Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice from experience here, not hearsay.
I'm looking for a good balancing solution for my new wheels. These ceramic beads would be ideal if they work, so I wouldn't need to have them balanced or have ugly weights on my wheels.
When I searched here, the only thread I came across was Desiel's year old thread on "Balancing beads turning into powder", though he was using the Counteract beads at that time and also said he never had any issues with the Dynabeads personally.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
33 Posts
The previous owner of my Gen 4 used the Dynabeads when he installed a new set of Q3’s. They only had a couple of hundred miles on them when I bought the bike. I have ridden about 1,500 miles with them and the bike is real smooth at speed. I can’t say how they are long term but as of now I am happy with them and would use them again.

·
Registered
330 Posts
From experience, Dynabeads also get 'ground-down' to powder over time.
I used them on my old 600 and went back to weights. I experienced some funny balance issues especially in the rear tire. I don't have any empirical data that says they're better or worse, they just weren't right for me.

It's a relatively inexpensive experiment, so I say give it a try for yourself. You can always go back to weights.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. Seems like maybe they are only good for a certain amount of time? I guess it may make it a hassle if you are constantly changing tires, though if that's not the case, then maybe just replacing the beads every 2-3k miles may be recommended.
Still waiting to hear back from them. I'll post up their response too.
Thanks again!

Any others that have used these?

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now I’m a little concerned with these after reading the other thread. I guess time will tell for me…

I believe whan said he had no issues with the Dynabeads though. Was just the Counteract beads that turned to powder in his experience.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,018 Posts
PM hellsrazor. He will give you the low-down. I dont think he was too fond of them.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
pm don, he loves em so much he'll probably give you all the extras he has laying around

this topics been covered multiple times, i suggest trying the search function

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pm don, he loves em so much he'll probably give you all the extras he has laying around

this topics been covered multiple times, i suggest trying the search function

I did use the search, thanks. The only relevant thread that came up was the one I discussed in post #1.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I looked into them last year, the sales man said that the tire will become unbalanced at high speeds.. Well how fast is that? he Said he wouldn't recommend them over 140mph..
I asked what happens? he said I would feel the wheels vibrate, not enough to loose control but that I would definitely feel it. so I didn't bother getting them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I went through the box of spare stuff that I have for the bike and it turns out I have the Counteract beads. I guess I can expect that my wheels will go out of balance eventually and have that nice powdery mess.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Yep, I was also going to say ask Hellzrazor, i know he used them, but i dont think he liked them too much

·
Registered
330 Posts
The Dynabeads I used lasted for two tire changes (~5K kms each). They were still usable, but I told my tire guy to dump them because of the issues I mentioned in my previous post. The dust is easy enough to clean off the rim.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After all my research, I think I'm just gonna stick with the ugly weights after all. Just don't want the hassle or worry of the beads breaking down.
Thanks to everyone for your help!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Wise choice not to use them. On a Harley they are great. Lol

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Seen video's of people (rednecks Lol) using airsoft BB's in their giant truck tires. It's pretty weird being able to hear them rolling around in there when they come to a stop.
Not sure I'd try that. Maybe, only if I had nothing better to do though........or say, more than 7 or 8 beers I guess? Anything's fun then ; )

·
Kawasaki Whisperer
1,687 Posts
I was wondering about those....guy I bought our silver Gen1 from told me the bike shop he uses, uses those bead things. He claims they are better than the standard wheel weights, but they are not. I had looked them up and saw they disintegrate.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts