorcycle or CAR will have no or little differences between them....but certain systems within a vehicle could have a bad connections and not part of the game and many circuits in a vehicle take their ground point from different places. That doesn't mean one place is better than another it means the vehicle is not properly grounded in the first place. :wink:

·
Registered
657 Posts
on a lot of vehicles it actually makes quite a difference. they aren't band-aids for bad grounds, more like alternate paths for current to take, theoretically cancelling out any EM interference caused by grounding loops.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
on a lot of vehicles it actually makes quite a difference. they aren't band-aids for bad grounds, more like alternate paths for current to take, theoretically cancelling out any EM interference caused by grounding loops.
negative, current takes the path of least resistance....a proper grounding system will not take a "Alternate path" but the path the circuit was designed for and nothing else, unless you mess with the resistance like rust or bad connections do and then you have issues. :wink: ....EM is more related to stereo things and maybe the Computer but that was not the question in this thread and the Computer/ECU will hAVE SOME protection for that as well...i.e like generator signals/fields.

bloo

·
Registered
657 Posts
negative, current takes the path of least resistance....a proper grounding system will not take a "Alternate path" but the path the circuit was designed for and nothing else, unless you mess with the resistance like rust or bad connections do and then you have issues. :wink: ....EM is more related to stereo things and maybe the Computer but that was not the question in this thread and the Computer/ECU will hAVE SOME protection for that as well...i.e like generator signals/fields.

bloo
well, i'm not well versed enough in the topic to argue with you, but i will tell you that those grounding systems work a lot of the time, and if you notice on most race cars, they have the systems installed as well. now whether they have them because they work, or because they're being paid to is another story.

i've seen several indepenent tests on them though and they consistently show power gains, and driveability improvements

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
well, i'm not well versed enough in the topic to argue with you, but i will tell you that those grounding systems work a lot of the time, and if you notice on most race cars, they have the systems installed as well. now whether they have them because they work, or because they're being paid to is another story.

i've seen several indepenent tests on them though and they consistently show power gains, and driveability improvements
yeah, not going to argue as well, I just know what I know and electronic principles have not changed for decades......I just think it's about better grounding or to ensure there is no no doubt one frame to another and even the computer is on the same ground as all systems should be on....... seems like the most likely scenario in this case.:wink:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Moved to Performance and tech....could be the Outhouse as well...you should know better bkkninja I got caught up responding but it's all taking care of now. :wink:

bloo

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to add some spice, the tuning shop are advertising it as a performance mod. And I still cannot get my head around it. I have even called my friend to contact the shop to check if they are willing to do the same thing for my bike. At present still waiting for an answer.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Moved to Performance and tech....could be the Outhouse as well...you should know better bkkninja I got caught up responding but it's all taking care of now. :wink:

bloo
Sorry Bloo I shoulda known better. :thumbsup: Will make an effort next time. Just gotten lazy as Big Daddy will do the allocation for you.:wink: So you just post up and he moves to where he thinks it appropiate.:thumbsup: Quite handy.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Sorry Bloo I shoulda known better. :thumbsup: Will make an effort next time. Just gotten lazy as Big Daddy will do the allocation for you.:wink: So you just post up and he moves to where he thinks it appropiate.:thumbsup: Quite handy.

Well, your a GP Rider now show an example man...yeah we all get relaxed but it's time you step up and help out and don't rely on BD anymore. :idea: :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts