Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
alot of dyno's read different too.
i know one thing for sure any generation of the zx10r are powerhouses!!
or as i like to refer to mine as my smile machine.
anytime i am feeling sad or mad or whatever i jump on my 10r and blaze some backroads and instantly feel better!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The shop I went to actually confirmed the low octane = higher numbers theory (for most stockish bikes). Said he had a few bikes pick up 4 hp during a dyno shootout just by switching to 87 from 93... interesting stuff.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Shouldnt be running that low of an octane anyway should ya? Pretty sure should be running higher Octane. I always run supreme which is 91 octane here in the great white north

I dynoed mine and got 163 and i think it is low
Mods Full Akro Race System, BMC Filter and Power Commander with custom map

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's odd but that's what he said. Would be interesting to throw it back on the dyno with 87... The theory is you can unleash more power with lower octane fuel so long as you do not knock, and almost all stock bikes are set up so conservatively that they will not knock in stock form.

Still not sure I would try it but it is an interesting theory.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
my 04 made more HP on 87 than 93 and had approx 4* ign a advance. Don't lug it , no worries. I only run 87 in both my 07 ZX10R and my 07 ZX14. Any higher is just burning $$$'s. ...and that's with 10% corn fuel bull shit gas.

·
Registered
724 Posts
my 04 made more HP on 87 than 93 and had approx 4* ign a advance. Don't lug it , no worries. I only run 87 in both my 07 ZX10R and my 07 ZX14. Any higher is just burning $$$'s. ...and that's with 10% corn fuel bull shit gas.
You run 87 with that high of a comp ratio ? The manual says 91...so does the ECU drop the timing down if you run 87 ? Does anyone else run 87 ?????

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
It's odd but that's what he said. Would be interesting to throw it back on the dyno with 87... The theory is you can unleash more power with lower octane fuel so long as you do not knock, and almost all stock bikes are set up so conservatively that they will not knock in stock form.

Still not sure I would try it but it is an interesting theory.
You know I had a coworker that raced (I think sprint cars) on weekends & actually ran #1 plate for many years... & he told me they looked for the lowest octane gas for that same reason (able to create more horsepower with the faster burn). I always told him that that cannot be true, cause gas pump marketing tells me I need the more expensive supreme :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts