Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The good old days. It's amazing how fast Eddie was before they started designing bikes with better frames and suspension. The sound of his bike reminds me of my early years riding my 77 KZ-1000 with the loud ass Kerker header.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Very cool. I have a 76 KZ900... but would much rather have my 2004 ZX10 back :lol:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very cool. I have a 76 KZ900... but would much rather have my 2004 ZX10 back :lol:
I hear ya but when you get another ZX don't ever get rid of the 900. I wish I still had my 77 KZ-1000 just because it represents the beginning of the super bike era. There's also a certain beauty to those bikes too, especially when they're lowered with drag bars, 4 into 1 pipe and a few other things.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I hear ya but when you get another ZX don't ever get rid of the 900. I wish I still had my 77 KZ-1000 just because it represents the beginning of the super bike era. There's also a certain beauty to those bikes too, especially when they're lowered with drag bars, 4 into 1 pipe and a few other things.
http://circusnuts.com/kz_ri2.JPG

Other than previous owner's attempt at cafe racer paint & my upgrade of carbs & ignition, it's pretty much a stock bike. For some reason (can't explain -- upbringing maybe), I'm not good a collecting or owning more than one of anything that's recreational. I just feel guilty. So, I'll pump another thousand (new spoke wheels & tires) or two (paint & possibly refresh on the engine) into it & likely go back to sport bikes within 5 years or so. In my heart of hearts, I'm really a technology geek & working on this bike just doesn't trip my trigger. But I do have to admit, I love the look of this bike & it really seems timeless.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
An Eddie Lawson owner is completely up to date....Nice naked bike usable for today. A set of mild cams, with proper moderate head work, a set of round slide CR carbs and some suspension tuning with a decent tires and rim package.....a retro rocket that rocks :cool:

·
Registered
890 Posts
Im getting old (440 i can remeber lawson starting out like it was yesterday . Kawasaki mad a Eddie Lawson replica in 1981 ? So the new bike is a replica of a replica lol.

back then Kawasaki had the BEST rider recruting scouts . everyone stared on Kawasaki . Spencer(started on kawasaki NOT Honda suprised?) , Lawson , Rainey , Baldwin , Merkel, Gobert , Mladin(in austraila ) Gardner .

They all left Kawasaki because they didnt put enough money into the teams budgets .
Look at that pool of talent .. Kawasaki could have ruled road racing for decades

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Getting old Jake, me too. I remember when Mert Lawill beat the best on a Harley XR750 in roadrace livery at the Trans Atlantic Match Races. Also remember Mike Hailwood on the Honda 250 6cyl GP bike setting lap records and winning the championship with a very odd knee dragging style. You know the 1970 Daytona race with "Bugsy" Mann on a 750 Hondudle?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Holy crap! Been There certainly is an apprpriate name fr you lol. then You also rememberitoBayle ect and especially Christion Sarron who was always in the lead pack but never quite fast enough to win . People dont beleive that he(and others) leaned down to his elbows in the 80s .
pont and shoot was a way to ride over the limit not just to it as the leaning style facilitates. Do you also remember that when we dominated MotoGP that it was predicted that if dirttracking shut down or went to hell the leaning style would come back because the dirtracking style would become a lost art?. At Mototheory.com Im going over this with a statistician named RATS . If you look at te Best riders they come from Dirttracking backrounds. The only champion NOT to have dirttracking experiance /stylein the last 30 yrs was Barros and that was because Doohan got hurt Rossi was the odd man out but he informed me he had always practiced dirttracking at home and adapted it to the tarmac. Rossi wanted the 990s back because now he and Stoner would be the only riders with dirttracking experiance on a MotoGP bike . thus elimininating Lorenzo!. Now with the 1000cc displacement Rossi will battle with Stoner AND Spies( a fly in the Ointment )

·
Registered
829 Posts
The good old days. It's amazing how fast Eddie was before they started designing bikes with better frames and suspension. The sound of his bike reminds me of my early years riding my 77 KZ-1000 with the loud ass Kerker header.

YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.
Thanks for the post, lousy quality but great subject matter :smile:

I too had a '77 Z1000 (and later an '80), a great bike for it's time and I'd quite like another should the opportunity ever arise. That said, over here in Oz, prices for Z1s and later derivatives have gone through the roof (a mate just sold his restored Z1A for AUD $14k, about $12k USD) so its not really likely !

Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Other than previous owner's attempt at cafe racer paint & my upgrade of carbs & ignition, it's pretty much a stock bike. For some reason (can't explain -- upbringing maybe), I'm not good a collecting or owning more than one of anything that's recreational. I just feel guilty. So, I'll pump another thousand (new spoke wheels & tires) or two (paint & possibly refresh on the engine) into it & likely go back to sport bikes within 5 years or so. In my heart of hearts, I'm really a technology geek & working on this bike just doesn't trip my trigger. But I do have to admit, I love the look of this bike & it really seems timeless.
Nice pic, your 900 is in beautiful shape.

Thanks for the post, lousy quality but great subject matter :smile:

I too had a '77 Z1000 (and later an '80), a great bike for it's time and I'd quite like another should the opportunity ever arise. That said, over here in Oz, prices for Z1s and later derivatives have gone through the roof (a mate just sold his restored Z1A for AUD $14k, about $12k USD) so its not really likely !

Cheers,
Brian
I had a few of the older ones too. After the purchase of the 77 KZ-1000 I brought a (I think) 1979 LTD-1000 used. I had a lot of nice parts on the 77 including switching the points over to electronic ignition, #3 grind street cam and 29 smooth bore carbs. That bike was a fucken monster in it's day and still would not be considered a slouch. Kept both bikes and then got a 1987 Ninja 600. Then got a Ninja 1000 in (I think) 1992. I had to sell all my bikes 1996 to buy a house. Didn't ride for 4 years. That was the only time that I didn't own a bike in my 36 years of being street legal. Then I was able to afford to ride again and found a 1983 CSR-1000 (rusty piece of shit, cheap). That bike didn't have the tail on it so I modded an older tail to fit it. Road that bike for a while and then started in on buying newer bikes and doing a lot of custom work on some of them.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE

·
Registered
2,616 Posts

Cool. Is this guy asking too much?http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1550078343.html

1 - 20 of 21 Posts