Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get a damper, but with the holidays the wife doesn't want me to spend any $$$ on the 10 :cry: , so I seen a busa damper in my buddy's garage just getting dusty. I asked if I can play with it, he says go ahead. When I got home, I was in the garage saying to myself, I know that I can a place on the 10 for it. Well this is what I finally came up with...
I made the mounting brackets at work this morning, it's made from 14 gauge, type 304 stainless steel (I'm an engineer for a sheetmetal firm, and I'm their resident CAD expert :cool: ). Now to hit the twisties in the AM to see if it helps. I have to tell someone because once the wife knew it was just my labor, she says "That's nice, what's it for ?" I just wanted to share with people that knows what it's for.

Ed

Attachments

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Love ingenuity, and applaud your work, but being from Sacramento I know how times can be tough these days and especially in the Bay Area, so not slamming you but I do have to question how you could get those levers first before a damper. Just my .02 but that would have been the better mod in the first place. :wink:

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
It looks really good but how does it work??? :dontknow:
Can it handle the 10????

Good job on the brackets and all. :wink:

Keep us posted on how it works. :beer:

·
Registered
583 Posts
bluedevil said:
Love ingenuity, and applaud your work, but being from Sacramento I know how times can be tough these days and especially in the Bay Area, so not slamming you but I do have to question how you could get those levers first before a damper. Just my .02 but that would have been the better mod in the first place. :wink:
:spit: Salute and slam in the same post ! here's to you,,,you tight wad engineer! :beer: :beer: :beer:

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I am impressed too... A DIY that doesn't look Ghetto.

Is everything fat on Busas? That damper almost looks like a shock absorber.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks Guys

bluedevil,

I got the bike (down payment) on a custom Harley, with the CRG's, exhaust, and euro lights already on.

Dreadnought-arr,

Don't you know that most engineers work within a budget making us tight wads :wink: , you know, designing it better and cheaper.

Superbike1,

I never thought about selling them, but if I do, it will be very reasonable (something like $25/set) :smile:

Now I'm off to find some twisties to check it out, I'll give you guys a report later.

Ed

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good news guys, the damper held up and did help, but I think that it needs to be stiffer. Any of you guys know what type of fluid they use in that damper because I'm thinking of replacing it with something a little thicker.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
z4woo said:
Good news guys, the damper held up and did help, but I think that it needs to be stiffer. Any of you guys know what type of fluid they use in that damper because I'm thinking of replacing it with something a little thicker.
call Scotts and tell them your rebuilding your damper and need oil, that might work :thumbsup:

Oh, and glad you cleared it up for me about those levers and the other mods, remember most of us here notice the slightest details and will respond if you don't give more details, and will respond if something doesn't look or smell right :wink:

Thanks Guys
bluedevil,

I got the bike (down payment) on a custom Harley, with the CRG's, exhaust, and euro lights already on.

Dreadnought-arr,

Don't you know that most engineers work within a budget making us tight wads , you know, designing it better and cheaper.

but now I do think you know how to shop and budget and believe you now...you must have got a hell of a deal buying a 10 at a custom Harley dealer...I bet they wanted to just get rid of it for almost free with the 10 making their bikes look bad in their shop...maybe drove sales down :crackup:

·
Registered
583 Posts
z4woo said:
:dontknow: maybe a 20wt anti~foaming fork oil would work or 30wt

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Great idea and looks good

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
Yep, heat it up a little and drain out the factory stuff. I've seen it done on many bikes... You can simply put the damper in warm water for a few minutes, drain it then fill it up with the new stuff. You'll prolly want to warm the new stuff before putting it in too... Just make sit easier cause it's kinda thick. NICE BRACKETS! You should sell those.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Whoooo hold the phone...

The stock Damper oil is only approx 2.5 wt

If you want it to be stiffer then you need 10wt fork oil.

The problem is usually that there is a bit of air in them and they move a small amount without any damping. That makes it still feel a little flappy.

If you want to change the oil then undo the plug and just pump the crap out.

Then you need a long skinny tray (you can mae one :lol: ) that you fill with the fork oil. It needs to be long enough to fit the whole damper in at full extension.

Then drop it in, poor the fork oil in and completely cover the damper.

Then pump and pump and pump intil there is no air in the damper.

Fit the screw and pull it out. Clean it up and refit.

The critical bit is to get the air out.

10wt will give firm but not stiff damping
15wt fairly firm
20wt will make it feel like a truck around town.

:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
You guys are the bomb, all I can say is :thumbsup: :notworthy :rockwoot:
stocky plan seems to make the most sence, so I'll try it first.

Look at the screaming deal I found if any one is interested (it was $200 before) Check out the price :mrgreen:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts