Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to hear thoughts on using earplugs when riding. How many of you use or don't use em.
I consider plugs to be an integral part of my riding gear.
Went on a short ride recently without them and the windblast was unbearable.

·
Registered
242 Posts
i never liked wearing anything in my ears when i ride. i rode once with an IPOD because a couple of my friends would and they liked the background music. I dont really prefer it. Too much of a distraction. My Shoei never let that much noise thru and i had a street fighter

maybe a better helmet is in call for?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I wear earplugs anytime I'll be going more than about 40 mph....which is really about every ride i go on.

I don't think anyone realizes how loud wind noise actually is. Try wearing earbuds from an Ipod or something, and turn it up so you can hear it at 60 mph. remember that volume level.

now go home and listen to it in your living room, at that same volume level. Its outrageously loud.

I'm a firm believer that you can accumulate some major hearing damage on a bike over 100,000 miles, just like listening to an ipod at 85% volume will make you deaf after 100 hours. Wear your earplugs people.

·
Registered
265 Posts
i use headphones for boring commuting stuff, i dont have any music on that could ramp me up, its not mellow im just hard to ramp up(one of my lower skill level good friends uses music and starts to rock out, makes me extremely nervous).
the earbuds go IN my ears and work like poor earplugs, but i keep my ipod in my jacket pocket so i can just pause it super quick if i need to actually focus on something.
earplugs for sure at track, even on the supermotos and minibikes im for earplugs.

have a chatterbox on one of my helmets, never use it, sound quality sucks for music becuase there on top of your ears and its not good enough for cell phone convo, which i hated trying anyway because it made your commute feel like you were just gaiming with your buddy.

and helmet quality isnt the deal, im using 2 different commuter helmets right now, ones arai, ones KBC, one for night and one for day, another for track(arai), and another for supermoto(shoei) and mini(the same kbc). not to say helmet quality doesnt help but its about being used to the random irrelevant noise being deadened for you. its just unnecessary hearing dmg, but dont take my word for it... i wear headphones and thats worse then nothing.... boring.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
yeah I wear them when I ride makes it all that much better and you can actually hear what your exhaust sounds like with out all wind noise...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I started wearing plugs after reading an editorial in Sport Rider mag by the editor Kunistugu.
He claims that most riders suffer significant loss of hearing after years of riding.
It starts with a constant ringing which gets louder and I think its called tinitis.
The plugs are not for exhaust noise its for the windblast.
As for the helmet, I wear an Arai corsair V. I don't think its the choice of helmet has anything to do with it.
Ever notice EVERY roadracer (Spies, Rossi etc) wears em.
For those of you that don't wear them, just try em...you will wonder how you got by without them

·
Registered
410 Posts
For those of you that don't wear them, just try em...you will wonder how you got by without them
:+1:

I've never known anyone who tried them for a bit and decided to discontinue wearing them.

Give them an honest chance too....don't just take a 5 minute ride and say "meh, they're uncomfortable" and pitch them. Try them out for a couple rides. After a few rides they aren't uncomfortable at all.

Or you can deal with the unrelenting ringing when you go to bed at night. god that sucks.....

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I always have earplugs in, for cummuting I use something from a company called earfuse (earfuze.com) and listen to my ipod, when riding I wear foam earplugs so that I don't go deaf, damn LOR exhaust :badteeth:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Plugs will defiantly save your hearing. Actually you can hear better without the wind noise. Also improves concentration on the track.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I use earbuds on my Ipod. The sennhausers I have block out a lot of noise. I listen a just under half volume. GOOD fitting earbuds greatly reduce the volume needed to hear the music because they block out the outside noises. On my Zune I had to listen to the volume on 17 of 20 with cheap Philip's. 14 with Sonys and 9 with Sennhauser 300x's. If I am riding for 10 minutes or more I am geared up and this includes the Ipod.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Custom molded ear plugs at the track and custom molded earphones on rides. (http://www.bigearinc.com/home/Default.aspx) Pricey, but I have sensitive ear canals and lost enough of my hearing on active duty. Protecting what's left is worth it.

edit: for reference, I only use maybe a 1/4 volume on my iPod with the molded earphones v/s over 3/4 volume with Shure E2's I previously used.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
In town short quick rides it's earplugs.
Rides of any distance 30 mins. saddle time I listen to my ipod,at about 1/2 volume.
Hell if I were a pro-rider I'd be wearing them Bose noise reduction headphones,when you got a loud-ole megaphone blasting away by your right foot and all!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm with the earplug users, most of the time. On my commute (1 hour all highway speeds) all the time, around town, usually can go without!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Custom molded ear plugs at the track and custom molded earphones on rides. (http://www.bigearinc.com/home/Default.aspx) Pricey, but I have sensitive ear canals and lost enough of my hearing on active duty. Protecting what's left is worth it
What model do you use? Do you like them? Better than foam type?
They are pricey but would consider buying.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I wear plugs. Once in a while, for the 10 minute ride to work, I get lazy and leave them at home. But, about 95% of the time, I wear plugs.

I recently had a hearing test done for a job application and smoked it. I shoot guns regularly and ride every chance I get, all with hearing protection. So, it works!

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,134 Posts
Ear plugs for me as well, It cut's my fatique down some what (MHO) and because my exhaust is freakin loud..

1 - 20 of 61 Posts