Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick opinions/results requested. I haven't ever put a bike on the dyno and I'm curious to know if it's even worth the time & what kind of gains I should be looking at? Currently running some basic supplied Graves map on my flashed ECU.
Mods: BMC filter, full Graves, FT ECU flash, & PCV.

The real story is I got spanked by a friends BMW past like 150 :crying:, and from what I've heard the bikes gain the most on a dyno in the top end so I'd like to at least be nose-in-nose or whoop this mofo this summer haha!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
If you want your bike to run at it's best potential then yea getting it tuned to get the correct fueling will make a hell of a difference. At least it did for me and my old 2nd Gen.

I'm sure the same stands for the new Gen of ZX10r's too.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,687 Posts

You're already behind the power curve with your idea. The point of the dyno is to allow you to get improves based on a starting point. If you didn't record all the stuff BEFORE you started modding it, then you're barking up the wrong tree.

You can't reasonably expect to get dyno charts from the interweb here to try and figure out "how much power" you can get from it. It's not some magical thing that you strap to and it prints out a nice piece of paper. It is a tool to allow the user to figure out where to go and what to do from there. But that's dependent on the hardware in your motor already. And you'd have to find someone that tunes with the FTECU stuff to expect any sort of improvement. :dontknow:

My recommendations would be to improve the aerodynamics of the bike, change your gearing, or buy a BMW.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

You can't reasonably expect to get dyno charts from the interweb here to try and figure out "how much power" you can get from it.
I'm just trying to get an idea what kind of improvements to expect off the dyno and if its worth hundreds of dollars. I'm sure there's plenty of people out there with similar mods that can attest to an avg. power gain from stock or an avg. power gain after mods tuned vs un-tuned.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Danger will robinson....

gen5 are killers.....but if you are off with gearing they just dont do it...

my friend was -1F, and told me the bike is just getting nowhere... it just revs. (this is hi speed racing), I told him you need to change +1R and keep the front same 17-40, he is now killing bmws, all day..

the bmws 16 make reflash, full exhaust, filter, etc, 191 on that dyno, his gen5 made 199 on same day dyno... a gen 4 made 180 and my gen4 made 190... so gen5 are very very fast but you have to gear them correctly.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
when we started the tune we where on 191 hp and ended with 199hp...

the ETVs need some work
Thanks for the info! Did your friend convert over to a 520 chain, or stick with the 525. Also is a speedo-healer needed after the sprocket change or...? I did not see a healer available for the gen4's let alone the gen5's.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,687 Posts
What mpp is saying about the ETVs is correct. Whether or not the FT ECU can tune that is the question. According to their website, the software can remove the ETV restrictions, but that doesn't mean it can tune them. So I don't know on that. :dontknow:

You need to brush up on how the G4/G5 get speed input. There's no speedohealer available since the traction control and ABS use the wheel speed sensors for that and speed is a byproduct from that off the rear wheel. It can't be corrected with a piggyback box. And that should answer your question about the sprocket change also.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
What mpp is saying about the ETVs is correct. Whether or not the FT ECU can tune that is the question. According to their website, the software can remove the ETV restrictions, but that doesn't mean it can tune them. So I don't know on that. :dontknow:

You need to brush up on how the G4/G5 get speed input. There's no speedohealer available since the traction control and ABS use the wheel speed sensors for that and speed is a byproduct from that off the rear wheel. It can't be corrected with a piggyback box. And that should answer your question about the sprocket change also.
Thanks for the info. Wasn't sure if the wheel speed sensor was just for ABS/TC or if it also read out current speed. I haven't had a bike with so many electronics before haha, my prev bikes were R6's and a CBR1000RR w/o ABS! Hell, I just learned how to completely turn off TC last weekend. I learn new stuff all the time on this bike :lol:

·
Registered
2,161 Posts

You're already behind the power curve with your idea. The point of the dyno is to allow you to get improves based on a starting point. If you didn't record all the stuff BEFORE you started modding it, then you're barking up the wrong tree.

You can't reasonably expect to get dyno charts from the interweb here to try and figure out "how much power" you can get from it. It's not some magical thing that you strap to and it prints out a nice piece of paper. It is a tool to allow the user to figure out where to go and what to do from there. But that's dependent on the hardware in your motor already. And you'd have to find someone that tunes with the FTECU stuff to expect any sort of improvement. :dontknow:

My recommendations would be to improve the aerodynamics of the bike, change your gearing, or buy a BMW.
:iamwithstupid:

If the bike can physically make 200hp in the weather conditions where you're at and it's making 197hp right now, the "best tune" will net you 3+ hp. If your online tune is only good for 190hp you can get 10+hp.............Nobody on the internet can tell you where your bike sits right now power wise, all we can do is guess which is a crap shoot. On top of that there are so many non riding people out there, they couldn't beat a 250 on their liter bike regardless how many times they flashed their ecus.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I gotta agree with the gearing thought. My gen 5 seemed like a different bike with the -1f and 520 chain, more torque on rolling start runs. it just seems like it wants to take off all the time with no hesitation. Lost a very little on top end but I really dont run in the 180s anyway. I am taking it to have it flashed and dyno in Atlanta end of the week. I will post a before and after if I can , for you. It has a shorty slip on ,cat eliminated,air filter and smog plates.

·
Registered
578 Posts
ddipaola, contact duane at hoffer performance in brant Michigan. he has done both of our gen4's, and has dyno'd a gen 5 or two. 989-862-5353, he has done over 12 bikes for me from dirt, to supermoto, to street bikes, and race/trackday bikes. wouldn't take my stuff to ANYONE ELSE, IN MICHIGAN.

tell him eric and lynne sent you. he does woolich, and flashtune flashes, ect... duane tunes the bike to be more rideable, and manageable. if you are just looking for a high dyno number, their are "tuners" out there who will "tell you what you want to hear." Duane, isn't like that, he makes the bikes run, you wont be disappointed.

Ski

1 - 15 of 15 Posts