Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dyno Jet Quick-Shifter for Gen 3's

Hi Guys

After watching the video of the BMW s1000r with the quick shift, i want one.

I was just wondering if anyone has got the dynojet quick shift working with a Gen3?

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
I'm looking into the complete setup of getting the pcv,auto tune unit, lcd screen, quick shifter ect...I know the pcv and auto and screen are coming to me in the future, but I just power shift my bike like a freaking bitch and thats the same results in the certain sense of a quick shifter!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not so worried about the screen or auto-tune as yet, later down the track maybe BUt....

I have been reading a little about the QS and its seems there is some confusion about the need for an ignition module on an 08.

·
5,932 Posts
you dont need it if you get the auto tune unit!! Has a O2 sensor in it for going in the pipe!! a tre will do just fine with a pvV and auto tune!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
you dont need it if you get the auto tune unit!! Has a O2 sensor in it for going in the pipe!! a tre will do just fine with a pvV and auto tune!!

I don't mean to be rude, but this makes no sense? Thanks for your replies though.

Auto-tune, TRE Dont have anything to do with a quick shifter.

It seems that due to the Gen3's extra injectors to safely run a Quick Shifter the shifter needs to interrupt ignition rather than fuel. Hence the need for an ignition module.

Sorry for not being clear. The purpose of this thread was to find out if anyone has the QS installed on a Gen3 and if so how did it go and what did they need.

·
5,932 Posts
I have been reading a little about the QS and its seems there is some confusion about the need for an ignition module on an 08.

Thats why I posted about the auto tune and tre shit man!! You stated whats the confusion about the need for a ignition module on an 08/09 and I posted back you dont need it if you go with a tre,auto,pcv ect. Dude best way I can say this is I have had a air shift/quick shifter on the last two of my bikes and its nice because you basically pull the throttle and set where you want your bike to shift at ect. But you can do the same thing basically by power shifting and just no using your clutch...good luck with the thread, I wont post any more buddy!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thats why I posted about the auto tune and tre shit man!! You stated whats the confusion about the need for a ignition module on an 08/09 and I posted back you dont need it if you go with a tre,auto,pcv ect. Dude best way I can say this is I have had a air shift/quick shifter on the last two of my bikes and its nice because you basically pull the throttle and set where you want your bike to shift at ect. But you can do the same thing basically by power shifting and just no using your clutch...good luck with the thread, I wont post any more buddy!!
Ah i see you mean just shift with no clutch without the QS with all the above hardware?

Not too keen on that.

But thanks anyway.

·
5,932 Posts
power shifting is basically when you let off on the throttle and just shift with out using the clutch..

heres someone explaing it better then I can, not the best at explaining lol, more of a hands on guy!!

Under hard acceleration, clutchless shifting SAVES clutch and transmission wear if performed correctly. At levels of moderate acceleration, it's still not hard to shift without the clutch, but because there isn't as much tension on the transmission parts, you're probably more apt to "clunk" it.

The reason this is better than using the clutch during hard acceleration is the plates don't have to reengage following the shift. It works the same wet or dry clutch, and wet clutches can be destroyed just as quickly as dry ones. Another item that saves the clutch are aftermarket springs - they really cut down chatter, and will virtually eliminate unnecessary slippage.

Learn how to power shift good enough and save your self the money!!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I'll give it a shot.

You used to just get a GP switch (solenoid that mounted on shift rod) that grounded the coil pack temporarily allowing for a full throttle, clutchless upshift. This works great on bikes with one set of injectors. With our 3rd gens, and their two sets of injectors you want to kill the ignition as opposed to the fuel. Cutting only fuel to the primary injectors would allow the secondaries to release residual fuel which allows for combustion since theres still spark.

Ideal would be to have an ignition module to kill spark for clutchless upshifts due to two sets of injectors.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I want a quickshift for my 2008 also because my tranny get's hung up at redline on a heavy load from 1st to 2nd gear.

TRE and Auto Tune have nothing to do with the Dynojet Quickshifter...and the air shifters available are nice for drag racing but and are not worth a damn on the street or roadrace track.

Depends on what type of riding you do.

Clutchless shifting is what I do but tranny still gets hung up sometimes and needs a quickshifter for track or street applications in my opinion if you are shifting at redline often.:cool:

·
5,932 Posts
see I dont know everything but thats a solid point of view and I could see where your coming from!! I'm no mechanic but know enough, dont beat me up!! I had a quick shifter on the last two bikes and with this I just power shift, never get hung up in any gears...Practice makes perfect lol

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll give it a shot.

You used to just get a GP switch (solenoid that mounted on shift rod) that grounded the coil pack temporarily allowing for a full throttle, clutchless upshift. This works great on bikes with one set of injectors. With our 3rd gens, and their two sets of injectors you want to kill the ignition as opposed to the fuel. Cutting only fuel to the primary injectors would allow the secondaries to release residual fuel which allows for combustion since theres still spark.

Ideal would be to have an ignition module to kill spark for clutchless upshifts due to two sets of injectors.
So I will need the ignition module after all.

Anyone have a rough idea on price for IM?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I want a quickshift for my 2008 also because my tranny get's hung up at redline on a heavy load from 1st to 2nd gear.

TRE and Auto Tune have nothing to do with the Dynojet Quickshifter...and the air shifters available are nice for drag racing but and are not worth a damn on the street or roadrace track.

Depends on what type of riding you do.

Clutchless shifting is what I do but tranny still gets hung up sometimes and needs a quickshifter for track or street applications in my opinion if you are shifting at redline often.:cool:
Have you tried GP (1 up, 5 down) shifting? I swapped mine before I put 1 mile on the bike. I clutchless shift ALOT and have never gotten hung up on the 1-2 or hit a false neutral. Its nice because the weight of your foot/toe helps the bike go into second as opposed to lifting up.

Just some food for though. :thumbsup:

·
5,932 Posts
http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/powercommander_iii_usb.aspx?mk=8&mdl=62&yr=2008

Have you tried GP (1 up, 5 down) shifting? I swapped mine before I put 1 mile on the bike. I clutchless shift ALOT and have never gotten hung up on the 1-2 or hit a false neutral. Its nice because the weight of your foot/toe helps the bike go into second as opposed to lifting up.

Just some food for though.

Thats how my setup was on my last cbr1000rr, loved it when racing on the street cause all I did was set my foot on the shifter and push down, track loved it too, didnt have to worry about corners and down shifts cause your kicking your foot up

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
So I will need the ignition module after all.

Anyone have a rough idea on price for IM?
Don't think its a mandatory thing, but its definitely optimal and better safe than sorry.

As far as an ignition module goes price wise, I have no idea being you'd have to have it posted to Australia. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't think its a mandatory thing, but its definitely optimal and better safe than sorry.

As far as an ignition module goes price wise, I have no idea being you'd have to have it posted to Australia. :thumbsup:

I said rough price :lol:

Dyno jet website says $266 for QS and $355 for IM plus freight to OZ might not be worth it for me.

As for not being mandatory, what could the ill effect of not using the IM?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
The prices posted on the Dynojet site are full MSRP. The going rate is actually much cheaper.

I'm sure others may know more about the subject - but like I said, my primary concern would be the secondary injectors still firing. Fuel in the combustion chamber combined with spark and you'd still have combustion.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
i just brought a 2nd hand one for 180usd 230aud delivered

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi Guys

After watching the video of the BMW s1000r with the quick shift, i want one.

I was just wondering if anyone has got the dynojet quick shift working with a Gen3?
post the video :dontknow::dontknow:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts