Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Riders,

I was planning to change my break pads to EBC GPFAX. Had few question if anyone who is using them can help me answer it would be great help

1. EBC GPFAX (or any race pads) compatible with stock discs
2. I do only mountain riding and track. (No street riding) I read on EBC website these pads are not recommended for street and not compatible with normal road abrasion.
3. Should i change my break fluid to race break fluid?

Thanks
Jay

·
Registered
169 Posts
I found them to be very powerful if you keep them warm. Not so great on the road where you are not on and off of the brakes often.

Id rather use a worn out set of Vesrah pads before I used anything from ebc.

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
you said mountain riding but no street . What does that mean. edit: Dubai, near UAE and Qatar and tiny country. Persian Gulf. Carter Doctrine messed everyone up, or Zbig doctrine is a better name. Interesting place for a superbike, I suspect.

edit II. Just came back from garage with this: EBC EPFA379HH double H sintered brake pads are perfect for the g4 front. In any conditions, non abs. The g5 has a different front brake system so not sure how they'd work but suspect np. I have over or near 120,000 miles on those pads on two 10r's and really can't remember how many zillion miles on past supers as the past kinda gets blurred with the little things. Front only. oem rear pads rear forever for me. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I found them to be very powerful if you keep them warm. Not so great on the road where you are not on and off of the brakes often.
My experience is different. GPFAX is very good in all conditions: wet, hot, cold disk (first braking out of garage) all very good.
It must be "GPFAX" and not "EP..." or similar. Running them on my ZX10R race and Busa.

·
Registered
Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R KRT-2016
85 Posts
Hello Riders,

I was planning to change my break pads to EBC GPFAX. Had few question if anyone who is using them can help me answer it would be great help

1. EBC GPFAX (or any race pads) compatible with stock discs
2. I do only mountain riding and track. (No street riding) I read on EBC website these pads are not recommended for street and not compatible with normal road abrasion.
3. Should i change my break fluid to race break fluid?

Thanks
Jay
Stay with EBC-HH and you should be good. The GPFAX will eat your rotors . Not necessary, unless you're into pro racing.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Stay with EBC-HH and you should be good. The GPFAX will eat your rotors . Not necessary, unless you're into pro racing.

EBC-HH are shit. Not to be confused with the shit just plain shit... If you really think those are good pads you will be blown away by more modern race pads.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
EBC-HH are shit. Not to be confused with the shit just plain shit... If you really think those are good pads you will be blown away by more modern race pads.
:iamwithstupid:

Thank you for bringing some rationalization to this thread. :notworthy: It started to go sideways a little bit there. I wouldn't put EBC-HH pads on a riding lawnmower let alone a ZX-10R. :headshake: Junk!

·
Registered
169 Posts
You guys are not being fair.

The poor shit pile just sits there and wont do anything unless you go after it.

Meanwhile the ebc pads are dirty, make noise, eat your rotors and dont stop very well. Thats when they are at their best, before the backing warps.

The fact they sell and market that pad as a performance pad really shows they dont care. I would not be willing to give them another chance with their own upgraded pad. Especially when there are so many other known to be better choices.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
EBC GPFAX breaks compatible with stock discs

You guys are not being fair.

The poor shit pile just sits there and wont do anything unless you go after it.

Meanwhile the ebc pads are dirty, make noise, eat your rotors and dont stop very well. Thats when they are at their best, before the backing warps.

The fact they sell and market that pad as a performance pad really shows they dont care. I would not be willing to give them another chance with their own upgraded pad. Especially when there are so many other known to be better choices.

I think we're all saying the same thing here. So I'll give you the fairness with the abundant details of how shitty they are and your advice about using them! Good posting!

·
Registered
Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R KRT-2016
85 Posts
Well, not the best but the GPFAX are rotor munchers. What pads are you using for street and track?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
LDH,

I think you need to give shit some credit... HH are worst than shit...

now the Extreme pro are good pads in my book. I have used them, only complain is that they dont last very long and a bit dusty.

Versha are good also.

Im going next to try Galfers HH with ceramic coating on the back plate, got for good price in COTA from the son of the owner.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
LDH,

I think you need to give shit some credit... HH are worst than shit...

now the Extreme pro are good pads in my book. I have used them, only complain is that they dont last very long and a bit dusty.

Versha are good also.

Im going next to try Galfers HH with ceramic, got for good price in COTA from the son of the owner.

Good luck with those Galfers... There is a reason why they give them away at such a "good price".

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I just going to put them on, to try them.... very low expectations.

what do you recommend LDH for street and occasional track day...??

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
It depends on what you are doing specifically and how hard you are really riding. Many pads can pull double duty, but I have not found a brake pad yet that works equally well in both the street and track environments.

In a perfect world a prudent and experienced rider would ride on the street with a level of reserve commensurate with the risks and laws of public roadways and then use the track for much more aggressive riding. Those 2 different approaches honestly require different brake pads for optimal performance. The reality of it is though that while most street riders think they are the next Rossi they really don't ride that hard to begin with and then when they do go to the track the difference in the way they ride on the track versus the street is negligible at best. There isn't a public road on the planet that offers the same level of grip as a seasoned racetrack and when the vast majority of riders at any given trackday are 15-20+ seconds off the lap record street brake pads are more than up to the task even OEM pads from most manufacturers are easily capable of that task.

When lap times drop as speeds increase then race pads come into their own as they are designed to work at higher temps caused by the friction generated from much higher speeds with greater braking force applied. The difference in what a rider needs from his brake pad performance at 20 seconds off the lap record versus what the guy needs at 10 seconds off the lap record is pretty drastic let alone what the guys at the absolute limit are doing with their brakes. It's also important to note that it isn't just about slowing the bike down, but the control and modulation of that entire braking system as the brakes are also used to set the geometry of the front end of the motorcycle on corner entry as well as increasing the size of the contact patch under braking load. These things are much more critical and require precision at or near race pace.

At any rate my views on brake pads are well documented for anyone that is interested
ROGUE RACING Brake Pads Review Page

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
totally agree...

Im not the next rossy, just a 15-20 sec of the race record...
OEM pads have served me fine.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I havent used the GP ones but have heard that they chew rotors. I run Extreme Pro EBCs on all my bikes and even on the 10R they feel better than the stock pads on bite and feel. HH are absolute junk and waste of money. My advice - unless your bike is a track-use/competition-run only bike, get the Extreme Pros. Have heard good things about the Vesrah as well but havent tried them as yet. Next change maybe.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have glafers on the front of my concours 14. Im using the 1375 series. They do advertise that as "ceramic"

In ways, they are almost ok. Very little initial grab. Remember, this bike uses that 4 pad, per caliper set-up. Its a great caliper. A little heavy. Figure on giving up 30% of your initial power.

Maybe not horrible on a track bike? Then again, when I ask for brakes to slow me down, Id like that. They are also the dirtiest pad Ive ever used. The front rim is always covered in black dust.

These are not nearly worn out, but I ordered Vesrah replacements, and they will be here today, or tomorrow. Even on that big touring bike, its not worth wearing them out.

If you had a system that was "too powerful", maybe. I think they were built with the galfer wave rotors in mind. Those rotors have a hard initial bite, and this pad mellows that out.

Assuming you could deal with the filthy rim and constant need to clean your caliper.....On this caliper, its really easy to have enough build up to stick the pads and have them not properly retract. Cleaning every 2000-3000 miles is about mandatory.

On the shit scale, ebc is the pile of shit.

Galfer is the scale, too, but an alert pet owner has tried to pick up most of the shit. Thank you, but some remained, and thats where I found Galfer to lie.

I think the Vesrah was even less money...or the same.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts