Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you can swap the shock through the big hole in the swingarm?
I can get the top bolt ok.
I want to be able to swap to a softer setup for the road

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
Do you have oem shock in the bike? If so, don't change it. Shock is set up for suspension not comfort although I ride a lot and never have comfort problem.

You're always busy, but in an interesting way, not the typical vendor hooked way.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Does anyone know if you can swap the shock through the big hole in the swingarm?
You can use a jack between the rear tire and subframe or a basketball.. inflate and deflate..

The best is a pair of Jack stands from Pit Bull that support the bike with the pegs.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Do you have oem shock in the bike? If so, don't change it. Shock is set up for suspension not comfort although I ride a lot and never have comfort problem.

You're always busy, but in an interesting way, not the typical vendor hooked way.
Scout , I would never take any mechanical advice from you !ahahahah

Getting your suspension resprung to your weight with proper sag is essential to happy brappppp!:x

·
Registered
197 Posts

Gen5? Depending on shock length if you take off the rear wheel the swingarm will drop enough to squeeze the shock out between subframe/swingarm.

And a modified top bracket helps also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

i have a mupo shock with a 115 spring and only 10mm seat foam.
I hit a bump yesterday and i swear im an inch shorter now lol.
Bike exits the corner superbly now but on the road im not too fussed about awsome corner exit speed. Id rather save my spine a bit.
Ive changed shock loads but never tried to wothout removing the tank.
Ive got titanium top mount with thread in it so its ok to take bolt in and out but i need to be able to get the shock out of the swing arm somehow.
Maybe i will give it a go at the weekend. Just wondered if anyone has tried it already to save me the agro trying?

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
682 Posts
I've seen homemade tools done before (like on my FZ09 for instance) for an easy shock removal. +1 to that if you want to swap shocks back and forth for an independent street/track set-up.

Also I have to agree with Scout though in a sense. If comfort is solely your goal, and you've got like 3" chicken strips, you can do whatever you want. If you plan to ride aggressively at ANY point then I would stick with OEM. The Frt and Rr suspension are designed to work together to output a certain ride frequency (in other words they work together to settle the bike when the suspension is acting). For a race bike, you want a ride frequency with VERY short wavelengths (aka a stiff suspension). Certain disruption to the ride frequency whether that be via poor compression damping, rebound, pre-load, etc. can result in a pogo effect. There's a reason suspension tuning is an actual service some dealers provide and it's not cheap because it's tedious. The last thing you want is to enter a corner hot and all the sudden the ass-end of the bike starts pogo-ing and dancing on you and then you wake up to find out you're the victim of a RNickeyMouse YouTube video lmao.

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
I've seen homemade tools done before (like on my FZ09 for instance) for an easy shock removal. +1 to that if you want to swap shocks back and forth for an independent street/track set-up.

Also I have to agree with Scout though in a sense. If comfort is solely your goal, and you've got like 3" chicken strips, you can do whatever you want. If you plan to ride aggressively at ANY point then I would stick with OEM. The Frt and Rr suspension are designed to work together to output a certain ride frequency (in other words they work together to settle the bike when the suspension is acting). For a race bike, you want a ride frequency with VERY short wavelengths (aka a stiff suspension). Certain disruption to the ride frequency whether that be via poor compression damping, rebound, pre-load, etc. can result in a pogo effect. There's a reason suspension tuning is an actual service some dealers provide and it's not cheap because it's tedious. The last thing you want is to enter a corner hot and all the sudden the ass-end of the bike starts pogo-ing and dancing on you and then you wake up to find out you're the victim of a RNickeyMouse YouTube video lmao.
yes, but let me clarify. oem suspension is set up for flick and throttle. If soft shock, pegs will strike asphalt as MORE throttle is needed to lift the bike into engineering turning specs; so soft suspension is a no no with any super bike. The throttle, even just cracked, in the turn, keeps the oem suspension working; the REAR turns the bike, not the front; the front flick sets up the turn, not the rear; and some weight into the turn finishes the formula.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Every decent racer has a selection of springs to adjust the amount of movement for different tracks.
Im not a racer but the bumpy uk roads are nothing like the smooth uk tracks.
Its all about compramise with suspension.
I just need to try find easier way as im fed up with removing my tank and seat unit.
I will try soon and post results.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Every decent racer has a selection of springs to adjust the amount of movement for different tracks.
Im not a racer but the bumpy uk roads are nothing like the smooth uk tracks.
Its all about compramise with suspension.
I just need to try find easier way as im fed up with removing my tank and seat unit.
I will try soon and post results.
Never looked at semi active suspension like mechatronic from Ohlins?

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
682 Posts
Does anyone have the physical/mechanical specs on the OEM shock spring?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Really no easy way about it because the swing arm has to be freely suspended off the ground. Never thought of the basketball trick with jacks stands, that would probably be the easiest. I went to home depot and bought a long threaded bolt that fit all the way through that massive swing arm pivot point and just suspended the rear of the bike from the garage rafters with two ratchet straps held in place with some nuts at the end. Thing wasn't going nowhere but requires access to your garage rafters.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really no easy way about it because the swing arm has to be freely suspended off the ground. Never thought of the basketball trick with jacks stands, that would probably be the easiest. I went to home depot and bought a long threaded bolt that fit all the way through that massive swing arm pivot point and just suspended the rear of the bike from the garage rafters with two ratchet straps held in place with some nuts at the end. Thing wasn't going nowhere but requires access to your garage rafters.
I can suspend the bike ok. Ive done it a few times with a jack but i have removed the tank so many times that the threads are getting worn so i was hoping i could find a simpler way to do it.
Ive no spare time recently so i probably wont get round to trying for ages

·
Registered
146 Posts
You can use a jack between the rear tire and subframe or a basketball.. inflate and deflate..

The best is a pair of Jack stands from Pit Bull that support the bike with the pegs.
Basketball?!?! Genius! I think I might finally be able to adjust my preload so I can stop pogoing, although I must say I've gotten used to it, and can handle it better, but yeah, still sucks!

No, I haven't tried using my squat/power rack and ratchet straps. Kinda scared and lazy tbh. The basketball though, now that's an idea.

·
Registered
707 Posts
The basketball trick sound uber clever. Would love to see a photo of it in action.

Reactions: evilaugust

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Its so easy if you have no cat.
Even easier if you have standard belly pan.
You tip the bike over on its side stand and prop the bike up with an axle stand under the center mount for the cat.
My axle stands fit perfectly around the mount.
Cable tie front brake on so bike doesnt move.
I used axle stands with a long bar located through the cat mount to swap my swing arm.
You do need to steady the bike for swing arm swaps though. I used rope!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts