Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got to do a bunch of testing today with my Dynojet Autotune with the PCV on my 2011. I was able to do a few runs from about 4k to redline (14k) as well as a bunch of around town cruising driving. I set my air fuel while cruising to 14.5:1 and my wide open throttle to 12.9:1

I did a few runs and accepted the trims the PCV told me it needed and after about 3-4 runs the trims were all "0" and a few 1's here and there.

So the autotune is supposed to keep it pretty spot on adjusting on the fly as well as keeping track of what needed to be changed. So after I had the map saved I pulled the Dynojet autotune o2 sensor and installed the Innovate o2 sensor back in.

Right away as I Was cruising I could see real time air fuel was pretty spot on right at 14.5:1 so I was pretty immediately happy to see that the autotune was doing its job. So the next step was to make sure that the Wide Open Throttle tune would be spot on.

Come to find out its pretty damn close, it was about .1 off from what the PCV was supposed to tune the bike to to what the innovate logger said. Now there will always be differences in o2 sensors so its almost like which one is more accurate but honestly as long as its tuning it within a .1 difference you then can tune for best mph by doing the same runs over and over again with richer or leaner maps.

I thought I would just let you guys know my AutoTune expirence. Its nice to know that this thing could atually work.

Next step would be to actually add a second o2 sensor bung and have the ran and logged on both systems to see the difference.

One more thing, my air fuel was a 12.78:1 Vs. it supposed to be 12.9:1 at wide open throttle..... I have heard that if the autotune cannot get a stable reading it will not set a trim value but it still will correct the tuning on the mode. Also one other thing while testing I had 2 different weather conditions as well so different air as well.

Just sharing some of my views on the Autotune system... some like it some hate it.... :thumbsup:

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really, if I had the opportunity to run a bazzaz I would, I had talked to them when I first got the bike but their stuff with autotune and shifter was over $1,000

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ok so now this brings up a question I've been woundering about for awhile. If I flash my ECU, whats the differance from that and Doing the Bazzaz ZFiQS with a autotune kit?
Does the tunner work with the ECU or does it override it?:dontknow:

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well heres the thing, the ECU flash right now since the tuning cable is not done yet from Guhl motors you can only get so far with tuning the ECU reasonably. I use the PCV to fine tune the bike. There isnt any ECU map that will work for all certain model bikes, you will always have to fine tune the bike.

Flashing the Stock ECU will remove the top speed restrictions and also open the secondary intake butterflies all the way for you and will also put timing back into the bike. The secondarys you could obviously pull your self but unless you get the KIT ecu or a flashed ECU you will still only be able to go 185-186mph top speeed and you will be missing some power with the timing pulled.

·
Registered
69 Posts
:ayyy::+2::+2::+2::+2:

Awesome, thanks. That is exactly what I have been diying to know. I just didnt want to add to the 15 page thread about ECU flashing.(it takes foreverrrr to read)

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when your not under a "load" you can be pretty lean, makes that MPG stay right around 50mpg to :-D

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hello
I’ve just brought a PCv and Autotune unit for my 2010 zx10r and also have bung installed in exhaust line.
Can I ask what your start up map you installed was?
Did you have the bike Dyno’ed after PCV and Auto tuner was installed?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Hello
I’ve just brought a PCv and Autotune unit for my 2010 zx10r and also have bung installed in exhaust line.
Can I ask what your start up map you installed was?
Did you have the bike Dyno’ed after PCV and Auto tuner was installed?
Got the same as you Baddie.Just use the map that is already installed in the PCV.After 2 days all the trims were 0's.And for Melbourne weather that was pretty cool.
Don't waste your money on the Dyno.I'm running at 13:4 everywhere and it's going great. Just my 02 cents.

·
Registered
553 Posts
After 2 days all the trims went to 0"s im guessing thats good....Im not sure if its coming pre mapped and the bike is for full blown track bike.

·
Registered
477 Posts
very interesting read this,so if the pcv and auto tune are doing what they should(your set afr targets) why would you want the more costly bazzaz over it????

·
Registered
946 Posts
excellent ! The big question being, how much is the power commander base map compensation.... As in, once flashed, are there any extremes in correction?? Know that with a stock ECU the power commander corrections can have some crazy big and small numbers.

thanks for your ground breaking R&D !!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Nice writeup!

Us Euro owners have problems mapping light load conditions, as our bikes are fitted with 2 OEM lambda sensors, and the ECU does its own "adjustments" making mapping light loads almost impossible with a PCV on euro gen 3 models (don´t know about the gen 4 yet). But when "the going gets tough", the ECU jumps to a built-in fuel-map, and that´s where the PCV comes into play.

I´m going to test more on this when snow goes away (maybe around end of April).

I´ve read a lot of tuners go for 13.2 AFR on gen 3´s.. The gen 4 is in a higher tune from the factory (cams, etc).. Is that why you chose 12.9 AFR?

I have one Q for you Garth.. Did the gen 3 PCV fit straight onto the gen4?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts