Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, well I have always wondered what kinda power increase E85 will give me and I haven't seen any ZX10 dyno runs so today I put fresh 93 octane in the tank and did some runs even though the weather outside was absolute shit.

I then siphoned out all the fuel in the tank and then ran the bike til it died to have the most E85 in the tank. Filled up about 3 gallons of E85 which is $3.20 a gallon here and did some pulls....

The peak numbers did not really make to much more with a max hp gain of about 3hp but the mid-range and down low really picked up with 7-8hp across the board. IT also picked up about 3ft lbs as well.

My Low mode in my ECU has a E85 map in it with about 35% added across the board and on the dyno to tune it for max power I had to add about 18% on top at Wide open throttle so there's some more adjusting needed in the ECU still, I'd like to add that 18% threw the top injectors instead of the lowers.

I would have charts to show you guys tonight but for some reason when I put it on my thumb drive it didn't copy all the runs :headshake so I'll have them tomorrow.

Just thought I'd share! :eek:ccasion1

***EDIT***

Here is the dyno chart. You can see it didnt pick up much of any top end power but it picks up 6-8hp everywhere else pretty much.

Attachments

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol yeah poor only 187 on pump... 190 on E85 though :p

Another note my lower fuel injectors were at 90% duty cycle when running at 14,500 rpm's so I either need to run that 18% more in the tops or up my fuel pressure which I have a walbro 255 in another pump housing just need to plumb in my FPR

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
No I have 2 separate maps, one for pump gas and one E85
This. Very important to have a special map for E85 or you will screw up your bike. E85 runs leaner and like Garth said he had to add an ADDITIONAL 18% on top of what GUHL already added in the E85 map for him.
Basically opposite of adding a methanol injection kit. Meth would flood the motor/foul plugs if no custom map was made.

I know a dumbass guy that was pouring straight meth into his gas tank on his 03 Cobra w/upgraded blower etc. Well one night we are out street racing our cars and he tells everyone to pull over he has a problem. His shit was knocking like crazy! 2 cylinders busted. He says " I don't know why that happened, I put meth in the tank since my injectors were maxing out!!" That gave us all a HUGE laugh on his dumb ass expense.

Moral of story is always ask someone that knows before just attempting to try something new.

Sorry to jack your thread Garth. Interesting to see your results. Aren't you using a much higher rate fuel pump, bigger injectors and fpr with that E85 map? The E85 requires nearly double the fuel flow requirements of normal gas man.
(example-a car running 850cc injectors needs 1200-1400cc injectors and double the LPH fuel pump rate to use E85)

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
I really want to see what your bike would put down using Q16 race fuel and a shit ton of timing added across the board. With your increased compression and built motor you should see really good gains with HIGH octane race gas.
VP even has an unleaded 109 octane race gas. Both oxygenated and non oxygenated. NON is the shit.

I always preferrred race gas over E85(and meth kits) because of not needing such huge injectors and a massive fuel pump(or dual pumps like in most turbo/SC cars need to run E85)

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Garth if you dont mind my asking, where did you pick up the Walbro pump from and for how much? Im looking into picking one up. And where are you getting E85 from? I have never seen it out in Cali

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
OP, I'm surprised Cali still sells gasoline. lol.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
OP, I'm surprised Cali still sells gasoline. lol.
and gasoline motors. fuckin hippies man. aside from the politics this state is AWESOME!! you saw the thread from last night for our meetup right? Its always awesome to be out here. Just the politics and minds of a bunch of people man. fuggin it up for people like me.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Garth if you dont mind my asking, where did you pick up the Walbro pump from and for how much? Im looking into picking one up. And where are you getting E85 from? I have never seen it out in Cali
I actually got one from a buddy here at work. but you can pick them um on ebay for a lil over 100 bucks... but you need a fuel pressure regulator as well and plumbing.

I can get E85 from the pump, they sell it here in FL at select stations. I paid $3.20 a gallon.... you can also get E-85R from sunoco or I think VP sells it as well.

I'm not entirely impressed with E85... maybe if I was boosted but apparently its actually only about 95 octane but yeah burns a ton of fuel and makes your fuel system max out pretty quickly.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Interesting stuff man... thanks for posting it up. I wonder why it picked up so much more in the midrange like that? I noticed it was the most pronounced at and around peak torque... what does your timing in that area look like compared to stock?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Garth did you test the e85 to see what percentage you got from the pump? Definitely makes a difference on a lot of things...

·
Registered
414 Posts
What are you reeving the bike to? Also why is there a large dip up top?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I suppose your E85 map has a different ignition map, Garth? Knock-resistance is really what makes E85 better in high tuned engines.

I havn´t tested E85 on non-turbo applications, but for turbo-engines E85 really allows for an easier life for the engine. Allowing for better cooling of the injected solution (35% more fuel) and better knock-resistance.

The big downside of running E85 is the need for 35% more fuel. Fuel tank is small enough as it is, and fuel injectors and fuel pump often needs to be replaced due to the higher demand of fuel.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting stuff man... thanks for posting it up. I wonder why it picked up so much more in the midrange like that? I noticed it was the most pronounced at and around peak torque... what does your timing in that area look like compared to stock?
Timing is pretty much the EURO timing map on this map, just has fuel added.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Garth did you test the e85 to see what percentage you got from the pump? Definitely makes a difference on a lot of things...
No I didnt but my buddy has got E85 from this same pump and its almost dead on close to 85%

·
Registered
860 Posts
No I didnt but my buddy has got E85 from this same pump and its almost dead on close to 85%
I test it every time I fill a can to go racing with. Street riding I just fill it up. I usually only use 2 different pumps that are about 40miles apart. I've had each of them give me 84% and 87%, one day it's one a week later it's different. You may not think that 3% makes a difference but it does. I spent a night at the track retuning to get back to where I was the previous trip because of the weaker fuel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts