Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got an EK 3D chain from Riders Discount. I installed the master link but I think it looks funny.... As in, I don't trust it. Here are pictures and here's what I used....
On the MotionPro chain breaker tool it says to use the "Hollow Pin Master Link" tool which flares the end.
But I feel like I should have used the "annealed tool" to mash the link rather than flare it. I'll show you the chain, the master link, and the tools.
Here is the link after I used the Hollow Nose master link tool.
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1433737271.862338.jpg ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1433737284.012513.jpg

Here's the tools:
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1433737325.648299.jpg
That one pressed inside the hollow pin and expands it.
Here's the annealed tool (didn't use):
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1433737404.425837.jpg
When looking at the annealed tool and looking at the other links in the chain, they all appear to look annealed. Here's the other links:
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1433737480.403004.jpg

Thoughts??
Advice...?

·
Registered
946 Posts
kinda over mashed it a bit, but it's not going anywhere....remember there is no side loading on the links and you prob had to compress the link plate on the pins with some good force.

Personally i'd be fine, but do whatever makes you sleep better at night to make it right.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I think it will be fine but I was a little concerned after I saw it. There's really no way to tell what's "too much" and what's "just enough" when using these breakers. It's been a while since I've replaced a chain. And the last one I used a slide clip and safety wired it.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
If you crimp it to much the link won't "flow" around the sprocket or will look kinked. If it's not doing that then your good, you smashed the hell out of those. A little flare would have been plenty enough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts