Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to completely drain the tank on my Gen 5, and refill it with Non-Ethanol.

Due to medical reasons, I can't ride right now. The last time I left E gas in my bike for a while, I had all kinds or rust. I'd like to NOT deal with this when I get back on.

Hoping there is some way without removing the tank. Siphoning doesn't work too well...I've tried.

Any help is appreciated.

·
R.I.P. REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
Sorry to hear that you can't ride right now and hope your condition improves quickly. :( As for your problem with tank, here's a couple of things to try based on those constraints:
  1. Flip the bike upside down with the gas cap open and shake it a bit.
  2. Siphon the fuel out with a very small tube that will get down into the nooks and crannies of the tank to get it all out. This will take some time if you use your mouth to siphon it and don't have good suction.
  3. Sell the bike before it rusts to pieces and not worry about it ever again.
  4. Start the engine and let it idle for a few hours until it runs out of gas on it's own.
If you go with recommendation #1, do it over large container to capture the fuel. And don't smoke while doing it. I recommend #3 or #4 as the easiest.

If you wanted to do it all right, then you would take the tank off the bike, take the fuel pump out of the bottom, and let all the fuel run out that way. Over a container of course. OR, you could actually understand why the rust forms in the tank and deal with it appropriately.

Ethanol doesn't cause metal to rust. Worrying about that for your tank is of no concern. The fuel pump would be a concern on earlier models that don't account for ethanol-based fluids. Ethanol can attack plastics and rubber in the same way if they aren't configured for it. On your Gen 4, none of that is not an issue. If you were riding a 1990 ZX-10 then you might have something to worry about.

The reason the tank rusts inside is because you store it partially full or empty over long periods of time. Condensation of the humid air in the tank will let the water sit on the metal. Ethanol is hygroscopic and attracts water. Water rusts steel. Rust forms from water and air that is in your tank. Just like winterizing a motorcycle, you fill the tank full to the top with fuel, add an ethanol stabilizer to it, run the engine for a few minutes to get it through the pump, fuel lines, and injectors, and let it sit. If the tank is full to the top, there's no room for the humid air to get in to cause it to start rusting. Then you can sleep soundly at night not worrying about the 10% ethanol solution in your tank.

·
Registered
ZX10RR
396 Posts
I was able to siphon the fuel just fine with a small hose and a bit of suction. Its fairly easy and you really leave almost nothing in, you can probably after that just leave it open and the remaining fuel should evaporate quickly.

In reallity I wouldnt worry at all about it and id just fill the tank with fuel as much as possible and thats it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been pulled off the blood thinners and I'm back in business. Those dang pills were $500 a month!

RIP Skydork, I just saw your reply today. 😢

1 - 4 of 4 Posts