Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time I went to the chassis dyno with my race car, I think I used 4th gear. I'm going back tomorrow and wondering if there is a preferred gear. Seems like I remember someone suggesting top gear, or whatever is closest to 1:1 in the tranny. On the other hand, I'd like a good comparison between this trip and the last one. Does it make a difference?

Thanks.

·
Registered
860 Posts
We usually use 4th on 6 speeds and 3rd on 5 speeds (2 down from top gear). This was the dyno manufacturer's recomendation. One reason for not going in the top gear on a modern sportbike was because it's hard on the bearings in the drum to go over 180mph.

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
We usually use 4th on 6 speeds and 3rd on 5 speeds (2 down from top gear). This was the dyno manufacturer's recomendation. One reason for not going in the top gear on a modern sportbike was because it's hard on the bearings in the drum to go over 180mph.
Thanks...I always wondered why my ZX9R was dynoed in 6th geared and even the graph showed it did 171mph but when I dynoed my ZX10R they only went up to 4th gear same place same dyno. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Repp'd - good info.

I always wondered why they didn't do 6th gear runs with bikes too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
On Cars it's 1:1 or as close as you can get. Bikes would be the same. Last dyno i had my bike on they did it in 3rd. 4th was to fast it shut the dyno down. spun it to fast. I got some serious wheel spin too. :)

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
1:1 ratio is preferred, but honestly the dyno can account for the difference. We dyno some cars in 3rd here and some in 5th... all depends how much power they make.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you are just trying to measure horsepower, it doesn't make a difference. It will be the same either way. If you use a lower gear, you may get some wheel spin that could skew the reading a little. On the other hand, I was never crazy about putting that kind of load on my motors in 6th with only a electric fan keeping it cool. Third or fourth should do fine. Tuning your fuel curve is a different story though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.