Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It depends on a lot of things, but for the most part 50% (or more) power than stock is too much for the stock geometry. That being said, you can ride the hell out a bike like that in any manner you want... you're just playing with fire. A bike that will roll the tire off the ground at real 135 mph is pretty dangerous on surface roads at surface temperatures with street tires on it, but only when you try to ride it like it's on a race track. Same can be said of a stock 1K bike though, right? If you live on the side of the tire, you probably have more power than you need right now anyway. :)

Long bikes/turbo bikes/Haybuses have a terrible reputation of not being able to turn. I'm here to tell you that's 90% indian and 10% arrow. No, it will not cut faster lap times that an appropriately set up road course bike.... but they will cut some pretty astonishing times if you know how to ride them. When I was trying to roadrace they had an older guy (40+) in the expert class that fielded a GSXR-1K... mid/back pack white plate. Just for giggles, he brought a 99% stock first gen haybus out to practice days (everything stock excepts for -2/+4 gearing, and DOT tires!) and would outlap almost every yellow plate rider out there... maybe 5-10% off his expert pace on his racebike. That bike was amazingly capable, and seeing that in person changed the way I look at almost every streetbike since. A huge amount of stretch/lower is of course a serious burden, but less than 6" is more than worth the trade off. Ground clearance gets tricky when you start lowering too much... I still run aftermarket rearsets to keep my feet off the deck, but I will take the belly pan off for daily driving shenanigans.

IMO, if you're not actually competing on a closed course with official timing, it doesn't make a damn bit of difference which type of bike you think is faster... it is about your enjoyment (or getting from point a to b for work/life). Riding on the street is risk management, and I have more fun and can manage risk much more readily on a slightly harder to turn turbo bike than I can on an otherwise stock bike that I have to push dangerously hard on the side of the tire to get the same level of enjoyment. Pulling the trigger on 300hp for a few gears is far, far more fun than trying to put a puck down on surface streets once I factor in all the BS that comes with either. If I go to an actual race track, exactly the opposite is true, and I bring a different bike for that. Both bikes are still a huge amount of fun, but I've done both and know which one I like and where. :)

TL;DR: Bring the proper tool for the job, and don't get your jobs confused. ;)
Yessir! Basically all comes down to personal preference and whatever you are most comfortable on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
501 Posts
Dude right on, I feel you on the power vs stretch deal, never actually ridden a busa or anything larger than a liter that was a sports bike style bike. Have ridden an st1100 but that was way the fuck back and I guess it was still tons of fun, just a ton more effort to throw back and forth. As for risk management, I am 100% with that. Street riding at anything close to the dumb ass way I tend to ride is a death wish and althoug I have chilled I still must have one cause I'm still on a liter bike in California. Thanks for all the replies and the link to the build thread. Appreciate the time and energy you spent answering.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I'm seriously going to post some other graphs from different bikes just to get this back on topic.... C'mon folks, post your sheets. If you have some ET/MPH to go with it, even better! :)

Here is the current torque winner on my list.....

21 - 27 of 27 Posts